I did not get into to dental school and I dont know why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoparli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
22 academic average 25 percept ability. 3.6 gpa. over a year of research. four dentist in my family. dental school clinic experience. graduated college at the age of 20. Completely clean criminal record. White male. Alabama resident. I was rejected from university of florida, my alma mater and rejected from alabama, the school where my sister is a junior. It makes no sense. Anybody else get completely ****ed in the ass? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to reality

You have the numbers, but apparently you are lacking something else. I do not know you so I can't tell you what it is. It might be that you thought you were a shoe-in for d-school and had a cocky attitude during the interviews without even realizing it

Do not worry man, with a record like that, you will get in next year. Apply to 8-12 schools and you will be fine.

Sorry about the year loss, but admissions is one of those things no one could really figure out. For instance, why did that guy with a 3.1 and 18AA get in and you didn't?

Don't feel too bad. Try hard to think about your interviews and personal statement. Maybe all you did was talk about how hard you studied and how great research was. Maybe you didn't talk enough about yourself and what you enjoy to do in life like hobbies, fishing, biking, etc

That doesn't make any sense! I was thinking maybe you were too cocky at the interview. I've said before even the front desk secretary can throw out our application completely; were you cocky with her?

Perhaps you can change your last name to a minority and dye your hair so you can ensure your chance for a spot plus a full scholarship to Harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
22 academic average 25 percept ability. 3.6 gpa. over a year of research. four dentist in my family. dental school clinic experience. graduated college at the age of 20. Completely clean criminal record. White male. Alabama resident. I was rejected from university of florida, my alma mater and rejected from alabama, the school where my sister is a junior. It makes no sense. Anybody else get completely ****ed in the ass? :confused:
when was your application complete?

when did you submit you aadsas? apply early and apply to many...and maybe you could humble yourself. only you can know if thats necessary. well, you, your family and everyone around you...

you only applied to one school? Dental school is dental school, don't be so selective next time if that was the case.

There was no way in earth i was cocky. I am an extremely modest person and i wanted to portray that. I smiled the whole time and talked to them as if they were friends of mine. Im known to be a very social person and i felt extremely comfortable talking to the admissions committees. And as far as talking about how much i studied or how great research was, i didnt talk about either of those at all. UF interviewed i talked mostly about my residency and she asks how i would give back to the community and i said i would love to go on mission trips. I am also in a band that was on a record label. I did that all through college. I toured to new york city and a bunch of other cities up the coast. We did our own management and i talked about that in both the ala and flor interviews. i thought that would portray my good business and personal skills that are extremely important in the field of dentistry. Ive played sports my whole life and made sure that was known to reflect my healthy lifestyles.
When i applied i was told that schools like students that are different and will contribute unique qualities to the class. I embraced that. I am a ceramicist and musician and thought that these qualities would set me apart from the stereotypical predent premed student. honestly all my friends in college were artists and engineers. i never hung out with predents or premed students.

I turned my application in in august. got and interview at flori in september and and interview at alabama in october.

Ive applied late to a bunch of other schools like tufts boston detroit mercy lousiville and nyu. im waiting on them. im not completely done. i also applied to harvard and maryland but didnt follow through. doesn matter. Im currently doing dental stem cell research and if i get interviewed in the next month for these schools im going to talk about this which i think is a bonus. schools supposedly like students who are very interested in research so they can teach. nobody wants to teach. im ranting cause im in a hurry. i thank you guys for taking the time to absorb my tears and troubles.

There was no way in earth i was cocky. I am an extremely modest person and i wanted to portray that. I smiled the whole time and talked to them as if they were friends of mine. Im known to be a very social person and i felt extremely comfortable talking to the admissions committees. And as far as talking about how much i studied or how great research was, i didnt talk about either of those at all. UF interviewed i talked mostly about my residency and she asks how i would give back to the community and i said i would love to go on mission trips. I am also in a band that was on a record label. I did that all through college. I toured to new york city and a bunch of other cities up the coast. We did our own management and i talked about that in both the ala and flor interviews. i thought that would portray my good business and personal skills that are extremely important in the field of dentistry. Ive played sports my whole life and made sure that was known to reflect my healthy lifestyles.
When i applied i was told that schools like students that are different and will contribute unique qualities to the class. I embraced that. I am a ceramicist and musician and thought that these qualities would set me apart from the stereotypical predent premed student. honestly all my friends in college were artists and engineers. i never hung out with predents or premed students.

I turned my application in in august. got and interview at flori in september and and interview at alabama in october.

