I feel like I suck at talking to interviewing pts and eliciting info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I have been on my 1st week of Medicine and I feel like I am just not speaking loud enough, confidently enough, and I am just such a nervous ball of energy when it comes to talking to patients. I feel like it's just me who is struggling compared to my co-interns. I never had an issue talking to patients in the clinic, but when I'm in the ED, it feels like I just am so anxious about what questions to ask for the CC when I evaluate a patient, that I completely miss the point.

I also don't ask questions in a "non-doctory way" or a "dumber way" in laymans terms...I was never criticuqed about this before, because I was doing it the same way my attending did it.

I also think maybe its just my quiet personality that likes to listen more, and not ask as many questions. But I sometimes have such a disorganized thought process when it comes to asking questions that are pertinent that it comes out as a disorganized word salad and the patient gets offended. I feel like I need to address this early now that I have some independence as an intern and won't get the same leeway I got in medical school.

Basically, I feel like I am having serious challenges formulating questions and answers in an articulate, clear, and reasonable fashion so that a lay man can answer.

Members don't see this ad.

In my EHR template I've customized, it has written in there so I don't forget:

OLD CARTS:
Onset location duration character aggravating/alleviating factors radiation timing severity
I try to ask have you had before what did you do at home/meds you took

Then it's PMASF
For the rest of history

I have that in template or if easier written on paper before I go in room so I know I'm on a mission to extract info

All of your pain and suffering as an intern you need to channel into your voice, you are busy Dr. Intern So and So and you have a frakking job to do

I come in introduce myself and tell them outright that I will probably sound short and interrupt them and I don't mean to be rude but it's because I know the questions I need answered so I can get them admitted quickly and start work on getting them better. That disclaimer seems to help them go with my flow and not be so angry that I'm curt

Remember, you need the elements above ASAP, and you will interrupt and redirect business-like to get it