• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

I don’t like my job and don’t know what to do

biomom

Jun 2, 2020
  1. Psychology Student
I was a premed many years ago. I got a masters in molecular biology, was accepted to a school and then found out I was pregnant. This predates MomMd. I was given a year off, but I stupidly did not go back. I taugh bio at a university and took more courses. I had the chance to apply again and was in full-time MCAT study mode. Then I was diagnosed with cancer. Two years later, I was better. I felt med school was over. I had wanted to be a psychiatrist so badly. I decided to get a PhD in Psychology. It still met my goals and passions. I was 2 years into the program, and my adult son’s life fell apart. He has autism, and his transition to adulthood is the worst thing I could’ve imagined. It meant working with the county, driving him to therapy, social workers etc. I had to become his guardian. The school allowed me to get my masters. I was very upset. I really don’t believe in mid levels because the education is just inadequate. You learn about theories, but don’t learn how to utilize any of them. Many of my masters level colleagues use dance therapy or theater therapy? They do not believe in diagnosing and usually give adjustment disorder. I don’t believe the DSM is perfect, but giving a good diagnosis helps with interventions and communication with other professionals. My opinion though. Basically, I would never take my child to someone with a masters. I feel like I just can’t work as I’m a fraud. We don’t live near my former University. What are my chances of getting into a doctoral program now? Maybe I really could train as a neuropsychologist.

Reactions: 1 user

foreverbull

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
This may be implied in your post, but just double-checking: have you completely lost interest in your molecular bio career?

Sounds like you’ve had a lot of challenges you’ve had to face in your life. My understanding is that you are philosophically against practicing at the master’s level because of the inadequate training, but here you are with a master’s degree. You have a few options here: (1) seek (likely expensive) training/supervision in a specialty/practice modality that would help you feel more comfortable with practicing at this level, or (2) yes you can reapply to doctoral programs again, but it might be hard to get in this time if you are honest about having to cut your doctoral studies short given the circumstances in your life & family at the time. Some programs might consider accepting you as risky (and perhaps unfairly so) given that you did not complete your last doctoral program, so it might be a bit of a challenge to reapply elsewhere—you’d have to make a very good case for yourself to try again. And say you did get in—do you have another 6-8 years of training/lost income potential before licensure that you’re able to sacrifice at this point after earning two master’s degrees?

I appreciate your caution about master’s level practice and desire to be better-trained, but given your circumstances, it would actually be cheaper in the long run to seek additional training professionally so that you feel more comfortable practicing at your current level (with evidence-based practice training, etc.) than to start over in a doctoral program, but it’s up to you, ultimately.

Reactions: 5 users

biomom

Jun 2, 2020
  1. Psychology Student
I would feel better about going to molecular biology but I had to quit my teaching/lab job when I had cancer. They replaced me. It’s been 15 years. I’ve forgotten a lot.

I think looking for supervision is a good option. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users

Sanman

O.G.
Sep 2, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
  1. Psychologist
What are your chances of getting in? No idea without some updated scores to get a general idea of your accomplishments.

The bigger question, in my mind, is (at least in the U.S.) do you have the the stability in your life to take on 7-9 years of education and multiple relocations in order to get a doctorate? From the post, it does not sound like you do, but I don't know you.

Have you thought about pursuing something like an Applied Behavior Analyst program if more general masters level training is not of interest and a doctorate is not possible?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.