I Forgot How To Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shannonigans

i prefer heartbeats to retweets
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I graduated in 2009 with a degree in Art History, then worked mostly in social media/digital marketing/PR before realizing I wanted to go back to school to become a doctor. I started my post-bacc pre-med classes on August 18 and I completely forgot what it was like to be a student (not to mention what it's like to study material I haven't seen since high school)! In addition to trying to get back into the swing of being a student, I'm just so flustered by external factors like refund checks not being processed so I can't buy books even though my first exam is Thursday(!), how to afford insurance now I'm not employed, should I be volunteering vs. finding a paying gig, etc.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to calm down? For example, I (like everyone) want to perform well in my classes (cough cough A's cough cough), but then I begin worrying that one mediocre exam grade throw off my overall class grade/GPA, I'm not a competitive non-trad applicant, I'll never get into med school, blah blah blah.

If someone could point me towards some helpful threads or give me some general advice, I would be SO grateful. I know it's okay to take time to adjust, but I feel like the semester is already moving so quickly and I'm afraid this initial round of (probably) mediocre scores will end up harming my grade in the short and longterm.

tl;dr: I need help creating an action plan so I can reassure myself that everything will be okay and I that I WILL kick ass this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Take things one step at a time. You didn't say how many classes you are taking, but hopefully it's just one to start, especially if it has a lab associated with it. If you're jumping in full time your first semester back, give some serious thought to dropping (or at least auditing) some of your classes while you adjust to being a student again this semester. You're better off getting an A in one class than Bs and Cs in a full load of classes.

Second, go to the school library to study. They probably have some copies of your class textbooks on reserve there; I always did that for my students when I was teaching. If not, they will have other similar textbooks available there, and you may even be able to check some out.

Third, while you want to start getting clinical experience sooner rather than later, again, take things one step at a time and don't try to do it all at once. After your first round of exams, you will have a better idea about how much time you need to study, and then you can start looking for a volunteering or shadowing gig.

Insurance....if you're eligible, apply for Medicaid. You may be eligible for COBRA from your old job, although this is usually a pretty pricey way to go. Your school probably also has a student health center for routine care and may also have a subsidized health insurance plan. Your county Dept. of Health and Planned Parenthood are other options for routine care like vaccines and women's health. If you're in Palm Beach County, Caridad is a free clinic that provides comprehensive care (including vision and dental) on a sliding scale for low income residents.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Breathe. Always remember to breathe.
2) in addition to library textbooks, there may/should also be a learning center of some variety that provides free tutoring. Also, go to professor's office hours- as many as you can, at least until you feel comfortable with the material. Also can't hurt to ask if the prof has a spare textbook you can borrow for the semester.
3) more advice on studying here
4) and to second Q, take it one step at a time. If you've got a full load, consider dropping/auditing one or more classes, at least til you get on your academic feet.
5) Breathe some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to the above, particularly the managing your class load part. I forget where this tidbit of information came from, but some adcom stated that grades tend to fall either transferring from CC (which I just did), or coming back from a long hiatus. I took this advice this term after classes started, and am damned glad for it. Just looking back a week, my grades would probably have suffered otherwise.

DON'T FORGET TO SLEEP. Worrying can sap your energy and your precious resting hours. Drink tea, meditate, take a warm bath, anything to help you recharge for the next day. Don't neglect it.

I am currently enrolled in a full-time class load: General Chem (plus lab), Biodiversity (plus lab and additional "discussion" hour), Calculus, and "Pre-Med Success" for a total of 13 credits. Otherwise, I wouldn't have qualified for some student loans/wouldn't have been able to pay bills, etc. I really do believe I'll be able to handle it- I just never thought I'd be in the 3rd week of a semester kicking myself for not trying harder my first week to engrain better study habits.

THANK YOU for the tips- that studying thread in particular is amazing. My school does offer an array of help (honestly, I'm agog at how many services this school offers its students) and I haven't taken advantage of about 80% of it. Definitely will be changing that up asap.

