I don't want to lose my wife! (Military HPSP and marriage)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hi performance

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on an Army HPSP scholarship and my girlfriend is on a Navy HPSP scholarship. I expect that we will get married by the time we graduate and I am seriously concerned about the prospects of being stationed together.

1) Any insight into the liklihood of an Army and Naval officer (married) being given special accomodation to allow for cohabitation would be greatly appreciated.

2) Anyone who has attempted w/ or w/o success to transfer services (e.g. army to navy or vice versa) from the HPS-program please comment on process and advice and timing.

3) Which of the two services is typically more accomodating to officer's married life. (e.g. simultaneous deployments vs. GMO and "At-Sea" tours)

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the army a few years back, and had no contact with Navy personell. The Army and Navy operate separately. I would not count on being close to each other, you could easily be on other sides of the country or the world. There is no provision for married couples from both branches I am aware of. Sorry.
AS far as deployment, the at-sea tour sounds better. a freind was in the Navy, and said you would still spend half of the year in your home port. When the army sends you to, for example Korea, you are staying there for a full year.