I am re-applying this cycle. Should I retake this class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atsext2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year and did not get in although I got an interview. When I talked to the pt school advisor she suggested I retake physics I because I got a c. My science gpa is 2.7 and overall 3.3. I currently am a pt tech, which I wasn't when I applied last year, and am gaining a lot of experience. I have to work because I have a wife and son whom I must support because my wife currently is unemployed. I don't really have time or money to retake this physics class IMO. Would the experience be enough to help me get in this cycle? Should I also retake the GRE, I got a 990 on the old GRE? I would like to get some other folks opinions on this issue because I am pretty stressed about what I should do. Thanks. If you need me to clarify anything let me know as well I may not have given enough detail.

Members don't see this ad.

Given the sort amount of time you have to make any improvements for this cycle, I say retake the GRE and get a minimum 1000 on the old scale (the minimum for a lot of programs) and try to get your sci GPA to a 2.75, which are the lowest minimums I've seen at any school. If there are other schools that had lower requirements someone chime in, maybe I'm just not aware of them. I think you can get that extra .05 increase if you retake a class you got a C in and get an A. While PTCAS schools will average the 2 grades I know there are a few non-PTCAS schools that take last grade standing instead, which would bump you up even more.

Also, definitely explain on PTCAS that you have a job and family when asked to explain why your GPA might not reflect your abilities. If you have a well written explanation I think it can go a long way.

Last edited:
2.7 is pretty low...I think you should try to retake physics...maybe you can check if there are any community colleges in the area that offer that class in the evening?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK thanks. I will try to take the class again.

There are schools with 2.5 pre req GPA requirements. I have even seen one with a 2.0 minimum. I know this because I am in the same boat as you in regards to grades. However, your best bet would be to retake the class and improve your GPA.

Do you think because I got an interview last year I will get one this year even if I don't do a retake? I am still improving my application with experience and GRE. I just would find it hard to believe I wouldn't get an interview again because of not taking the class. I will have to take the class in the spring anyway since it is so far into the semster so I will not even have it completed by the time the interviews roll around.

I would retake several pre-requisites to boost that GPA. It's a critical number in your application, because it predicts how well you can cope with the demands of PT school. Retake Physics, get a B or A, and retake one or two other classes. Most schools won't look at your if your pre-req GPA is below 3.0. Most students have a pre-req GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Kevin

That is what I thought I would do; however, I spoke with an adivsor and they said that they only look at completed coursework and not in progress. This means that the two classes I choose to retake wouldn't even count towards my pre-req gpa unless I completed them before the application deadline.