kelpy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
I was talking to my pre-med advisor today and felt really nervous afterwards. I submitted my AMCAS app the last week of June and all my transcripts were in file by 7/7, however my app is still ready for review. I've only received one secondary from Columbia and have not finished it yet. I'm freaking out because my advisor told me that I'm really late in the game. It's going to be almost August until my app gets verified and then almost mid August by the time I submit my secondaries. The schools will fill out most of their spots by the time I interview. This rush sucks! Does anyone feel the same?

Also, I know that COlumbia does not do rolling admissions. However, would it still be better to submit the secondary soon? It's been almost 3 weeks since I received it, yet I want to wait for my primary to get verified before submitting it. But, I heard from someone that if you do not reply within 2 weeks of receiving a secondary, the schools think that you are not interested in them. What are your opinions on that?

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
With my husband, my kids, and the hellcat
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i think your advisor needs to calm down. who would try to make a pre-med more nervouse like this? you're fine. no need to sit on that secondary though. just get it over with and submitted so it's not hanging over your head. Think of all those people taking the August MCAT who don't get looked at until October. You're fine, you're fine.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I certainly agree that you're fine. There are many, many applications waiting to be reviewed, and more that haven't been submitted yet...most medical schools haven't even sent out secondaries to those who are verified. If you start going on your secondaries once you get them, you'll probably end up ahead of the game.

OP
K

kelpy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
THanks for the reassurance! :) Do adcoms review apps when the file is complete or do they look at the submssion date?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
kelpy said:
THanks for the reassurance! :) Do adcoms review apps when the file is complete or do they look at the submssion date?
When the file is complete. As they come in they get added to the bottom of the stack. There is usually a 4-6 week turn around in terms of having the appie read (by several different faculty members as well as a Dean) and making a decison to interview or to hold (maybe invite for interview later, maybe not).

Most schools don't start interviewing until September. The earliest anyone stops interviewing is mid-December. Don't worry!

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
kelpy said:
No worries mate. I'm still getting verified too and I just got this one lousy secondary from Columbia(they're just trying to raise funds). Anyways, people interview and get in as late as february so dont fret. As far as your question goes, I'm not exactly sure what ur asking. Can you clarify?

goinoutofmymind

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't worry, mine is still "Ready for Review" also. Most health profession advisor or admissions websites that I've seen say that if you submit your primary any time in June or July it wont put your application at a disadvantage.

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
the best cure for this feeling is to avoid this website for a little bit.

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
what was your advisor trying to do by saying you were really late in the game? freak you out? guess it worked. you already submitted...seems like a cheap shot comment. not to mention, you aren't late!

ya know, premed advisors suck sometimes.

coco11

will settle for roses
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
LifetimeDoc said:
I'm feeling very late. I've got my entire application done, except for my personal statement.
:thumbup:

Dov

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2006
CT
Status
Medical Student
kelpy said:
I was talking to my pre-med advisor today and felt really nervous afterwards. I submitted my AMCAS app the last week of June and all my transcripts were in file by 7/7, however my app is still ready for review. I've only received one secondary from Columbia and have not finished it yet. I'm freaking out because my advisor told me that I'm really late in the game. It's going to be almost August until my app gets verified and then almost mid August by the time I submit my secondaries. The schools will fill out most of their spots by the time I interview. This rush sucks! Does anyone feel the same?

Also, I know that COlumbia does not do rolling admissions. However, would it still be better to submit the secondary soon? It's been almost 3 weeks since I received it, yet I want to wait for my primary to get verified before submitting it. But, I heard from someone that if you do not reply within 2 weeks of receiving a secondary, the schools think that you are not interested in them. What are your opinions on that?
Although it does suck to apply late... you are by no means screwed. I applied early action to Yale and did not get in. I didnt apply to columbia until October 1st, got and interview and got in. It is not late ... now. Try to get everything done before school in september, dont hold on to secondaries more than a week or two and you'll be fine.

I really screwed up applying. I didn't know what I was doing and submitting some secondaries in November... it still worked for me.