Also, read your syllabus like a Bible. Policies like dropping a low test grade can give you some wiggle room when you are desperate.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like stress and anxiety have a grip on you!
1. Spend the money and go get a deep tissue massage....clear your head/mind...breathe!
2. Step away from your academic situation (briefly) and re-motivate yourself as to WHY we have to study so hard.
3. Slow down: One equation, one chemical reaction at a time. Don't pour a fist full of Alka-Seltzer into warm root beer!
4. Have fun: Do the chicken dance when you get a problem right!..then go do another one...and so on....

If you train yourself to think education is a blast, you can have fun doing it. By the time you know it, they give you two little letters after your name!

Reactions: 4 users
@Rocketdog Your comment just made my day.

Thanks again to everyone who commented- the exam was a breeze (if I had a better study schedule the past couple of weeks, I would have aced it no problem). I have my first Chem and Calculus exams on Monday, and I'm actually looking forward to them!

Props to your cool avatar.

This is what I learned.

Studying for science classes, especially Chem and Physics isn't like liberal arts or social science classes. It was difficult for me to cram and to do a lot of reading in one sitting. The information just didn't stick. You really have to force yourself to spread the work on a daily basis and also do problems to reenforce what you learned.

@Aelius SO true! I was an Art History major in undergrand and I could sit for hours working on the same assignment (cough cough 20 page all nighters cough cough). Not to mention, it's difficult for me to split up an assignment over multiple days because, man, do I enjoy crossing it off on my to-do list. But if I've learned anything these past three weeks, it's that I really need to have a set schedule so I know that I will be pawing through my Chem notes every day at 4:35pm.

My mother will be cackling with glee when she hears this- I remember her telling me at 8 that I should "set aside 10 minutes a day" to review things so, when there was a test or big assignment, it wouldn't be too big a deal. #youwererightmom

Reactions: 1 user
Reading the syllabus is a biggie. I still can't believe how many people are shocked when I tell them their lowest test score will be dropped, or there is an opportunity for extra credit.

I am in CA, so things may be different, but my mother in law just got full Healthnet coverage (a really good plan) for $17/mo from the Obamacare insurance marketplace, though I don't believe it is open enrollment yet. If you have had a life change you can apply for up to 60 days after loss of coverage.

It sounds like you are off to a great start!

I am going to second the massage idea....can we all get one of those?

I could have written this post about a year ago.

Don't beat yourself up when you fall flat on your face. I have perfectionist tendencies and I would get a lot more stressed out than I should have about grades - while they are important, if you study hard, one bad test or quiz usually won't break you.

Give yourself time to, as you put it, 'learn how to student'. I have an art background as well and I didn't know how to do well in physics or gchem at a university level initally. I did my first set of pre reqs at a CC, and when I went to a University I got my ass handed to me my first quarter with B's. I am getting A's now, but it took awhile to learn what study methods worked for me, you know?

You're probably going to encounter one class that is your absolute kryptonite. It will frustrate and infuriate you. Just grit your teeth and make it through - this too shall pass.

Good luck. It's tough coming back from a long break AND with an art background - but it's doable :)

Wanted to post a quick update!

I thought I completely bombed by Bio exam (13.5/25), but I just received an email from the professor- apparently, she uploaded grades incorrectly and, instead of failing, I passed with a 20/25! With that encouragement, I finally got the courage to look at my chem exam grade: 112/100.
:biglove:

I'm still fairly certain I failed my calculus exam, but oh MAN, am I feeling better about this semester!

Thanks for all the tips, y'all. I'm sure I'll be back soon, hungry for more advice.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm currently in a Post-Bacc Pre Med program after going to undergrad for English...
I'm taking Chem, Bio, and Pre-Calc. I'm terrible at Math, and while I love both Chem and Bio, Biology is so much more accessible to me. I studied so hard for my Chem exam and got a C+. It was devastating, but my best friend is currently in medical school and told me that it's going to happen, and you're going to feel like you don't belong in the program sometimes. But you just have to get back up and try again. Trust me, easier said than done. Luckily Biology is going a lot better for me at the moment. So good luck. Post Bacc Solidarity!