I don't know how to classify an "program" i started.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
At my undergrad, there exists a student-run org called "Group X" that helps underserved kids with Intellectual Development Disabilities. I am a HUGE art girl, and absolutely love oil painting; it is my first passion an i've always done it since i can remember picking up a crayon. During my freshman year, I had come across some difficulties in adjusting to college life, and decided I want to help kids that struggle with different aspects of learning. Art being my passion, i researched about different types of IDD and common disabilities in kids, as well as interviewing therapy centers and pediatric doctors to understand more about how kids with IDD learn.

Soph year, i decided to join Group X, and start my own "program" of therapy. The original goal of Group X was focused on physical activity and teamwork exercises, like things you would do at camp. The "program" within Group X i started was Art Therapy, and we would meet with these students 1x a week or 1x every other week to do art projects that tied into their homeworks from school. I truly believe that art can make education more fun, and actually simplify a lot of concepts that might be intimidating to students with disabilities. For example, 2 weeks we focused on "handwriting therapy" where we used paintbrushes and water color to help learn how to write and draw in a way that reduces pressure on your hands, and makes writing more enjoyable.

The reason I joined Group X was to gain access to the kids that the group was already involved it, as it seemed more reliable than a random college girl asking schools to let me teach art to their young kids.

My issue is how do I classify this? I don't want to come across like im the founder of Group X because im not, but i DID start the art therapy "program" or branch of that. When I did fundraisers on campus, i would have the sign say "My art program fundraiser" instead of "Group X and my art program fundraiser". Am I allowed to say I started an org?

Members don't see this ad.

At my undergrad, there exists a student-run org called "Group X" that helps underserved kids with Intellectual Development Disabilities. I am a HUGE art girl, and absolutely love oil painting; it is my first passion an i've always done it since i can remember picking up a crayon. During my freshman year, I had come across some difficulties in adjusting to college life, and decided I want to help kids that struggle with different aspects of learning. Art being my passion, i researched about different types of IDD and common disabilities in kids, as well as interviewing therapy centers and pediatric doctors to understand more about how kids with IDD learn.

Soph year, i decided to join Group X, and start my own "program" of therapy. The original goal of Group X was focused on physical activity and teamwork exercises, like things you would do at camp. The "program" within Group X i started was Art Therapy, and we would meet with these students 1x a week or 1x every other week to do art projects that tied into their homeworks from school. I truly believe that art can make education more fun, and actually simplify a lot of concepts that might be intimidating to students with disabilities. For example, 2 weeks we focused on "handwriting therapy" where we used paintbrushes and water color to help learn how to write and draw in a way that reduces pressure on your hands, and makes writing more enjoyable.

The reason I joined Group X was to gain access to the kids that the group was already involved it, as it seemed more reliable than a random college girl asking schools to let me teach art to their young kids.

My issue is how do I classify this? I don't want to come across like im the founder of Group X because im not, but i DID start the art therapy "program" or branch of that. When I did fundraisers on campus, i would have the sign say "My art program fundraiser" instead of "Group X and my art program fundraiser". Am I allowed to say I started an org?

Leadership - not listed elsewhere

Reactions: 1 users

Agreed. But don’t call it an organization. Call it an Art Program, or whatever the officers of the parent organization will recognize when you use one of them as the required Contact.

You might also add an entry for your various artistic interests under Hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. But don’t call it an organization. Call it an Art Program, or whatever the officers of the parent organization will recognize when you use one of them as the required Contact.

You might also add an entry for your various artistic interests under Hobbies.

I was going to ask about this too! I do a lot of hyperreallistic style oil paintings, but its not like ive entered competitions or something. Its simply something I love to do in my free time. Would it make sense to also list a website for my art under "hobbies"? ALso, when you said to add an entry, did you mean the Art Therapy program or just be doing art in general?

Gotcha!

Could I still list this as hours of me joining a club called Group X? What i mean by that is, since im technically still a member of group X, but also my program "leader" can i count those as 2 seperate activities? So if i did 55 hours in art therapy, can i also put 55 hours in Group X? I dont want to double dip but technically I am a part of that group so im jsut a little confused on listing hours

Gotcha!

Could I still list this as hours of me joining a club called Group X? What i mean by that is, since im technically still a member of group X, but also my program "leader" can i count those as 2 seperate activities? So if i did 55 hours in art therapy, can i also put 55 hours in Group X? I dont want to double dip but technically I am a part of that group so im jsut a little confused on listing hours
Yea, you can split it into 2 entries:

1) Volunteering - Not Clinical/Medical
2) Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere

You can also make a separate entry for your oil painting (Hobbies).

Do you have any leadership role in the group X like art program coordinator?

Do you have any leadership role in the group X like art program coordinator?

Yep! Well, when they refer to me or the program, they used "contact our art therapy program leader my name" or once they said "Art therapy program founder and leader"

But i wasnt treasurer/vp/president of Group X itself or anything

Yep! Well, when they refer to me or the program, they used "contact our art therapy program leader my name" or once they said "Art therapy program founder and leader"

But i wasnt treasurer/vp/president of Group X itself or anything
Then you can show "Art therapy program founder and leader" as long as someone (like faculty adviser) can vouch for it. Leadership doesn't mean president/VP/treasurer only. Like you, my son created a new program for an existing club and they created a new title for him.

