i don't like research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gellybean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how should i answer a question on my secondary that asks for my interest level in pursuing a career in medical research and/or academic medicine? should I be honest???
anyone else with the same prob...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes..be honest...and avoid the question.. :)
Say instead "This is what I have learned from research and I think it will make me a better physician b/c of blah blah blah"

Say, "while there is a possibility that I could continue this endeavor...I see myself as being a primary care..blah blah blah.."

Bling bling...

Why doesn't anyone want to do academics? I have been exposed significantly to academic medicine and would like to pursue it, actually. :(

Alicia

Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't anyone want to do academics? I have been exposed significantly to academic medicine and would like to pursue it, actually

Uh, you kinda just answered your own question.

gellybean, based on the fact that you also started a thread asking about the pritzker secondary, i have to wonder if you're referring to the pritzker secondary here too. if you really dislike research that much, then you don't want to go to pritzker. their claim to fame is the number of academic physicians they churn out, and research is heavily encouraged there--there are research electives built into the curriculum. there's even talk about restructuring the med school curriculum so that it is solely about training medical scientists. and i wouldn't lie on the secondary about liking research, because they can sniff this out in an interview.

if you're talking about some other school, then disregard....

I don't like research either, and have been putting off finishing my Keck secondary because of that awful question about "your level of interest in a career as a full-time faculty member in a medical school and proven examples of your research experience, if any." Are they trying to discourage non research/academic types from applying with this question? Can I just say I love to read other people's research?

I think gellybean maybe referring to the USC 2ndary! Boy was it long!!!..and to think that USC is waiting for verified apps is just so annoying when you spend so much time answering 7 question! Yuck!!

Well..to answer gellybean...USC is currently undergoing significant changes...They really are pushing research etc..So...I think that if you don't like research..you need to somehow validate it. Ie have you been active enough in a lab to know that you'll hate it? or is it the idea that bugs you? Explain and support your preferences. Also, realize that every school is looking for something specific..and if you dislike something that a school is really into..then you may not be satisfied there.

If this is USC...know that they really are into academic medicine..so if you must go to USC..then...LIE! :D Just Kidding!..Just support your view and it should be okay.

Good Luck!

Keck is USC, and I'm not a very good liar. Hmmmmmm, maybe it's not worth doing those 7 questions. :confused:

Just apply..jeez...relax people..they aren't ONLY going to take academic minded peeps.

Here's my answer to number 7 (roughly):

While I see the benefits of academic medicine, I have stated in my personal statement and vision that I plan to become a primary care doctor. Hence, while I will try to handle research and med school at the same time, I see myself becoming a full time primary care doctor. So at this time, I do not see myself becoming a fulltime member of your faculty.

If they don't like me for that..then they can take it and shove it up their freaking A$$es!!!! I am not gonna freaking lie and say, "Yea, actually, everyting I said in my personal statement and vision are WRONG! I LIED! I really want to come to USC JUST SO I can become a full time faculty member.."
Oh please...

Watch it now..I will be the first to get the rejection letter :) haha
oh well....screw them..if that's how they act..I don't want 'em.

Scooby, i just had an oral surgery and stiches in my mouth; your post above made me laugh so hard, I think my stiches fell out from my upper lip. So from now on, you have to put a warning on what you write. :D :D :D :D :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, about Keck/USC, I have heard from several reliable sources that they are really pushing the academia angle this year. They are currently building a new genomics building with the Keck grant, and they would like to put themselves in the top 10 research schools (I think they're in the 20s right now), and in order to do that, they need to have some good faculty to bring in the grants and do the research. If you are interested in reseach, it would be a plus to say so, but I don't think you have to say you, personally, want to conduct research. Also, they specifically ask you about your interest in becoming a faculty member - a lot of doctors want to be associated with a medical school (to teach, etc.), but to do that, you also have to do some kind of research. It's great just to be interested because that means you will stay on top of the technology as a doctor. Besides, USC is pretty big on primary care as well - they like to see community service and commitment to the underserved. Well, there's my two cents.

Lady in red: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks guys for all your input...very helpful. Yeah, it was the USC secondary that's giving me probelms. It's collecting dust as I type...if they don't want me because I like research, they should want me because I'm honest about it!!!

I tend to think the desire to do at least clinical research is really important for future doctors. There are so many problems out there. I know I'd feel a little guilty if I just drew from the well of knowledge my whole life without adding anything to it. Just me though.