I didn't do so well on GRE and need advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took GRE today and the verbal section didn't go so well as I wished..
I got a 148 on verbal and 165 on math and I am still waiting for my writing score.
My first choice is Wisconsin-Madison and I am also considering to apply UW-La Cross, Minnesota, and UW-Milwaukee.

Do I have a good chance for these schools? Should I retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

Is English your second language? I have heard that schools are more forgiving with the verbal scores if English is not your native language.

Another factor would be what concentration you are applying for, e.g., biostatistics vs. health policy.

Your math score is very high- great work!

If I were you, I would look at the baseline scores the schools you are applying to want to see. Also, if you have a well written SOP and other ways to prove you have a good command of the English language (i.e., writing samples, good grades in related courses, etc.), then I wouldn't worry too much.

congrats on being done with it :) i plan on taking it next week and would be quite content getting the same scores that you did. I know you wanted higher ones, but they're really not too shabby at all! also, it's better to have a higher quant than it is verbal. your verbal isn't the best, but your quant is wonderful, and your total score is 313 which is above "average."
I'm applying to MHA programs, and when I have asked about which score is more important i have consistently heard that the quant is more important (just my experience)...but keep in mind MHA is not even as quant intensive as something like biostats. If i were you I would feel pretty content with my scores (actually i would be ecstatic..lol). If you really don't feel good about it, call the schools up and ask them how much they care about GREs, is it a checkoff item or do they put a lot of weight, and which score do they care about more. My suspicion is you are just fine. Any tips for a fellow colleague testing next week? I can use all the pointers I can get!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is English your second language? I have heard that schools are more forgiving with the verbal scores if English is not your native language.

Another factor would be what concentration you are applying for, e.g., biostatistics vs. health policy.

Your math score is very high- great work!

If I were you, I would look at the baseline scores the schools you are applying to want to see. Also, if you have a well written SOP and other ways to prove you have a good command of the English language (i.e., writing samples, good grades in related courses, etc.), then I wouldn't worry too much.

Yeah English is not my native language.
You suggest that i should apply for biostats rather than health policy??
Yeah i am happy with my math score, but i am just afraid of my verbal.... thanks for the advice!

congrats on being done with it :) i plan on taking it next week and would be quite content getting the same scores that you did. I know you wanted higher ones, but they're really not too shabby at all! also, it's better to have a higher quant than it is verbal. your verbal isn't the best, but your quant is wonderful, and your total score is 313 which is above "average."
I'm applying to MHA programs, and when I have asked about which score is more important i have consistently heard that the quant is more important (just my experience)...but keep in mind MHA is not even as quant intensive as something like biostats. If i were you I would feel pretty content with my scores (actually i would be ecstatic..lol). If you really don't feel good about it, call the schools up and ask them how much they care about GREs, is it a checkoff item or do they put a lot of weight, and which score do they care about more. My suspicion is you are just fine. Any tips for a fellow colleague testing next week? I can use all the pointers I can get!

Oh you will do much better than me :)
I am just afraid that my verbal isn't good enough. I just did terrible on the first verbal section because after writing 2 essays for an hour, my brain was dead and I couldn't really concentrate.
My tips would be use the break time efficiently! I wish that I was more relaxed.
And for the verbal, i wish that i studied vocabs more.
And have a good night sleep. i had some good sleep, but i wish that my brain functioned better

Hello, all! Congratulations to those who have been accepted into MPH programs. I am proud. I am new to this website, but decided to join because it has been a great relief. Anyways, below are my stats; PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION ON MY CHANCES OF BEING ADMITTED TO THIS SCHOOL!

UGGPA: 3.5 (UMich)
Major: Public Health and African Studies
GradInfo: N/A
GRE: 143 Q, 145 V, 4.5 AW (HORRIFIC scores, I know; just being honest) (Date: January 2013)
Experience: 1) public health publication,
2)qualitative research experience in Ghana,
3)HIV-education in South Africa and Jamaica,
4) research assistant Toxicology Lab (presentation of findings at U-M and in Canada)
5) research assistant Men's Health Disparities
6) Advocates for Youth Campus Organizer
7) RA for a year
8) Student Leader college prep program
9) Honors Thesis on HIV-Focused Community Based Programs in Africa

School(s) Applied to: UMich HBHE MPH and (SOPHAS Submit: 11/30; Received by UMich 1/16; verified by UMich 1/21) and UMich MSW -- I want to do a combined MPH/MSW
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hello, all! Congratulations to those who have been accepted into MPH programs. I am proud. I am new to this website, but decided to join because it has been a great relief. Anyways, below are my stats; PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION ON MY CHANCES OF BEING ADMITTED TO THIS SCHOOL!

UGGPA: 3.5 (UMich)
Major: Public Health and African Studies
GradInfo: N/A
GRE: 143 Q, 145 V, 4.5 AW (HORRIFIC scores, I know; just being honest) (Date: January 2013)
Experience: 1) public health publication,
2)qualitative research experience in Ghana,
3)HIV-education in South Africa and Jamaica,
4) research assistant Toxicology Lab (presentation of findings at U-M and in Canada)
5) research assistant Men's Health Disparities
6) Advocates for Youth Campus Organizer
7) RA for a year
8) Student Leader college prep program
9) Honors Thesis on HIV-Focused Community Based Programs in Africa

School(s) Applied to: UMich HBHE MPH and (SOPHAS Submit: 11/30; Received by UMich 1/16; verified by UMich 1/21) and UMich MSW -- I want to do a combined MPH/MSW
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'd say pretty much no chance with GRE quant percentile of 18%, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the response. I also applied to Tulane. Do you think that's a no go as well?

Thanks for the response. I also applied to Tulane. Do you think that's a no go as well?

I've heard that Tulane has higher acceptance rates than usual, so you might have a good chance there!