I have 3 attempts, and I'm hopeful for my 4th, but I am curious how MD+DO programs feel about this many multiple attempts, please lmk your thoughts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nat620

Reaction score
I have had 3 attempts about a 500 on each attempt.
The first attempt, I had multiple personal events (related to multiple family members' health) that definitely impacted my ability to self-study the mcat content, I relied mainly on my knowledge from classes and whatever I could study.
The second attempt, I had studied at a slower pace than I thought and crammed some content review before I could adequately take practice tests.
The third attempt, I had studied properly and thoroughly reviewed content, so I did feel more prepared for the exam. I was also in a better state in regards to my personal life in general, so I felt good when I was going to take the exam, but I think I settled too easily when taking the practice tests while preparing, because I didn't score as high as I thought I did.

So for reference, my first test score was my highest, my third score was the second highest (very close), and my second score was the lowest.

Now my fourth attempt, i haven't received the score yet, but I felt more prepared in regards to time, which was my main issue I believe, so I think that this score is going to be significantly higher.

I guess I would like to know for anyone's opinion on how MD and DO programs feel about this many attempts. I know most schools like to see the upward trend, but my journey is a little unconventional, but I do genuinely believe my score is higher for this last 4th attempt. Let me know any and all thoughts on this if you have any!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a universal answer for you question. How people feel will vary. It's completely random who will be the person reading your primary app. You will get some people who will write you off for so many attempts, given that other applicants will have taken the exam fewer times and done well. A few adcom folks will appreciate your perseverance and will be inspired to look deeper at your applicant profile. How many do this is a crapshoot, but so is the application in general. Keep in mind though, no matter which person is reading your application, you cannot change the numerical facts that you have four MCAT scores. Try not to stress about it, because there's nothing you can do to change it. For the adcoms who see your determination as a plus, make sure you put forth an amazing secondary that emphasizes that.

Sorry to not offer much more than the obvious here, but it is what it is. Do your best to show your strengths in other areas of the application. Shine a bright light on your clinical experience and good GPA. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
A string of unsuccessful MCAT scores is far more damaging than one.
The MCAT is as much a test of judgement as knowledge. Persistence is not a core competency, resilience is.
I cannot recommend even one re-take until one is confident of a much better score. Hope is not enough.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
A string of unsuccessful MCAT scores is far more damaging than one.
The MCAT is as much a test of judgement as knowledge. Persistence is not a core competency, resilience is.
Do not take the test again until you are confident of a much better score. Hope is not enough.
Hope is not a strategy, either

Members don't see this ad :)
While there is a lot of variation how individual faculty view multiple MCAT scores, adcom policies will be fairly straightforward.

Some schools will average so your attempts when screening. You might not be automatically screened out for taking the test more than 3 times, but I know programs that did based on their adcom policy (you can't take USMLE more than 3 times?). Others would relegate those for review by an executive committee just to make sure.

There are people in medical school and graduated from medical school who took the MCAT as many as 6 times! I think the more times you take it, the stronger your champions and mentors need to be to help you find the schools that can give you a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't feel "hopeful." Take the test when you're scoring a few points higher than your desired score. If you're not scoring that high, don't take the test.. taking the test before then is just setting yourself up for failure.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you do well on your 4th attempt, you will still have the hurdle of continued standardised exams from here till then end of time…
Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 mixed in with some ISTE
Boards
Q 10 year recerts

Gotta ask yourself if you can run that gauntlet

Seems like a judgment/impulse control issue where you just decided to keep taking it because you wanted to "see what happens". These are not good qualities to have in a physician - you don't just blast random medications at a patient wishing for a hail mary.

Seems like a judgment/impulse control issue where you just decided to keep taking it because you wanted to "see what happens". These are not good qualities to have in a physician - you don't just blast random medications at a patient wishing for a hail mary.

Unless you’re an ED doc…. 😂😂