I am taking a course now. Should I ask professor for LOR after I finish the course or before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuwhenucme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know when the best time to ask for the LOR.

I am taking a course now, which will end in May. I am applying this year.

I don't know should I ask professor for LOR before the end of this class or later.
I felt awkward to ask before I get my grade, because I don't know how much it is before the end of this class.
But after the class, I may not be able to find the professor easily, or talk with her in person. And I am applying this June so I want to let her know as soon as possible so she has enough time to write the letter.

Any good suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Rule of Thumb: It is best to give a letter writer at least a month of notice.

Go to their office hours and let them know you want a letter ASAP. In addition to giving them more time to write, it gives them a chance to know you a little better since they know you are hoping for a letter. Plus, most professors are not paid over the summer and after they submit final grades they will be about as responsive as casper the unfriendly ghost.

Reactions: 1 user
Rule of Thumb: It is best to give a letter writer at least a month of notice.

Go to their office hours and let them know you want a letter ASAP. In addition to giving them more time to write, it gives them a chance to know you a little better since they know you are hoping for a letter. Plus, most professors are not paid over the summer and after they submit final grades they will be about as responsive as casper the unfriendly ghost.

Thank you. But I don't want the professor have the impression that I am taking her course only because I want a letter from her. If I tell her before the end of the class, will she think I am working hard in the class because I want a good impression from her and get a good LOR afterwards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Therefore I always ask letters after the end of the class and after I got the grades.
But this one is almost approaching the submission date... so I have to think about when is the best time to ask her.

By the way, can I still submit my application without a letter? What is the general deadline for schools? July? August?

Honestly either is fine but some professors will be reluctant to write you one. The reason being is that they don't have much concrete evidence to speak to your academic ability that an admissions committee can see because you do not have a grade yet.

I don't know when the best time to ask for the LOR.

I am taking a course now, which will end in May. I am applying this year.

I don't know should I ask professor for LOR before the end of this class or later.
I felt awkward to ask before I get my grade, because I don't know how much it is before the end of this class.
But after the class, I may not be able to find the professor easily, or talk with her in person. And I am applying this June so I want to let her know as soon as possible so she has enough time to write the letter.

Any good suggestions?
Follow your instincts and wait until you know your grade. There is less rush to get LORs in than to submit the Primary application and get the transcripts verified.

If you're doing well in her class it shouldn't be a problem but if you're worried then go see her at your first opportunity during her next posted office hours, even if you're not ready to ask for the letter yet, even if you have no questions about the coursework, if only to shoot the breeze (in a non-creepy manner). The professor who recognizes you from positive outside of class interactions as well as your good performance is more likely to be willing to write you a good letter later, anyway. If this is a prof that's known you a while, it's even easier. And professors expect you to ask for LORs, they understand that it comes with the job.

By the way, can I still submit my application without a letter? What is the general deadline for schools? July? August?
Yes. Schools don't get the verified Primaries until the very end of June at the soonest. If LORs are received by end of August you'll be fine, even though final official deadlines vary from fall to early 2016.

Thank you. But I don't want the professor have the impression that I am taking her course only because I want a letter from her. If I tell her before the end of the class, will she think I am working hard in the class because I want a good impression from her and get a good LOR afterwards?

Why would she think you are only taking the class for a LoR? Professor's know that writing letters is a part of their job and that students taking their classes will request them.

Show her that you are interested in the material and that you enjoy the class. If you show her this, then such questions that you worry of will never cross her mind. However, if you ask her on the last day of class, she will likely barely known you among the MANY students she teaches, even if you go to office hours and seemed friendly. Have you not had professors who seemed to know you well from class and office hours, then the next semester they awkwardly ask "were you one of my previous students?" when you say "hello Prof. X".

I have read many LoRs for pre-med internship. It is painfully obvious when the professor has no basis to evaluate the student. If all they have to say is "X got an A in my class. X did well on assignments," I learn nothing. Your academic performance is already on the transcripts, LoRs serve largely to evaluate your character. If you want a good letter, especially since she's only known you for a couple months in a single class, you need her to start getting to know you immediately and more importantly that she should know you well enough for a strong letter.

One of my mentors gave me the idea to start going to office hours, and early on in the course, when you speak the professor in private (of course not the first time you guys speak, but after he or she recognizes your face a little), let them know you are applying to medical school, and you hope to perform well in their class, that the subject really interests you, etc., and then proceed to ask that if they agree to it, could they write you a strong letter of recommendation if they agree that you did well in the class at the end of the semester of quarter. I think they respect that honesty, and at the same time will keep that in mind evaluating what to say in a strong letter. On the other hand, it also forces you to work hard and be noticed because of the pressure lol.

I did this for two of my science classes, and the professors were very nice and receptive to it. I went to a public school with an overabundance of pre-meds.