I decided I want to become a dentist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProtoNYC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my very first post at SDN. I've read alot of your posts and received alot of useful information. Since I am practically fresh (haven't taken any sciences except Bio I) I want to know a good way to approach this dental school thing. (how many classes i should take per semester, etc) I have taken Bio I and got a C-. This is because I haven't thought about becoming a dentist at the time. Should I re-take that class and kick arse and get an A? Would dental schools like it if i re-took it and continue to do extremely well with my other pre-dental classes (org and inorg. chem, physics, etc)

I would def. appreciate replies from anyone. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all retake your Bio. Most schools won't accept anything below a C in a pre-req class.

Dutchboy said:
First of all retake your Bio. Most schools won't accept anything below a C in a pre-req class.

Are you sure?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dutchboy said:
Especially in an introductory bio class which should be cake for anyone considering any healthcare field.

Take as many classes as you can handle, make sure you keep your GPA up (around 3.5 or higher if possible) and dont lose that 'useless' information in general bio/chem classes because it will be important for the DAT.

Please retake the class. A C- in an intro class isn't pretty. Goodluck, you're on the right path. :)

Aero047 said:
Are you sure?
Ya, I'm pretty sure. A C is OK, a C- is not. Can anyone else back me up on this?

if your serious about doing dentistry, definitely retake the class and get an A. I doubt adcoms will look down on your application if you only retake one course throughout your college career, and that especially in your first year. For example, I had to retake a bio class (the only one I've retaken), and I wasn't even asked about it in any of my interviews. Another thing, make sure you get a solid gpa, dat score, and have an overall good app. good luck.

ProtoNYC said:
Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my very first post at SDN. I've read alot of your posts and received alot of useful information. Since I am practically fresh (haven't taken any sciences except Bio I) I want to know a good way to approach this dental school thing. (how many classes i should take per semester, etc) I have taken Bio I and got a C-. This is because I haven't thought about becoming a dentist at the time. Should I re-take that class and kick arse and get an A? Would dental schools like it if i re-took it and continue to do extremely well with my other pre-dental classes (org and inorg. chem, physics, etc)

I would def. appreciate replies from anyone. Thanks.

Retake Bio class or take 3-4 more upper level bio class and do well. Schools require two bio classes so if you take upper level or the one level above you should be fine. You should try to get as many A's as possible. You don't need A's to get into Dental school but It will give you a lots of options when choosing a school. And yes, never get anything below C in any pre-req class becasue schools don't accept it, atleast all the schools I applied to don't.

Mustt Mustt said:
Retake Bio class or take 3-4 more upper level bio class and do well. Schools require two bio classes so if you take upper level or the one level above you should be fine. You should try to get as many A's as possible. You don't need A's to get into Dental school but It will give you a lots of options when choosing a school. And yes, never get anything below C in any pre-req class becasue schools don't accept it, atleast all the schools I applied to don't.

Wow, this is all useful information, especially the last one. I plan on majoring in Bio when i declare next year.

I def. appreciate all the responses, thanks guys! (especially the one that said "C- in bio isn't pretty- lol)

Guys I got a C- in calc. my freshman year. I didnt know I wanted to be a dentsit back then. Now I am a super senior (decided to becomea dentsit my senior year so I didnt apply for grad yet until I finish my reqs) and I have As in all of my bio and general chem classes. I am now taking Orgo and it looks like I will be getting a B. What do you think? I know the calc C- will be calculated in my science GPA and willl really destroy it because it was a 4 credit class. I also took STAT. and got an A in that. Do you guys think I have a nice gpa if I get a B in orgo 1 and 2 with all As in the other science classes except C- for calc? Is that considered a pre-req? It was a pre-req for my BBA.

Also I will be taking Physics after applying to D-School so they will not see my physics grades until after making a decsion. I am not a good test taker so I am assuming I will get arround 19s or soe and porbably a 17 on the PAT. So what do you guys think?

JohnDoeDDS you are fine, but I'm pretty sure you need to have physics completed before you apply - it's a prereq. I would advise you take physics I next semester and then physics II over the summer if you plan on applying with no troubles for the 2007 cycle. Good luck.

boree said:
JohnDoeDDS you are fine, but I'm pretty sure you need to have physics completed before you apply - it's a prereq. I would advise you take physics I next semester and then physics II over the summer if you plan on applying with no troubles for the 2007 cycle. Good luck.
Calc is not a pre-req so your C- will not need to be retaken. As for Physics all though it is a pre-req you don't have to have it done by the time you apply(it doesn't hurt though) as long as you have it in your planned classes that you are going to take before you enter dental school.