Ive applied late to a bunch of other schools like tufts boston detroit mercy lousiville and nyu. im waiting on them. im not completely done. i also applied to harvard and maryland but didnt follow through. doesn matter. Im currently doing dental stem cell research and if i get interviewed in the next month for these schools im going to talk about this which i think is a bonus. schools supposedly like students who are very interested in research so they can teach. nobody wants to teach. im ranting cause im in a hurry. i thank you guys for taking the time to absorb my tears and troubles.

okay. you sound like a great applicant. your problem is that you applied in august during an extremely competitive application cycle. I had almost the exact same stats a few years ago. First time I applied was november 2005. I scored at least 8 interviews, of which 7 fruited into "waitlist" status. I applied the following year in May with much better luck, and a lot more know how. Best of luck and enjoy your year off perfecting your arts. It is much harder to find the time in school.:luck:

Wow! That is a shocker that you got those two rejections. It's weird....sometimes a rejection can't be explained. I'm glad that you have other schools you are waiting on. I'm sure you'll get into one of those. THey should be happy to have you!

m

you should call the schools, meet with the admissions people, and find out why.

you should call the schools, meet with the admissions people, and find out why.

i second that...

maybe the way u thought u portrayed urself was different than what they thought of u....

It's called the white male syndrome (non-mormon subtype)

Members don't see this ad :)

the admission cycle is still going and schools are still interviewing. you are going to get in without a doubt. if you are considering NYU seriously, pm me and i will tell you a couple of things that might very well get you in there. keep in mind that it is NOT a lie when i tell you that a countless number of applicants get accepted by late march and early april.

dude, don't sweat UF......they are notorious for turning away great applicants. my buddy is a D1 there and his impression of his classmates are that they are "nothing special." i applied to UF early as hell and i'm stuck on the waitlist.

as far as getting into d-school....i'm still in limbo.. waiting to hear back from NYU and Maryland....i have a 3.6+ GPA and 22/22/18 DAT scores. WTF.

you sound like an awesome applicant. if for some reason you don't make the cut this year, apply early to lots of schools. remember this is an investment and the process is a freaking crapshoot. spread your risk!

jb!:)

I would start calling and emailing schools. Don't give up yet, the year I applied I didn't get my apps completed until Jan. I did get in, but it wasn't until the first day of classes started. I only got in because I kept in touch with the schools.

my stats are pretty close to yours. 21/21/21, 3.67/3.50, 50 hrs. shadowing, 2 years research, applied in late august. i got one interview at buffalo (rejected), and i still have yet to hear from Temple, Columbia, Stony Brook, and Boston. i've been rejected from 3 others.

when i called the admissions offices of the schools that rejected me, all they really could say was "you look like a good applicant, but this was our most competitive year" or some patronizing comment like that.

what am i supposed to do? i guess we don't really have a choice, but to suck it up and reapply next cycle. good luck.

my stats are pretty close to yours. 21/21/21, 3.67/3.50, 50 hrs. shadowing, 2 years research, applied in late august. i got one interview at buffalo (rejected), and i still have yet to hear from Temple, Columbia, Stony Brook, and Boston. i've been rejected from 3 others.

when i called the admissions offices of the schools that rejected me, all they really could say was "you look like a good applicant, but this was our most competitive year" or some patronizing comment like that.

what am i supposed to do? i guess we don't really have a choice, but to suck it up and reapply next cycle. good luck.

tman, you and i are in the same situation. app complete late august, similar stats,same amt of shadowing, lots of research.... with no acceptances. tufts won't even return my e-mail/phone calls...and IF they do i'm expecting a patronizing comment like the one you posted.

hopefully maryland or NYU pulls thru Quick! if i'm really lucky UF will bump me off their wait list.

THE AGONY! :eek:

jB!!:)

You have awesome stats and ull def. get in this cycle. There is always a risk when ur applying to only 2 schools even with very high stats. I know that this year UF is crazy. I have so many friends with awesome stats (similar to urs) who got rejected so dont blame urself....As far as the other schools- Call, call, call- call untill they will know ur name....I got most of my
interviews after I called a few times...I even applied to one school at the end of October and still got an interview after I emailed and called a few times...
Anyways best of luck to you. You should be very proud of urself with those stats- u did a great job and it will pay off- ull see.

shuna

app complete late august

i guess that's the reason for our troubles?????? don't know! i didn't think august was all that late.

that's it... i'm calling my schools tomorrow. nothing to lose at this point. i'll think about what i should say as i fall asleep. (goes to bed with new resolve.) :sleep:

i guess that's the reason for our troubles?????? don't know! i didn't think august was all that late.

that's it... i'm calling my schools tomorrow. nothing to lose at this point. i'll think about what i should say as i fall asleep. (goes to bed with new resolve.) :sleep:

i think you me and jb should start the "why in gods name didnt we get accepted to school X" club:mad:

That doesn't make any sense! I was thinking maybe you were too cocky at the interview. I've said before even the front desk secretary can throw out our application completely; were you cocky with her?

Perhaps you can change your last name to a minority and dye your hair so you can ensure your chance for a spot plus a full scholarship to Harvard.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, this make perfect sense. What a cruel world we live in. When you get in, at least you will know you got in on merit and not skin color.

Anybody else get completely ****ed in the ass?

