I dont think I'm being realistic..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutiepie83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's really think about this one, what university will even consider my application? With a CGPA 3.0 and GRE V510 Q680.. am I even being realistic applying in the first place? So what if I've volunteered a few times or even have all the desire needed to work in public health, from what I hear they often weed people out of the application process starting with the numbers..and my numbers aren't high enough :mad:. I have a feeling they're going to look at them and put them in the 'trash' pile. I guess I'll have to lose a few bucks to test my luck... *sigh*

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that numbers like those will get you "trashed" immediately at most schools. As long as you write a personal statement that demonstrates you have a clear understanding of, and commitment to, your chosen area of public health (and ideally to the particular school to which a given application is sent), you will have a shot. Be as specific about your plans as you can - schools generally like to see that you have some idea where you want to go with your degree and that you have the drive to complete the program and make a difference. If you are concerned about your competitiveness, make sure you apply to some second- or third-tier schools, and/or to lesser-known programs, where there will be fewer people competing for the same spots. Have a back-up plan just in case you don't get in, but meanwhile, remember why you wanted to get into public health in the first place, and let that guide you. :)

I agree with namazu - you're numbers really aren't that bad. I think that you will have a shot - apply all over though. Have your long shot schools and your back up schools, but make sure that these back up schools are places you are interested in going/living. Get some good recommendations and write a good personal statement detailing why you are attracted to public health and perhaps put in some long term goals on what you would do with a public health degree. I wouldn't give up though. The worst thing is to not try and then regret it years later that you never gave yourself a chance. If it's something that you really want than apply and if you don't get in (which I highly doubt), then work on your resume, grades, retake the GRE, etc... but don't give up. I knew people in my PH grad school that got in with stats similar to yours and my school was ranked in the top ten of PH schools ... so that should give you some hope:) Good luck!