I found a good book for getting all ethics questions correct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoboCommander

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see about ~5 ethics questions on every NBME, and only getting 3/5 (or 2/5) correct has really hurt my score. I actually got frustrated and angry at the subjective nature of these questions.

Then I went through the questions in BRS Behavioral Science, and they have basically the same ethics questions on the NBMEs and more! It's good practice with explanations. Now I'm finally getting all the ethics questions right! It's an easy +5 points for most people. Highly recommended minibook.

Members don't see this ad.

The book is great for "what drug is this patient withdrawing from?" type questions too! That's a few more easy points.

Is there a consensus on HY vs BRS for Behavioral Science?

Would the 5th edition work just fine, or should I think about getting the 6th edition?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add, if you're pressed for time you'll probably get the jist of what you need from the questions alone.

Just to add, if you're pressed for time you'll probably get the jist of what you need from the questions alone.

Oh yes I agree, you can do all 400-500 questions in the book in one sitting. There's no need to read it. The clinical vignettes are word-for-word on the NBMEs and the answer choices are similar too.

My score really went up because previously I've just been doing FA and UWorld, which are not strong on the behavioral sciences. I thought these were "thinking questions" that I was simply not good at, when in fact getting them right is just a matter of pattern recognition like any other board question.

I start M2 in July, so I won't be starting board prep for some time. I'm selecting my resources at the moment. I picked up HY Behavioral Science because it was super cheap, but if the consensus is BRS then I'll look into it. Any opinions on BRS 5th vs 6th edition? 6th is about 3x the price of 5th edition.

I start M2 in July, so I won't be starting board prep for some time. I'm selecting my resources at the moment. I picked up HY Behavioral Science because it was super cheap, but if the consensus is BRS then I'll look into it. Any opinions on BRS 5th vs 6th edition? 6th is about 3x the price of 5th edition.

You should talk to some of your classmates, there's old pdf versions of BRS floating around. Truthfully edition makes little difference, unless you're going for pharm but really in that case you're better off with FA

You should talk to some of your classmates, there's old pdf versions of BRS floating around. Truthfully edition makes little difference, unless you're going for pharm but really in that case you're better off with FA

2nd ed vs 5th ed is very much different for the BRS behavioral. Just FYI.

Not sure about 6th ed, but I would assume it is mostly similar.

There's a lot of basic-sciency neurotransmitter type questions... Did you like those too or did you just use it for the behavioral stuff?

There's a lot of basic-sciency neurotransmitter type questions... Did you like those too or did you just use it for the behavioral stuff?

you mean the pharm-type questions? the book covered it but i already knew that stuff from UWorld and FA. i'm sure some people will benefit from it, though.