I don't know if I can continue in this profession, but don't know what else to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asimplecleanlife

Reaction score
I have been practicing outpatient FM for 5 years since residency (made it through med school and residency by the skin of my teeth, especially since there was so much pressure coming from a family of doctors and I was pretty much told when I was young that I couldn't do anything else with my life.) I don't think I'm good at it.

I started out the first couple of years after residency doing ok, patients said they liked me, then over the past year things gradually, subtly got worse. I got a couple of negative Yelp reviews that basically said I wasn't able to help them the way they wanted or answer their questions, but they didn't say what exactly the problem was, and a bunch of patients switched over to other providers in the same group. They didn't give information as to why. There are still some patients that say they like me. I am the youngest person in my practice and the other doctors in our group are all old enough to be my parents, so obviously there is a gap between their level of experience and mine. Some of them manage to see 30+ patients almost every day (how they do it, I can't imagine.) Part of it is my fault. I am very introverted ( I was tested for Asperger's but told I don't have it, tested for ADHD and told I have very mild symptoms but stimulant meds just made me jittery and anxious) and also it turns out I have mild dyspraxia which means I lose money by avoiding hands-on procedures that other doctors find easy for fear of screwing up on a live patient (had some bad experiences early in my training.) The EHR alone is exhausting me every night.
Even so, I realized that deep down I don't like constantly interacting with people without getting a break, and I have no idea how to find a job that I could do well that doesn't involve direct patient care. I don't actually like health care or clinical medicine. I haven't kept up on my clinical knowledge as much as I should though I still pay for subscriptions for UpToDate and JAMA, and even though I tell myself I'm going to read more journals and update my knowledge on weekends I can't make myself do it. I have no idea how to do anything else and I really relate to large parts of some other anonymous physician's rant (just search reddit for "I hate being a doctor") and look for the one on offmychest from a few years ago- it won't let me link to it.)

I have no idea what to do or how to keep going in this job for the next 30 years. I cannot see myself in this profession for much longer, though I haven't gotten in any legal trouble and I do my best to perform my job and document to the best of my ability. I do have a history of depression and also lost 2 of my grandparents this year, so that isn't helping. I have no idea what to do about my future.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Start with getting treatment for the depression first! It will cloud your judgment, thought, motivation and attitude. This alone may put you in a completely different mindset. Maybe you come out on the other side of this depression thing and find it very rewarding helping people with similar struggles.

Don’t worry how fast your older colleagues get through seeing patients. Chances are they’ve known each other for decades which buys them better reviews. The more familiar your patients are with you, the more efficient the visits become.

If you find that there is any aspect of your job that you enjoy, make it your niche and find a
Do you have loans requiring a high income to just keep your head above water?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm only a OMS1 but maybe there are fellowships/subspecialties that give a better lifestyle in family med? Like less people conversations?
Maybe geriatrics. They probably don't talk that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a OMS1 but maybe there are fellowships/subspecialties that give a better lifestyle in family med? Like less people conversations?
Have you met old people? I'm not making fun here, but aside from the ones that tend to babble or have dementia, some get their few and only social moments a month going to clinic to talk to the doctor. Old people can talk a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
Have you met old people? I'm not making fun here, but aside from the ones that tend to babble or have dementia, some get their few and only social moments a month going to clinic to talk to the doctor. Old people can talk a lot.

And I can get it. Often they're widows or dealing with a spouse with dementia issues. They don't want to burden their children with complaints so you become the outlet.

Frequently, you ARE the medicine.

Edited: their --> they're

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
And I can get it. Often their widows or dealing with a spouse with dementia issues. They don't want to burden their children with complaints so you become the outlet.

Frequently, you ARE the medicine.
When I was a premed shadowing, after one visit, the doctor turned to me and said “that was a social visit”. And it was a lightbulb moment.

Now I call them (to myself) therapeutic social visits.

I have been practicing outpatient FM for 5 years since residency (made it through med school and residency by the skin of my teeth, especially since there was so much pressure coming from a family of doctors and I was pretty much told when I was young that I couldn't do anything else with my life.) I don't think I'm good at it.

