Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I Don't Care

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medlover247, Apr 30, 2007.

1. medlover247

Pre-Medical
    I'm having serious motivational problems. I just don't feel like studying. I know I'm capable of getting good grades and all that. But what do people do to keep their spirits up, and stay concentrated?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jojocola

jojocola Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    I go to those medical school conferences. It gets repetitive, but it helps me stay focused.

4. Doc Henry

Doc Henry blowin' in the wind

Pre-Medical
    I'm actually having similar problems right now. Watch out though; tons of people in this forum are going to jump all over us saying that if we can't handle school now how will we handle it for four years in med school. Well, screw them!

I only have two terms left until I graduate so I try to use that to motivate me. In particular I try to focus on graduating with honors as high as possible.

I also try to get into some sort of competition with a friend in a class to give me an extra push.

This may sound cheesy but one of the best motivational things for me is working in medicine and planning my future as a doctor...

Hope some of that helps...just remember it happens to all of us!

5. sexyman

Medical Student
    Motivation comes in cycles sometimes.

6. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

i go to the dentist.

(shudders)

7. PunjabiCurry

PunjabiCurry Banned
    Banned

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :laugh: shooting yourself on foot there

8. SB100

Resident [Any Field]
    I look at my roommates, bunch of slackers I tell ya:D

9. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Have you ever worked a hard job in your life?

That's plenty of motivation to do well in school.

10. lynn623la

lynn623la Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Coffee might help.

I high recommend Tab energy (yeah the can may be pink), because it has a nice blend of B12 and Niacin that gets you energized, without being jittery.

Choline coctail II is pretty good. It has some calories in it, though---> about 80-100 per serving.

This may be cheesy, but I put pictures of family around me--- i.e. desk. I know I don't want to let them down. :rolleyes:

You honestly have to have a passion for it. Without that you are a drone going through the prereqs or courses.

11. crimsonkid85

MD/PhD Student
    seriously. try paying the bills on a blue-collar paycheck. i'm sure that'll motivate you like no other.

12. Tired Pigeon

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't worry about motivation - it comes and goes depending on a lot of variables. The key is just to make a decision that you're going to do X amount of work each day, whether you feel like it or not. Treat it like a job if you have to until your motivation returns.

13. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central

Pre-Medical
    I third that. I currently work in retail/admin and I'm surrounded by miserable failures who hate everything about their lives and their jobs. The simple fear of turning into one of them is motivating enough.:thumbdown:

14. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance

Pre-Medical
    Imagine yourself working at Burger King.

OR

Imagine yourself working in retail for the rest of your life.

No thanks.

15. Tristy

Tristy BairesYarnCreation @ etsy

Medical Student
    Are you burned out? If that's the case (and I'm assuming you're in undergrad so you prolly have more time to spare) take it easy on yourself. I got pretty bad in terms of motivation a few weeks ago but luckily we had spring break. That wasn't enough though so I took another week off (of course I got a bit behind in my courses). I came back strong and aced my finals.

If you are not motivated you won't learn, and you'll still be miserable while staring at the book. I think it's ok to be a bit lazy when times like this come, it refreshens you. GL! :luck:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. patrickd223

Other Health Professions Student
    ALL the motivation I need comes from being neurotic about getting into medical school. Do i need to slap you silly and remind you how hard it is to get in?

18. Soccer885

Soccer885 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I had plenty of motivational problems. Sometimes I just needed a little break because I was getting burned out. I would take a weekend and just do things I liked to do and not worry about school. The break usually helped me get back on tract with school. Try it and see if it helps!

19. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Are all of your friends also demotivated?

I find that talking or working with people who are driven actually motivates me to study more!

20. medlover247

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

and no thanks! :laugh:

21. emaj1n

emaj1n M1

Medical Student
    Get some exercise. It's a natural de-stresser and helps you concentrate. I swear, playing basketball three or four times a week got me through undergrad.

Also, someone mentioned energy drinks and coffee? I actually think that's a horrible idea, based on my experience. The more soda and coffee I drank, the more tired I felt. In all honesty, drink more water. Buy one Avian or Deer Park bottle a day and refill it three, four, five times. I kept a big two-and-a-half gallon jug in my mini fridge and would sip while I studied. Increasing my water intake always made me feel more alert.

The biggest thing: do something fun once in a while!

22. Guile

Guile 1K Member

+1 for this suggestion.

Except work construction (or frame houses). You'll never be so motivated in your life to study (or have as good of a tan :D).

23. Guile

Guile 1K Member

You are in a very small minority of people who experience the opposite effect most people do--stimulation. I agree with the above posters. Caffeine can do wonders for motivation and focus. Just use it wisely and try not to develop a tolerance (only drink when you have to). Coffee is good because there are no calories, and it is also the most antioxidant-rich food/beverage in the American diet. It's actually not bad for you, in moderation.

24. Raihan Mirza

Raihan Mirza The Lone Rider

Pre-Medical
    To keep myself motivated I watch the Rocky Anthology. I don't know why but watching Rocky Balboa work his ass off to be the heavy weight Champion motivates me to study really hard.

25. maeryn

Pre-Medical
    I don't do drugs, but if I ever injected anything into my body, it'd be Tab Energy. I live off of it. :love:

Back on topic, to keep me motivated, I read a lot of autobiographies and books written by doctors about their time spent throughout residency and on. It gives me a somewhat clear image to hold on to.

26. NervousNed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    just to go along with all the comments about working fastfood/retail, you dont want to be saying "do you want fries with that"

27. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    +2

Nothing like the fear of becoming the next manager at Buenos Tacos to motivate you to study really, really hard.

28. Agent47

Medical Student
    :D ...............................:laugh: MEE TOO!! BUT...

I also watch "LoST" ...It's amazing series....that Dr. Jack give me motivation.:D

29. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    LOST IS THE BOMB

yay for new ep tonite

DIE JULIETTE DIE

DIE SUN DIE

30. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard

Medical Student
    most definitely agree w/this:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ...

31. UnderdogMD

UnderdogMD Blow the Whistle!!!

Non-Student
    Its not your fault. Society has distorted our image. "just don't feel like studying", then don't. If you know you are capable of getting good grades then that should be enough. You don't have to prove yourself to anybody. Working hard is way overrated. My honest advice is have lower expectations for yourself. People come to college aiming for a 4.0 and they end up overworked, frustrated, and depressed (not unlike yourself). Do like me, aim for a 3.0. My GPA is 3.08 and I feel like a winner. I achieve my goal every semester. Hows that for a sense of accomplishment? Follow my advice and things will start to look a little bit brighter.

32. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I do agree, though, with the "If you don't feel like studying, then don't." Give yourself a break, forcing yourself to study is, in my experience, not very productive because you just get more and more frustrated but aren't learning the material. So let yourself be lazy and procrastinate, and then go back to the books once you feel more like it.

The "aim for a 3.0" while trying to get into medical school, well, it's just insane.