I am taking a year off after graduation, what are my options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkiemedic

Reaction score
Hi!

I am non- us IMG.
I am taking a year out after graduation in June 2020 because I failed Step 2 CK and unable to apply in this cycle.
I do plan on applying for Match 2021.

During the year out I will retake Step 2 CK and Step 3, but what are my options in terms of what to do for the year. I am pretty sure that during interview season I will be asked what I am currently doing since graduation in June.

I have looked into research but I haven't been lucky to find anything because of the visa situation. I have also looked into online MPH programs aswell as MBAs.

I would just like any advice as to if there is a preferred route? or other things I could possibly look into doing that I haven't thought about. Thankkyyyoouuuu

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a plan B in terms of residency outside of the US? Having failed will disqualify you from the vast majority of the programs so I would consider alternative options at this point.

Cold-email programs in the specialty you'll pursue, asking to be a research volunteer.

There is nothing clinical for which you'd be eligible. You might be able to teach or tutor high school kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider pathology as one of your specialties...