I started out the first couple of years after residency doing ok, patients said they liked me, then over the past year things gradually, subtly got worse. I got a couple of negative Yelp reviews that basically said I wasn't able to help them the way they wanted or answer their questions, but they didn't say what exactly the problem was, and a bunch of patients switched over to other providers in the same group. They didn't give information as to why. There are still some patients that say they like me. I am the youngest person in my practice and the other doctors in our group are all old enough to be my parents, so obviously there is a gap between their level of experience and mine. Some of them manage to see 30+ patients almost every day (how they do it, I can't imagine.) Part of it is my fault. I am very introverted ( I was tested for Asperger's but told I don't have it, tested for ADHD and told I have very mild symptoms but stimulant meds just made me jittery and anxious) and also it turns out I have mild dyspraxia which means I lose money by avoiding hands-on procedures that other doctors find easy for fear of screwing up on a live patient (had some bad experiences early in my training.) The EHR alone is exhausting me every night.
Even so, I realized that deep down I don't like constantly interacting with people without getting a break, and I have no idea how to find a job that I could do well that doesn't involve direct patient care. I don't actually like health care or clinical medicine. I haven't kept up on my clinical knowledge as much as I should though I still pay for subscriptions for UpToDate and JAMA, and even though I tell myself I'm going to read more journals and update my knowledge on weekends I can't make myself do it. I have no idea how to do anything else and I really relate to large parts of some other anonymous physician's rant (just search reddit for "I hate being a doctor") and look for the one on offmychest from a few years ago- it won't let me link to it.)

I have no idea what to do or how to keep going in this job for the next 30 years. I cannot see myself in this profession for much longer, though I haven't gotten in any legal trouble and I do my best to perform my job and document to the best of my ability. I do have a history of depression and also lost 2 of my grandparents this year, so that isn't helping. I have no idea what to do about my future.

See someone for your mental health issues. Get your disability insurance situation squared away before this though if you haven't already.

Start exercising and taking care of yourself.

Is there a knowledge gap where you are struggling managing common conditions? If so, you need to correct this to improve your efficiency.

Regarding the EMR, how do your partners document? If you are being overly detailed, this will just show you down without any benefit.

With the new coding guidelines, honestly it should decrease your burden and allow you to hit level 4 visits for a majority of your visits.

There are a lot of jobs that are pseudo clinical.

1.Medical Director of a FQHC. This entails some clinical duties and administrative stuff as well.

2. Get in on the insurance side of things with a company.

3. Try to get a job with a government institution. I'm not too familiar with the VA, but something like this where volume is not an issue.

You don't necessarily have to practice for 30 more years. If you live frugally and as long as you didn't have more than, say, 300,000 of debt, you can attain financial independence after about 10 years as an attending.

Most people don't save more than 10 or 20% of their income. In fact, the US savings rate is usually around 7-8%.
If you save 50% or more of your gross income as an FM doc you can live on slightly more than the average US *family* does and be financially independent after about 10 years. It really depends on your expenses and number of dependents, private school, and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not being able to see 30+pts a day. I have noticed as a somewhat young attending that many docs that see 30+ pts a day don't document well or barely examine the patient. This is what I've noticed as a patient as well. 2 to 2.5 patients an hour sustained, even accounting for no shows and cancellations, is not terrible imho

Reactions: 3 users
Open your own private practice.
Be the boss.
Slow things down with how you document.
Document the way you want, how you want.
Take control of your practice - even if your choices reduce your income.

Reactions: 1 users
Switch to urgent care. It’s completely different than clinic medicine. You only focus on 1-2 acute problems and if you can make a good first impression, which it seems like you are capable of doing, then you’re golden. I feel like I sometimes suffer with the same issue of trying to please everyone and it’s hard to do on a consistent basis. With urgent care you’re constantly meeting new and different people and not dealing with the same problems from the same patients. Trust me on this one.

Do you like nursing homes? I like that when I’m at the nursing home I’m more in charge of my schedule and how many patients I’m seeing that day. The patients like talking to everyone and many of mine have dementia and don’t remember conversation anyways. It’s not what I want to do all day every day but it’s a change of pace.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if telehealth may be more up your alley. You can schedule when you want and get breaks when you want. Or you know, go locum. Reading UTD over the weekend sounds like a very not fun weekend.... Usually teaching med students prompts me to look up the latest, or when they ask me something, I tell them to present a quick 5 minute lecture after looking it up. Win-win. Another way to keep up to date is to pick a couple cases you're not 100% sure about and pull up the latest AFP article on it. Small amount of commitment and you can build your knowledge base over time.

It sounds like the depression + an overactive guilt gland are preventing you from figuring out what you really like. I'd suggest picking one or two things that you *really* liked about your day and see if you can figure out what that is. Was it talking with the patients, figure out the diagnoses, teaching the medical student, or figuring out billing?