Then you can show "Art therapy program founder and leader" as long as someone (like faculty adviser) can vouch for it. Leadership doesn't mean president/VP/treasurer only. Like you, my son created a new program for an existing club and they created a new title for him.
Awesome! Thank you for your help:)

Gotcha!

That is double dipping. If you did 55 hours with the Art Therapy program that’s what you did and who you did it with. You obviously have hours from before you established your own arm of Group X . Those would be counted separately. But the 55 hours can only be counted once. You didn’t do 110 hours you did 55.
Be sure to include your hobby of oil painting. You don’t have to have entered competitions for a hobby, something you did strictly for your own pleasure.

Reactions: 2 users
That is double dipping. If you did 55 hours with the Art Therapy program that’s what you did and who you did it with. You obviously have hours from before you established your own arm of Group X . Those would be counted separately. But the 55 hours can only be counted once. You didn’t do 110 hours you did 55.
Be sure to include your hobby of oil painting. You don’t have to have entered competitions for a hobby, something you did strictly for your own pleasure.

Okay yeah, thats exactly what i was worried about. Sorry if this is redundant, i dont know the exact layout of the application because I will apply in May, so I would list Art Therapy Program as a seperate leadership experience, and count all 55 hours for that. And whatever i have for Group X, would be under group X, but seperate from the hours done in Art Therapy?

In my hobbies section, i plan to add 2 things: painting and coding. Painting is the biggest, Have done it for WAY longer and love it a bunch more. But coding was a very recent hobby i picked up which proved useful during quarantine. I've gotten decent enough at it where i might be able to land an unpaid internship just for 2 months. This doesn't really play into my med school plan other than i just thought it was cool honestly. I have written a couple programs that actually track movements when you're exercising and give you feed-back (EX: it records you jump roping, and tells you how many jumps you took based on AI recognition, and which arm you used more). Its not anything crazy but i felt i could explain to med schools that since people ahve turned to home-workouts, it might help give them better feedback of what they're doing.

Sorry, that was a lot, my point was, is this going to help me potentially? Its not my most meaningful experience but i would also love to talk about it even though its not exactly painting or pre-med related. Hopefully that made sense lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay yeah, thats exactly what i was worried about. Sorry if this is redundant, i dont know the exact layout of the application because I will apply in May, so I would list Art Therapy Program as a seperate leadership experience, and count all 55 hours for that. And whatever i have for Group X, would be under group X, but seperate from the hours done in Art Therapy?
Yes. Art Therapy wouldn’t be included under Group X. It’s a separate , functioning group that you have spun off Group X.

Hobbies can make you stand out and that’s a good thing. And hobbies certainly don’t have to be med school related. That might make you seem boring and only focused on getting into med school.

I was going to ask about this too! I do a lot of hyperreallistic style oil paintings, but its not like ive entered competitions or something. Its simply something I love to do in my free time.
1) Would it make sense to also list a website for my art under "hobbies"?
2) ALso, when you said to add an entry, did you mean the Art Therapy program or just be doing art in general?
1) Best not to.

2) I feel you should have two entries: Hobbies and either Leadership or Community Service-Not Medical/Clinical if you don't already have strength in that category via another activity. If you want to mention belonging to Group X as part of the backstory, that's fine, but I would not use a third space for general club membership that won't add greater appeal to your application.

1) Best not to.

2) I feel you should have two entries: Hobbies and either Leadership or Community Service-Not Medical/Clinical if you don't already have strength in that category via another activity. If you want to mention belonging to Group X as part of the backstory, that's fine, but I would not use a third space for general club membership that won't add greater appeal to your application.
Gotcha. Thank you for explaining it to me!

1) Best not to.

I forgot to ask something last time! I used to do these local steak-cook offs about once year, and a bunch of people would show up for tasting and buying food. The most recent 2 years, me and a couple friends who would help me set up decided we could "partner" up with a local homeless shelter to help have kind of a food drive sort of thing so that these people could enjoy good food too and for free. Since a lost of people competed and not everyone won, there was a lot of food going to waste if it wasn't bought. I am planning on listing this steak cook off thing I did as a hobby, however, does the 2x food drive count as volunteering? Not sure if this is something I list as hours or simply an event that occured

does the 2x food drive count as volunteering? Not sure if this is something I list as hours or simply an event that occured
Yes, it's "Volunteer/Community Service," but I'd suggest grouping it with another short-term volunteer effort rather than listing it on it's own so the hours are bulked up.

Yes, it's "Volunteer/Community Service," but I'd suggest grouping it with another short-term volunteer effort rather than listing it on it's own so the hours are bulked up.

I only have 1 activity which is VERY short term at the food bank. I probably did only like 5 hours, but it was so miniscule i was thinking of not checking it since i have a bunch of hours for other activities.

So should i still group with with the food bank activity?

I only have 1 activity which is VERY short term at the food bank. I probably did only like 5 hours, but it was so miniscule i was thinking of not checking it since i have a bunch of hours for other activities.

So should i still group with with the food bank activity?
How many hours would you add for the food drives?

6-7 hours each time, twice. So about 12-14 hours for the 2 drives. If im including planning for all 2 then maybe 17-18 hours total for both drives together
Those are fairly meager hours. You might do better to mention the endeavors as an aside in the food cooking hobby. Maybe call the hobby "Feeding People."

• Love