I found a loophole!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I found a loophole today and wanted to share it with the rest of the pharm community in case anyone is in need of some help :) This works only ONCE you have been ADMITTED to the pharmacy school of your choice (or the one you will be attending)!

If you're having a lot of difficulty in one subject, as I am, (or maybe you are just lazy), call up that pharmacy school you will be attending. Tell them that you've already been admitted and ask if it would be okay for you to change the grading option for that particular pharmacy prequisite from letter grade to pass no pass. It worked for me! :) :) :) :) Now I can get a C- in physics (electricity & magnetism) and not have to worry about my GPA taking a toll for the worse. (Of course, if it is a really important class like biochemistry, I wouldn't try it! It'd most likely work for the non sciences--in my case, physics isn't considered a science class by all schools) If they approve, just be sure to email the school and have them email you back saying it'd be okay, so that you can have this in writing in case something funny happens in the future. Hope this relieves a LOT of stress for you guys as it did for me! Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks thats interesting! do you think it'll work for Calc II? I haven't really been puttin my all in it and have been averaging a C so far.. i should care, but i don't ..lol ..but yeah, thats good to know thanks endlesslove

endlesslove said:
Hey guys! I found a loophole today and wanted to share it with the rest of the pharm community in case anyone is in need of some help :) This works only ONCE you have been ADMITTED to the pharmacy school of your choice (or the one you will be attending)!

If you're having a lot of difficulty in one subject, as I am, (or maybe you are just lazy), call up that pharmacy school you will be attending. Tell them that you've already been admitted and ask if it would be okay for you to change the grading option for that particular pharmacy prequisite from letter grade to pass no pass. It worked for me! :) :) :) :) Now I can get a C- in physics (electricity & magnetism) and not have to worry about my GPA taking a toll for the worse. (Of course, if it is a really important class like biochemistry, I wouldn't try it! It'd most likely work for the non sciences--in my case, physics isn't considered a science class by all schools) If they approve, just be sure to email the school and have them email you back saying it'd be okay, so that you can have this in writing in case something funny happens in the future. Hope this relieves a LOT of stress for you guys as it did for me! Best of luck!

afablej said:
Thanks thats interesting! do you think it'll work for Calc II? I haven't really been puttin my all in it and have been averaging a C so far.. i should care, but i don't ..lol ..but yeah, thats good to know thanks endlesslove

if I learned anything today, it was you never know until you try and it doesn't hurt to just try and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :thumbup:

think the'd do this for Organic II ( :thumbdown: )

hmm.. interesting

I thought many pharm schools require to have letter grading option only

and although one gets admitted, it is still possible to be rejected if pre.req is

not properly completed.

jjunyi83 said:
and although one gets admitted, it is still possible to be rejected if pre.req is

not properly completed.

unfortunately, this is on a lot of our minds :(

skp said:
unfortunately, this is on a lot of our minds :(

yup i feel all of you. :( I withdrew from a non-prereq class this quarter with a W, and the possible consequences has been on my mind lately as well as the other classes i have yet to finish! oh well...hopefully in the end everything will work out, and if not then well it's my fault for taking on too much this quarter and not planning well! i tend to do this a lot- like you're so close to your goal then you do something stupid that may set you back.

good luck to you all.

jjunyi83 said:
hmm.. interesting

I thought many pharm schools require to have letter grading option only

not properly completed.

hi jjunyi83, yes, you are correct that many (actually, ALL) pharm schools require students to take the prerequisites for a letter grade (unless the school doesn't offer that class for a letter grade..i.e. speech). The resaon for this is b/c if u take it for pass/np, the AdCom cannot accurately assess your skills and level of performance in the class (this is what UCSF said); they can only assume you did the bare minimum and got a C+ (or whatever the bare minimum passing grade is). However, as I mentioned in the original post, taking it pass/np works only once u've been admitted on selected courses. and i think it sometimes work after u've been admitted b/c they've seen that u are clearly smart and can do the work (hence the acceptance). but this only works for selected courses, most likely the non-science ones where if you barely pass one, it isn't precisely indicative that you will not do well in pharm school (hence, trying to do this for physiology is not good ;). in my situation, if you look at my transcript, i've excelled in all the bios and chems and stuff, physics just isn't my thing no matter how hard i try (and believe me, i gave it my all). and not excelling in physics isn't indicative of my strength in bio/chem (more related to pharm). all in all, they just want to make sure they admit ppl who can get the work done and aren't lazy. does this make sense?

