I didn't know doctors could be sued for this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't know people could be sued for that. But then again, what can't you be sued for?

Perhaps the MD/JD will become common in the future...

Edit- Yeah, that line is worth recycling just for the expressions you could get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unbelievable and Entertaining FUN

Why would she sue for this? She was dumb enough to fall for it, got played, and now she wants money for it.

Bringing a lawsuit over this is like admitting to the world that she's ******ed.

Pose said:
I didn't know people could be sued for that. But then again, what can't you be sued for?

Perhaps the MD/JD will become common in the future...

Edit- Yeah, that line is worth recycling just for the expressions you could get.

I'm aware "people" would be most accurate. I chose to use "doctors" because this is a premed forum :) .

-

Last edited:
I say we get rid of the justice system....it doesn't work, so why do we need it?

He should have left out that he was a doctor - then they probably would not have sued.
He also would have probably not have gotten them in bed. So, this begs the question that every1blowz already answered, why can't the judge see this?

They wanted him for his economic potential, not his romantic personage.

That case will go no where, they will not get jack

watch...

This is almost as good as the wheelchair ppl sueing buisness establishments for failing to provide ramps. Anyhow, its a lost case. "Severe emotional distress" does not equate to anything concrete... plus an extramarital affair was not a violation of his professional ethics. These women are obviously in it for the money. IMO: they should sue over something else, like a car dealership practicising sexism.

I'm dying to know what their standing is?

fiddler

Members don't see this ad :)
Sicilian said:
This is almost as good as the wheelchair ppl sueing buisness establishments for failing to provide ramps.

Don't even go there!

That is a whole different case.

holy cow, guys.

i just talked to my brother. he went to law school and he says that they actually have a case. They can get emotional damage. it will be up to the judge and jury what the amount is.

yikes!

fiddler

What I think is worse that this guy was unfaithful!

I am really beginning to lose faith in males in general every day..

Aero047 said:

If Monica Lewinsky is any guide, some women will believe anything the guy says just to keep the relationship going. When, in fact, there never was any relationship to begin with. The guy just pays the woman off with expensive gifts & money (in return for ...) or else exploits some personal weakness (Lewinsky was an emotional wreck).

Sicilian said:

Yes, in that isolated case they were the same, but broadly they are not. People with disabilities had to fight to get the Americans with Disabilities Act passed, and though this case may be frivolously motivated, business owners have that responsibility, like it or not. And anyone can be sued for anything, that is what the justice system is about. All you need to sue someone is to file some papers and get a lawyer. I doubt this case is going anywhere, even if it gets to trial, the women have a hard time proving emotional distress, and even then monetary damages are unlikely to be significant. Adults should act like adults, not children.

It's probably been stated before, but this is America....you can be sued for just about anything. :thumbdown:

Alexander Pink said:
Yes, in that isolated case they were the same, but broadly they are not. .

It wasn't an isolated case. Abuse was so rampant that Foley had to press for legislation allowing buisness owners 90 days to comply.

People with disabilities had to fight to get the Americans with Disabilities Act passed, and though this case may be frivolously motivated, business owners have that responsibility, like it or not.

Do you realize what the cost of running a small buisness is? Around where I grew up, I've seen countless places sprout up for a year and disappear just like that. Partly because property taxes are so high, and revenue is just enough or not enough to scrape by, when other costs are also factored in. And this was during the 90's (economic boom). I can't imagine how small buisnesses cope these days. The last thing some buisness owner needs is a person exploiting the ADA... it doesn't end with wheelchair-friendly entrance ramps, but extends to the interior and bathrooms. And then theres maintenance; if the ramp defaults, the owner gets sued over that! Its fine for corporations, which can afford luxuries like extra-wide sliding doors, but not your average buisness.

And anyone can be sued for anything, that is what the justice system is about. All you need to sue someone is to file some papers and get a lawyer.

