I don't get it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with holding multiple acceptances and such? I have an offer from a school that was letting me mull it over for a while, and today I verbally accepted even though what I really want to do is to wait until I'm done with all of my interviews and then decide once I know the schools' decisions. I like this school, but it's not my first choice. I went ahead and accepted because I wasn't sure how much longer they would wait for me and because I wanted to make sure I had something to show for this application cycle if everything else fell apart because I have no other acceptances to date - one waitlist, a handful of completed interviews with no decision yet.

As I understand it, I can back out of anything until May 15. Is that true, even for putting something in writing, which they asked me to do? If so, how sleazy is it to back out? I really hate myself right now because I know I will go to any of several other schools that haven't given me a final decision yet over this school - not to mention the three interviews I have left that I have no intention of cancelling. Most of the people I have talked to thought it was dumb of me to think twice about accepting and then backing out later, but it really bothers me. Do you get blacklisted for covering your back and then bolting for greener pastures?

Members don't see this ad.

You have until May 15th to pick a school. You're allowed to hold multiple acceptances until then. I was told the proper etiquette is that you should only hang on to two at any given time. As far as your situation - there's nothing wrong with backing out later. If they want something in writing, just say something to the effect that you’d like to hold a place in the incoming class – just leave it at that. Don’t sweat it, it's all part of the process. Oh, and congratulations, and good luck with the rest of your schools.

agree with the above...you should hold onto about 1-2 acceptances at a given time. if you've gotten accepted at your 3rd favorite program, just hold that one until you hear from your top 2, for example.

gawd, i wish residency applications were like this. *sigh*