I did CPR on a Rat!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is hilarious?
In physiology lab yesterday, we were studying cardiac responses to drugs and other stimuli. Well, we had to set up a rat to some equipment so we could monitor BP and administer IV drugs. This takes about 1.5 hours and a lot of practice so the Prof was going to set just one rat up before the lab started and then the class would just observe the rat as a group. Our lab is 8am, so we that meant he had to start at 6:30am. Well, I showed up to watch, I was the only one, talk about bonus points! So the two of us were setting up this rat and she started to breath erratically and the BP started plunge, then she stopped breathing. We did the most logical thing, chest compressions and mouth to mouth! We actually used a tube for mouth to mouth. For about 15 minutes we did this and got it back a few times but in the end it died.:(

Oh well, how many people can say they have done CPR on a RAT!
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: I've actually done chest compressions (very gently) on a seizuring mouse! It survived too!

Anyway, rpames, I never thanked you for the info you gave me on DMU and Des Moines, although you probably don't remember this. So, thanks!! :D

I'm here to serve.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
rpames said:
This is hilarious?
In physiology lab yesterday, we were studying cardiac responses to drugs and other stimuli. Well, we had to set up a rat to some equipment so we could monitor BP and administer IV drugs. This takes about 1.5 hours and a lot of practice so the Prof was going to set just one rat up before the lab started and then the class would just observe the rat as a group. Our lab is 8am, so we that meant he had to start at 6:30am. Well, I showed up to watch, I was the only one, talk about bonus points! So the two of us were setting up this rat and she started to breath erratically and the BP started plunge, then she stopped breathing. We did the most logical thing, chest compressions and mouth to mouth! We actually used a tube for mouth to mouth. For about 15 minutes we did this and got it back a few times but in the end it died.:(

Oh well, how many people can say they have done CPR on a RAT!
:laugh:

that's hilarious!

maiday919 said:
goodness, at first i thought ur mouth actually touched the rat's mouth. i was so ready to gag! but since u didn't, this is actually a very cool story! except for the part that requires touching a rat. call me girly, but "ew"

i just pictured that scene as i read your comment... a guy putting his lips right over a rats... :D

This is why only you showed up to get those bonus points. I guess the rest of the class wasn't too excited about ARLS. ;) ahaha! Great experience, nonetheless.

When I saw this post, I looked at it and thought, "Holy crap, someone else has done this too. Then I noticed it was my post from 2003...nice flash back.

rpames said:
When I saw this post, I looked at it and thought, "Holy crap, someone else has done this too. Then I noticed it was my post from 2003...nice flash back.

do people in your class know that you've done cpr on a rat? because then you'd be the go-to guy for physio knowledge! :D

Has anyone seen Dr. Doolittle (the newer one w/ Eddie Murphy)??? He did it too! How funny!!!

ewww rpames.. I'm having lunch with a rat-kisser ! nasty! Cockroaches with fur!