At the risk of being labeled "hypersensitive," I do wonder why people find it acceptable to write this type of foul language in a professional student forum.

In any case, sorry you didn't get in.

At the risk of being labeled "hypersensitive," I do wonder why people find it acceptable to write this type of foul language in a professional student forum.

In any case, sorry you didn't get in.

Wow, you are hypersensitive.

Wow, you are hypersensitive.

This coming from someone who responded "For some reason, this make perfect sense. What a cruel world we live in. When you get in, at least you will know you got in on merit and not skin color." ?? :)

because sometimes ppl get incredibly frustrated. I think cussing is better than getting drunk to drown your sorrows...

This coming from someone who responded "For some reason, this make perfect sense. What a cruel world we live in. When you get in, at least you will know you got in on merit and not skin color." ?? :)

Obviously i am INsensitive. you can tell by my posts.

refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh

i think a possible explanation for ppl in this situation is something in your recommendation letters that may have turned off the schools when it came to deciding between you and another candidate, stats and an interview can only give so much of a perspective...thats my 2 cents on it...

i think a possible explanation for ppl in this situation is something in your recommendation letters that may have turned off the schools when it came to deciding between you and another candidate, stats and an interview can only give so much of a perspective...thats my 2 cents on it...

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It seems like a specifically negative aspect of his file like a bad rec letter would have come up during an interview, though. Weird. I second the idea of calling schools and asking what they didn't like about you.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It seems like a specifically negative aspect of his file like a bad rec letter would have come up during an interview, though. Weird. I second the idea of calling schools and asking what they didn't like about you.

Based on what I heard/know often times the letters dont get read until after interviews when they are deciding between who to accept. Unfortunately its not the interviewers priority to read through our entire application ahead of time.

The problem isn't that he applied to two schools, it's that he applied to the wrong two :laugh:

Anyway OP, I'm pulling for you, hope you hear back soon enough

You got rejected cuz you dared to badmouth my Harvard!!! :smuggrin:
"who knows who cares. who goes to harvard to become a dentist"

Perhaps you can change your last name to a minority and dye your hair so you can ensure your chance for a spot plus a full scholarship to Harvard.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, this make perfect sense. What a cruel world we live in. When you get in, at least you will know you got in on merit and not skin color.

I hate statements like this.

Doesnt florida only accept in state?

Doesnt florida only accept in state?

To most part - yes however, about 10 students every year (out of 80) are out of state students.

You have awesome stats and ull def. get in this cycle. There is always a risk when ur applying to only 2 schools even with very high stats. I know that this year UF is crazy. I have so many friends with awesome stats (similar to urs) who got rejected so dont blame urself....As far as the other schools- Call, call, call- call untill they will know ur name....I got most of my
interviews after I called a few times...I even applied to one school at the end of October and still got an interview after I emailed and called a few times...
Anyways best of luck to you. You should be very proud of urself with those stats- u did a great job and it will pay off- ull see.

shuna

So when you contact the schools, who are you calling? The secretary?

That ain't right. Hopefully you get a spot in a school you applied late to. With those stats, I'd be optomistic.

It's called the white male syndrome (non-mormon subtype)

Yeah, because clearly the dental profession is lacking in white males.

Playing the race card is a cop-out.

To Whom it may Concern:

I am going through the same thing and everyday this quotation seems to provide some sort of comfort. Hope this helps on some level as we journey through this "beautiful struggle."

"peace.
it does not mean to be in a place
where there is no noise, trouble or hard work.
it means to be in the midst of those things
and still be calm in your heart."

- unknown

as far as getting into d-school....i'm still in limbo.. waiting to hear back from NYU and Maryland....i have a 3.6+ GPA and 22/22/18 DAT scores. WTF.

Didn't you just retake your DAT? You realize it takes like 4 weeks just to get your scores sent out from the ADA don't you? Don't act so suprised just yet.

Although I suppose it's difficult to realize from the top of the statistics mountain, the application process is not just about numbers. Obviously schools want you to be well rounded and not just a so-called book worm. Given, I am by no means labeling anyone; for more or less I'm just stating the obvious.

As for the original poster it looks like you might've had a bad rec letter that's holding you out. I'm sure you have a clean record, and the fact that you have a relative at the school you interviewed is nothing short of baffling. Regardless, you are on the right track with your numbers and your research (also assuming your community service and extra curriculars are respectable). I don't doubt you getting in next cycle, and you still have a shot this cycle at the east coast schools you applied to. I was told they interview into April. Best of luck in the future.

i would never be part of any club that would have me as one of its members.

nah... i'm kidding. so TGIF, huh? do you mean the one in Garden City? that's pretty much the only one i can travel to :rolleyes:

i would never be part of any club that would have me as one of its members.

nah... i'm kidding. so TGIF, huh? do you mean the one in Garden City? that's pretty much the only one i can travel to :rolleyes:

haha...it was an inside joke w/ FML.....

what an ignorant comment!