as for the latter part of your question, it will probably depend on your school and u would have to call to find out (or write an email), if you fail a prerequisite (like get a non-acceptable passing grade), you have till the first day of pharm school to make it up (I know for sure this is how USC does it b/c I had inquired Jim Granderson about this with regard to my physics situation).

Hope this ease some concerns.

Best of luck!

If you are accepted without finishing all of your pre-reqs, it is a CONDITIONAL acceptance, meaning you will be accepted on the condition that you complete your pre-reqs with a successful grade. At my school, there is no "pass/no pass" option. I had one pre-req to take after I was accepted...analytical chemistry. It was a tough class with an even tougher professor. We all had to get a C or better in it to be able to to start pharm school. It's all good and fine you were able to find a loophole, but just don't go getting to used to perks like that...there will be no "Pass/no-pass" option in pharmacy school...except for your clinical rotations. Honestly, if you had good enough grades to get into pharm school, it seems weird that you'd be afraid of not getting at least a C in a pre-req course to the point you'd have to use a pass/fail system.

And by the way, since when is physics not considered a science class????! Enlighten me.

OSURxgirl said:
And by the way, since when is physics not considered a science class????! Enlighten me.

*shrug* that's what I was told by a couple of the pharmacy schools.

OSURxgirl said:
there will be no "Pass/no-pass" option in pharmacy school

surprisingly, UCSD Pharm School works exactly like med school in that no letter grades (A, B, C, D, F) will be given. Only pass, no pass, honors, satisfactory, and some other weird system. Don't know how a lack of GPA will work in terms of getting a residency. This is kind of strange as almost all the pharmacy schools I know give letter grades. Anybody know of other schools that are on only a pass/np system?

My school (USN).

Eeew, electricity and magnetism. I wish WVU would let us do that... I'd love to get a C- in his class, just to spite him. Exactly a 70.0 :D My teacher is crazy... he's always screaming at us about cheating, and how we're all pre-health science so integrity is important, and he'll have us thrown out of the university if we cheat... my favourite was when he screamed "DO NOT CROSS ME!" Last time he did it was in the middle of an exam.

I've got a theory that he was rejected from med or maybe pharm school (he's always applying the physics to something dealing with medicine or pharmacy... he's got a lot more knowledge about that stuff than the average physics professor would) and now he's bitter about it and hates all pre-health sciences (here, that's med/pharm/nursing/med tech I believe) students.

ANYWAYS. Good work getting away from physics ;)

Be sure to get whoever said that was allowed in writing.

yeah i withdrew from my biochem class and a physics lab this semester with a W, knowing that they won't transfer. I called the school beforehand though and made absolutely sure that it wont affect my acceptance position.

i dont know about you guys but only 7 credits out of my current 11.5 are transferring (Calc II and American Government) .. it sucks but at the same time i'm happy cuz im able to work full-time and get rid of my credit card debts before pharm school lol, hav fun and not stress much about school for a good half of a semester :D

Just a word of caution, Sometime for a pass/fail course the minimum grade to pass may be higher. At my former school, i dont remember if the school set the minimum or the teacher, but it could be an 80. So just clarify with the teacher/school before you think a 70 will be ok to pass.

dontworry said:
Just a word of caution, Sometime for a pass/fail course the minimum grade to pass may be higher. At my former school, i dont remember if the school set the minimum or the teacher, but it could be an 80. So just clarify with the teacher/school before you think a 70 will be ok to pass.

thanks for the advice, but I already did. :) (that sucks about your former school)