There need to be legal safeguards in place to prevent frivolous lawsuits. Otherwise what you get is a Pandora's box of nonsense.

fiddler said:
holy cow, guys.

i just talked to my brother. he went to law school and he says that they actually have a case. They can get emotional damage. it will be up to the judge and jury what the amount is.

yikes!

fiddler

Your brother better stay in law school a bit longer -- this case will be dismissed long before trial.

Sicilian said:
There need to be legal safeguards in place to prevent frivolous lawsuits. Otherwise what you get is a Pandora's box of nonsense.

There are very significant legal safeguards against frivolous lawsuits. Any lawyer involved in the filing of such a suit can be sanctioned (big $, and potential discipline - but the latter is rare). And anyone who brings an unwarranted suit in their own right (pro se) also can be sued by the defendant for damages (or if criminal laws are involved, is subject to charges for malicious prosecution). There are also those people who repeatedly bring unwarranted lawsuits who ultimately end up in jail for contempt.
This particular case will not likely get past the summary judgement stage, and will never see a jury. It is a fun public interest story, but hardly an indictment of the US legal system.

Law2Doc said:
This particular case will not likely get past the summary judgement stage, and will never see a jury. It is a fun public interest story, but hardly an indictment of the US legal system.

Thank you.

shivalrous said:
It's probably been stated before, but this is America....you can be sued for just about anything. :thumbdown:

I'm gonna have to agree...its sad that our judicial system is just as ineffiecient as the rest of our federal government. People who shoot and kill other people get 15 years in prison (or if you are a cop, you get probation), but you get the can for smoking a J. I've really lost faith in government.

BaylorGuy said:
I'm gonna have to agree...its sad that our judicial system is just as ineffiecient as the rest of our federal government. People who shoot and kill other people get 15 years in prison (or if you are a cop, you get probation), but you get the can for smoking a J. I've really lost faith in government.

You are mixing some unrelated things, and thus totally changing the topic. Although people may go to law school to practice in either forum, there really isn't otherwise a lot of overlap between criminal and civil law. i.e. Enforcement of criminal laws is pretty unrelated to things you can bring lawsuits about civilly. Both stem from (different) constitutional rights, but the similarities really end there. As a doctor you will almost definitely be sued civilly at some point (although hopefully not for the reason in the OP's article), but with any luck will never see the inside of a criminal court in the course of your career. I think it's a misnomer to just lump two very distinct systems into the term "judicial system" and lump the (very different) problems together.

Law2Doc said:
There are very significant legal safeguards against frivolous lawsuits. Any lawyer involved in the filing of such a suit can be sanctioned (big $, and potential discipline - but the latter is rare). And anyone who brings an unwarranted suit in their own right (pro se) also can be sued by the defendant for damages (or if criminal laws are involved, is subject to charges for malicious prosecution). There are also those people who repeatedly bring unwarranted lawsuits who ultimately end up in jail for contempt.
Thank you for summarizing the safeguards. That was my main point, that while you can sue for anything conceptually, there are safeguards in place, the most common of which is the summary judgement where the judge determines whether there is anough evidence to have a trial, or whether the case is to be dismissed. I doubt this case will make it to trial, though again with all the idiocy rampant in our country, not to mention risking much more public exposure if it goes to trial, maybe he should consider settling out of court (though we don't know all the facts to make this determination, only his lawyer can know if there is enough evidence to make settling in his best interest).

Aero047 said:

Please. Guys are on the other end of the peanut gallery losing faith in women because of those gullible examples. Stereotypes go both ways, but they don't benefit either side.

If these two can sue for emotional damage..... wont this set precedent for the rest of men and women in the nation that has ever been cheated on to sue in similar ways? I've never heard a case like this before.

This case has no merit and will be dismissed promptly. There was no breach of duty. In order for it to be a tort, a duty has to have been breached and there has to be harm caused.

Who knows, maybe the girls were hoping for a quick settlement knowing the doctor wouldn't want his name tarnished in the press.

I think this page has a picture of the guy:

http://www3.utsouthwestern.edu/rwelab/pic99/99carr.htm

He doesn't look nearly as shady in the picture as I imagined him to look.