I am taking the MCAT May 31st but only have time for 5 FLs. Is that ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sc4s2cg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asking this of all my friends, thought I would get you guys too.

So I need some outside opinion.

Plan: study MCAT from May 7th on (2 days after my finals end) using SDN's schedule, but starting from day 61.

Problem: If I stop by my scheduled MCAT date, May 31st, I will have only done 5 AAMCs.

Problem 2: If I delay, I can't delay by 10 days. Nearest MCAT is June 21st.

I would like to apply early. But according to the plan, I also won't have reviewed past TBR Ch7. If I do delay, I would be taking the MCAT the Thursday after the schedule ends. That's 1 week. It's also 3-4 weeks after my original schedule, and I won't get my score back until July 21 instead of June 30-July 2.

So... should I delay? Or will 5 FLs be good? My limit is May 17th.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many people do well without even taking practice exams, so don't sweat it if you "only" have 5 FLs to do. It's better than nothing.

I am asking this of all my friends, thought I would get you guys too.

So I need some outside opinion.

Plan: study MCAT from May 7th on (2 days after my finals end) using SDN's schedule, but starting from day 61.

Problem: If I stop by my scheduled MCAT date, May 31st, I will have only done 5 AAMCs.

Problem 2: If I delay, I can't delay by 10 days. Nearest MCAT is June 21st.

I would like to apply early. But according to the plan, I also won't have reviewed past TBR Ch7. If I do delay, I would be taking the MCAT the Thursday after the schedule ends. That's 1 week. It's also 3-4 weeks after my original schedule, and I won't get my score back until July 21 instead of June 30-July 2.

So... should I delay? Or will 5 FLs be good? My limit is May 17th.

It's doable without delaying. Assuming you aren't taking summer classes/work etc, you should be able to do 2 of tbr chaps in a day if req'd along with other stuff. Why do you think you can't review the whole book? Just man up and start studying now or study more during break. I would try and get as many FLs in the schedule - they are really good practice. So, if I were in your place, I would make a really good schedule today(spend at least a couple of hrs, write down what you're gonna do everyday from today) and start studying tomorrow.
Good luck :xf:

It's doable without delaying. Assuming you aren't taking summer classes/work etc, you should be able to do 2 of tbr chaps in a day if req'd along with other stuff. Why do you think you can't review the whole book? Just man up and start studying now or study more during break. I would try and get as many FLs in the schedule - they are really good practice. So, if I were in your place, I would make a really good schedule today(spend at least a couple of hrs, write down what you're gonna do everyday from today) and start studying tomorrow.
Good luck :xf:

My summer classes begin in June, so I'm good in that department.

I've been studying on and off since last summer and took 3 FLs. Last time reviewing the FLs took a day or two, so I figured reviewing the entire TBR and doing the remaining passages will take at least that long as well. In addition, the schedule calls for review of *all* chapter 1's in one day. I am skeptical I could review *all* chapter 1's AND chapter 2's in one day. I also want to avoid burning out. Can't start this week, biochem and child psychopathology are taking up my time.

But I will definitely have to make a more detailed schedule and see how it all pans out.. Maybe take out a break day or two, and like you said. Condense a couple chapters to one day, maybe chapter 1 and half of 2 in one day. Then chapter 3 and half of 2 the other day. So on.

Thank you!

My summer classes begin in June, so I'm good in that department.

I've been studying on and off since last summer and took 3 FLs. Last time reviewing the FLs took a day or two, so I figured reviewing the entire TBR and doing the remaining passages will take at least that long as well. In addition, the schedule calls for review of *all* chapter 1's in one day. I am skeptical I could review *all* chapter 1's AND chapter 2's in one day. I also want to avoid burning out. Can't start this week, biochem and child psychopathology are taking up my time.

But I will definitely have to make a more detailed schedule and see how it all pans out.. Maybe take out a break day or two, and like you said. Condense a couple chapters to one day, maybe chapter 1 and half of 2 in one day. Then chapter 3 and half of 2 the other day. So on.

Thank you!

I took most FLs in one day and reviewed them that day. It's possible w/o burning out. I was taking classes (16 units-12 were hard classes-got a 3.5 that qtr) while doing EK 1001 physics, bio and gchem, TBR physics and verbal, kaplan bio and ochem, all aamc FLs and 7 kaplan FLs. I took three months. It was pretty crazy, but possible for me. If you've already done the material, I'm sure you could review all the chapter 1's and 2's in one day (you have 12 hours to do so). Just know what you can handle and push yourself (you really need to if you want to do good after studying for 1 month).

You should still have time even taking tough classes. You have to cut something... don't party for 2 months... don't waste time and you'll find plenty of time. Even if you're taking 20 units, that comes out to 76 hours of work a week, at 3 hours/unit. A week has 168 hours and if you sleep 9 hours and study for classes, you should have 30 hours left. Some of this will be spent eating etc, but you should still have time to study for the mcat.

But looking at your posts, you had a 3.4 GPA which would mean you need a relatively high mcat. So make sure you're ready to take the test and do well.

Also know the option to take an extra year. This way you would get the entire summer to study, get your gpa up and get more ecs.