I couldn't believe this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayloreve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to my friend yesterday who recently completed his DAT. He scored 19 AA and only studied for....wait for it....wait for it....THE DAY BEFORE THE TEST!!!! I couldn't believe it. Just had to share this with you guys and see what your thoughts were!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't seem outrageous to me. I think most well-studied science majors could score an 18-20 on the DAT with the knowledge they have now. It's the extra weeks/months of studying that gets you points beyond that.

...and I thought I was hot stuff with 3 weeks :p. Geez, kudos to him :). Is he going for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to my friend yesterday who recently completed his DAT. He scored 19 AA and only studied for....wait for it....wait for it....THE DAY BEFORE THE TEST!!!! I couldn't believe it. Just had to share this with you guys and see what your thoughts were!

I did Topscore 1 for ****s and giggles before actual studying and scored 19AA. This was my 'diagnostic' test.

Although, I did have a solid science background from undergrad, and was always good in math.

A majority of applicants receive scores from 17-19, but to go one point higher, it gets much much much harder.

19AA, you would be an average matriculant.
20AA, you will be above average.
21AA, the DAT will not be holding your application back and all doors except Columbia will be open for you.
22AA, Columbia will open their doors for you. Your GPA will scrutinized less.
23AA+, everyone waits in line to bukake you.

So if he did get 19AA with just one day of studying, he could have gotten at least 21AA if he actually put some effort into it. Adcoms don't look at how much you study, but the score you get. He pretty much wasted his talents as he didn't use it to its full potential.

I did Topscore 1 for ****s and giggles before actual studying and scored 19AA. This was my 'diagnostic' test.

Although, I did have a solid science background from undergrad, and was always good in math.

A majority of applicants receive scores from 17-19, but to go one point higher, it gets much much much harder.

21AA, the DAT will not be holding your application back and all doors except Columbia will be open for you.

So if he did get 19AA with just one day of studying, he could have gotten at least 21AA if he actually put some effort into it. Adcoms don't look at how much you study, but the score you get. He pretty much wasted his talents as he didn't use it to its full potential.

Really? :rofl:

I have a 23AA.

No bukk*ke yet (only 1 interview). :(

Never before have I ever wanted it.

But now...

I have a 23AA.

Your face is no longer dry my friend.

With those stats, and the numbers of schools you applied to, it'll be so wet later that you wouldn't be able to see or breathe.

yep people above said it right. I think ~19 AA is very doable for someone with decent science background.

Albino is right. Looks like he would have scored at least 21 had he put some efforts to it - even if that was just 3-4 weeks.

With the vast amount of material covered on the DAT it is hard to call it studying "THE DAY BEFORE THE TEST"; or is it a case photo memory or a closet gunner?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 23AA.

Never before have I ever wanted it.

But now...

hey, i'm also from Toronto. have 23 AA. one interview from the same place as you. and slightly lower GPA. hopefully we'll get more soon

I'm American. 23AA 23 PA. 0 interview today.

Yeeep.

Although I do agree with doc toothache though... technically you are supposed to have learnt all of this already except PAT of course.

Yeeep.

Although I do agree with doc toothache though... technically you are supposed to have learnt all of this already except PAT of course.

But you really shouldn't have to learn PAT either. You just have to familiarized with how to do each type of problems, then seeing things in 3 dimensions should already be a skill you possess... hopefully.

Honestly, not to say I got a 28/28/28 or anywhere near that, the DAT isn't actually a hard exam... at all.
If you keep up with your work in school, a month of study max and you should be hitting 21s IMHO

If this is true.. I'm not looking forward to interviews or acceptances :laugh:

he probably studied for a month. . . he just told you that so it made his 19 look good! tell him not to mention his "one day " of studying to adcoms.

he probably studied for a month. . . he just told you that so it made his 19 look good! tell him not to mention his "one day " of studying to adcoms.

:thumbup: "everyone lies" house md :D

what did he get on PAT though?

I'm actually not sure. He didn't tell me a number, but he did say he didn't do too hot. He never practiced folding, and IMO, that is something you def. need practice on...

I told him the same thing....he could of probably scored 20+ if he put in a few weeks of studying!!!! That is just insane..

Crazy though, the most important test you will take in your life and you look over notes the day before.....

I'm actually not sure. He didn't tell me a number, but he did say he didn't do too hot. He never practiced folding, and IMO, that is something you def. need practice on...

I told him the same thing....he could of probably scored 20+ if he put in a few weeks of studying!!!! That is just insane..

Crazy though, the most important test you will take in your life and you look over notes the day before.....

Boards

I agree

Intelligence is partially genetic just like everything else in life.

The 19 means nothing in isolation. Let's see what this person does with their career.

This thread just made me lol.

Like someone else already said, a 19 is roughly 60th percentile anyway so it shouldn't be that hard to score a ~19-20 on the sciences if you are a science major. The PAT on the other hand is pretty tricky and definitely needs practice.