Now that you became a doctor like your parents forced you to be, quit The moment you pay your student debt and go work in anything that makes you happy. Who cares how much money you make. Just don’t do what you are doing. From what you describe, it is t a matter of just pulling yourself up by the bootstraps. You’ve done that your whole life. You did hard things. good for you—sincerely.

no offense, but screw your parents and any parent who would force their kid to be anything They don’t want to be. As long as i was happy and could support my family (even humbly), my parents always made me feel that I could do whatever I wanted. Garbage man? my father would surly say, “great idea! Good income, GREAT job security, and your not stuck at a desk!”

seriously.. any parent should be that way. so prepare yourself to leave medicine. Others have done it. Like that one guy who thinks that he is a lot hotter than what he really is on YouTube that quit right after a plastic sx residency?? Him. for now, be at peace knowing that you Have a plan to leave and that y0ur situation isn’t permanent. Until then, start networking and brainstorming.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I started out the first couple of years after residency doing ok, patients said they liked me, then over the past year things gradually, subtly got worse. I got a couple of negative Yelp reviews that basically said I wasn't able to help them the way they wanted or answer their questions, but they didn't say what exactly the problem was, and a bunch of patients switched over to other providers in the same group. They didn't give information as to why. There are still some patients that say they like me. I am the youngest person in my practice and the other doctors in our group are all old enough to be my parents, so obviously there is a gap between their level of experience and mine. Some of them manage to see 30+ patients almost every day (how they do it, I can't imagine.) Part of it is my fault. I am very introverted ( I was tested for Asperger's but told I don't have it, tested for ADHD and told I have very mild symptoms but stimulant meds just made me jittery and anxious) and also it turns out I have mild dyspraxia which means I lose money by avoiding hands-on procedures that other doctors find easy for fear of screwing up on a live patient (had some bad experiences early in my training.) The EHR alone is exhausting me every night.ly

Medicine sucks. This job is occasionally real medicine, but ALWAYS customer service. Heck, half the reviews online about a physician are just Karens complaining about the bill or the wait time.

It's a dead on job for some people (me included), which means that in 30 years, you'll be doing what you are doing right now. In order to avoid this tragic fate, my recommendation is to save your $, invest it well, then quit/cut down the first moment that you think you have enough to live a basic but comfortable life. That's my plan anyway.

• Love
Medicine sucks. This job is occasionally real medicine, but ALWAYS customer service. Heck, half the reviews online about a physician are just Karens complaining about the bill or the wait time.

It's a dead on job for some people (me included), which means that in 30 years, you'll be doing what you are doing right now. In order to avoid this tragic fate, my recommendation is to save your $, invest it well, then quit/cut down the first moment that you think you have enough to live a basic but comfortable life. That's my plan anyway.
Eh, I think that's a bit harsh.

Medicine is a job first and foremost. In my mind that's the first thing people need to realize. Its work. Its fairly important work, often rewarding, but at the end of the day its still work. That means having to deal with frustrations like every job has. And of course there's a customer service aspect, any job that deals with people has that. Personally that's one of the great things about being FM where I am - I'm booked out for new patients 6-8 weeks. I get to basically be myself and if people don't like it, I can replace them pretty much immediately. Besides, after a time my patient panel will be just people who know what kind of doctor I am and it will work for them. Takes time, but paraphrasing @Blue Dog , you build the patient panel that you want.

Its also pretty well compensated work. Heck, if you're willing to move we have a new rheumatologist starting later this month whose schedule is already booked out to mid January. Our 1 current doctor is just shy of 90th percentile MGMA for rheum.

Beyond that: most jobs are "dead end" jobs. Sure some teachers go on to be principals but most just teach. Some lawyers become judges, but most just practice law. You get the idea.

As a fun side note, the OP hasn't logged in since starting this thread. That's a shame because there is some good advice here.

post of the year !

Consider part time or job change (direct primary care, nursing home, urgent care, rural ED, hospitalist medicine if possible usually isn't nonstop patients it's patients then orders then notes with a fair amount of time not directly face to face with patients). Maybe you just need to a join a different practice that is less rushed. Consider a residency clinic that has longer appointment times and incorporates teaching so it's no as busy with patients non stop all day.

Consider retraining (pathology if you don't enjoy patient interaction, palliative care if you don't want to be rushed, anesthesia, etc etc) It means another residency, but if it means doing what you will actually enjoy who cares (assuming you can tolerate it financially)

Consider leaving medicine for a different job altogether.

Drop down to 1-2 days a week. As a physician, you'll be able to live above the median even doing that. Its amazing how much more you can like your job working part time.

Eh, I think that's a bit harsh.

Medicine is a job first and foremost. In my mind that's the first thing people need to realize. Its work. Its fairly important work, often rewarding, but at the end of the day its still work. That means having to deal with frustrations like every job has. And of course there's a customer service aspect, any job that deals with people has that. Personally that's one of the great things about being FM where I am - I'm booked out for new patients 6-8 weeks. I get to basically be myself and if people don't like it, I can replace them pretty much immediately. Besides, after a time my patient panel will be just people who know what kind of doctor I am and it will work for them. Takes time, but paraphrasing @Blue Dog , you build the patient panel that you want.

Its also pretty well compensated work. Heck, if you're willing to move we have a new rheumatologist starting later this month whose schedule is already booked out to mid January. Our 1 current doctor is just shy of 90th percentile MGMA for rheum.

Beyond that: most jobs are "dead end" jobs. Sure some teachers go on to be principals but most just teach. Some lawyers become judges, but most just practice law. You get the idea.

As a fun side note, the OP hasn't logged in since starting this thread. That's a shame because there is some good advice here.

I’ll echo some of the sentiments here. One of the best things about medicine is that most jobs are a “dead end”. I’d rather find a set up I like and stick with it then be “climbing the ladder”, which often entails moving and re establishing. That’s part of the reason I avoided academics. To move up often you have to move elsewhere, and I don’t want that life for me or my family.

Now if you’re not happy in your “dead end” you should look to change something. A lot of good suggestions for different practice settings or types on this thread.

Goofy SDN Thanksgiving pilgrim hat theme contest! Feel free to add your own. :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.41.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.41.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.41.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.41.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.41.54 PM.png

• Haha
Open your own private practice.
Be the boss.
Slow things down with how you document.
Document the way you want, how you want.
Take control of your practice - even if your choices reduce your income.

This is maybe fine in psychiatry, but for FM the number of solo provider practices are dwindling for many reasons incl. that group practices offer expanded hours to patients, have back up coverage, etc. Plus OP doesn’t sound like the type of person who is going to want to manage staff and run a practice

Consider part time or job change (direct primary care, nursing home, urgent care, rural ED, hospitalist medicine if possible usually isn't nonstop patients it's patients then orders then notes with a fair amount of time not directly face to face with patients). Maybe you just need to a join a different practice that is less rushed. Consider a residency clinic that has longer appointment times and incorporates teaching so it's no as busy with patients non stop all day.

Consider retraining (pathology if you don't enjoy patient interaction, palliative care if you don't want to be rushed, anesthesia, etc etc) It means another residency, but if it means doing what you will actually enjoy who cares (assuming you can tolerate it financially)

Consider leaving medicine for a different job altogether.
Retraining kinda makes sense. You can become telerad and have 0 interaction with patients if you like. And of course path

Drop down to 1-2 days a week. As a physician, you'll be able to live above the median even doing that. Its amazing how much more you can like your job working part time.

this is so true
im currently working 4 days a week ( Mon - Thurs) and it has done wonders on my mental health
used to do 7 on and 7 off as a hospitalist
Due to covid, decided to do 5 days of out patient instead ( mixture of zoom and face to face encounter)

then i found this 4 day work week that seems to be the perfect balance for me and my family
1-2 days of urgent care
1-2 days of primary care

and i have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off.. ALWAYS!

The urgent care gig is more of a break, since you don't have to do all those disability forms etc
and you address 1-2 complains.. if it's a laceration you suture it
if it's an asthma exacerbation, you treat it and THEN "back to your PCP"

i always have a smile on my face everytime i say " pls follow up with your regular doctor in 3-5 days!)

Try Hospital medicine.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid. I don't think I've outgrown it. I also don't like the constant one patient encounter after the other in primary care.
As a hospitalist, I have 12 hours to see a number of patients. I can see as many patients as I'm up for--and then go chart for a while. You can give yourself a little mental downtime. And get back at it when you're ready.

Lol! "only a OMS1...", you havent met old patients, that is mostly what they come in for, especially here in the south. When I told one of my little old ladies that my wife and myself are expecting a baby...literally the next 2-3d my schedule was booked with all of her friends their friends for "back pain/ hip pain/ sniffles" and the entire conversation was about us expecting and when I tried to steer the conversation about their CC, it was met with "oh but ive been dealing with it for years so I am ok"

• Haha
Old people live to come to the doctor. In residency I had my whole group of ladies, we had a book club, we talked quilting, ancestry. They love history and telling stories.