I don't know what to do with my degree, what to do next.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melissa1981

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What I'm about to ask is probably completely off-topic for this forum, but I hope someone will extend me an olive branch.

I currently go to a university in Louisiana. I am scheduled to graduate in August with a BS in Criminal Justice and with a minor in Psychology. While I know that many people scoff at CJ degrees, I thought it would a good degree. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my studies. With graduation pending and job prospects not good for CJ degree holders, I wanted to continue my education so that it may give me a broader range of jobs to apply for. Therein lies my problem. I don't know what to do, I don't know what I want to do. For the last few months I've thought that if I went ahead and got my MS in CJ it would help me to, at the very least, land a teaching job as an adjunct. But I need more than that; I need to be able to do more with a degree than rely on one job that may not even be possible. In short, I don't want to waste my time if it's not worth it. I do not want to be a police officer, not that I'd need a degree to do so anyway and it's not that I have anything against the field. It's just not for me. Originally I'd planned to try to work in parole/probation. But a couple of years ago I fell out of a truck and I cannot run the 11 miles everyday that I could up to that point. Basically, I wouldn't be able to pass the physical because of the pain in my foot. Walking I can do all day long, but not running. Obviously if I needed to physically catch someone it'd be difficult considering the circumstances. Originally, I'd planned to get my MS then my PhD in CJ so I could be a professor, but again I don't know if it'd be worth it.

I'm sorry that was long-winded. I just wanted to give you guys some background to go off of before I asked my questions.

Is it easy, or even possible, to get into a different master's program with my degree? If so, which degrees? I just feel so hopeless, because I'm so unsure of what I should do. I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me.

-Melissa
This website as a whole is dedicated to people in healthcare, with most of the focus on medicine and dentistry. In addition, this subforum is dedicated to those who are seeking medical and dental school acceptances but have either low GPAs or need to do the pre-reqs to get in. This website as a whole is the wrong place for you to be asking these questions to unless you want to pursue healthcare which you haven't inferred at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I should've added more information. I'm leaning towards psych/socio field, but is a CJ w/ a minor in Psych enough to go on to get into a master's program relating to either of those fields.
Neither of those is really covered by this forum - as I said, its focused on medicine and dentistry

there are psych, social work and public health forums elsewhere on SDN.

but i don't understand why you'd come to SDN to ask about this. get some mentors and experience in your field of interest before you ask anonymous internet strangers who could be malicious 13 year olds in Malaysia for all you know.