I cant work in the US but can I volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dont have a green card only a student visa but will this be enough for me to volunteer at a pharmacy as a tech if i pass the ptcb exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I mentioned this in your other thread, but I got a position as a volunteer pharm tech. I was always under the impression that volunteers never got to do much in the pharmacy, but I found a position where I will be the same as the tech (except for the money thing). I don't know about how visa holders are received. I would guess since you are not getting paid that anyone can volunteer regardless of residency status, but I don't know how common it is to find an actual volunteer pharm tech position. Just start calling hospitals and find out!:luck:

P.S. Forgot to mention that I am in a state with no laws regarding techs, PTCB, etc. so this probably makes a difference.

The hospital I volunteered at just required a drug test, background check and a couple of references. Given you aren't being paid I don't see why they would care. You're here legally and providing them a service free of charge. Now, how much they allow you to actually do as a volunteer varies greatly by state law or the facility's policy. Even if they won't allow you to do a lot of hands on work, its still a great experience just being there, seeing what happens, and hearing all the terminology used.