I can't afford a post-bacc, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to reapply next cycle and I'm trying to figure out how to improve my application. I've maxed out my undergrad loans so I'm thinking a post-bacc is out of the question. I've had a very recent BK and don't have a co-signer so I can't do private loans.

I could qualify for grad school loans (maybe for an SMP?) but a.) I don't think this would help offset my low undergrad gpa (due to illness, hence the BK) and the tuitions I've seen for these programs would just about max out my loans leaving zero money for reapplying, defeating the purpose.

I could save money for a year but that's not really a viable option at this point because I'm already in my thirties and as they say, I ain't gettin' any younger.

At this point, I'm sort of at a hopeless loss. I know I can improve my mcat score but other than that, I can't seem to find any plausible way to improve my app unless I win the lotto. Any ideas? :oops: I would be willing to sell a kidney or a lobe of my liver on the black market. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you need to stop placing mental obstacles in your path to becoming a M.D. Why don't you save money and take some classes at a public college to improve your C.V? Secondly, you can get money for second degree if you apply for it. Thirdly, you can get money for a SMP. If you really want it you will find a way. This is the United States and the oppurtunities are out there but sometimes you have to make your own path. Good luck.:luck: