Helpful Tips for PCAT that i found useful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC621

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just took the PCAT about a week ago and wanted to help those who are stressing out about it
my scores were
VERBAL:82
Biology:97
RC:49
QA:98
Chemistry:97
Comp:96

I only used Dr. Collins and literally studied 10 days prior to the test cause i had all my other tests i had to worry about cause I'm still taking classes in college. My biggest advice is to master the Collins tests. Don't just say "i went over it", cause that's not enough. I did "ALL" the practice tests for Bio at least twice. Math and Chem, I only had time to do tests once and and redid questions i got wrong a second time. Collins covers the verbal pretty well, but still on the PCAT there were definitely a lot of hard words. I didn't study for RC... i mean your reading skills won't increase overnight(funny post i read a while a back: best way to study for RC is read lord of the rings trilogy). All in all, as long as you study Collins test at least twice you "should" be able to get at least 50th%. Another pro tip, Do all the easy questions first!!! When i was taking the practice exams I did time myself, but on the PCAT, its the actual exam so you tend to lose track of time because you want the right answers for every questions. Remember you will score higher then the person in the computer next to you if you answer more questions right than he does(Questions are not curved too points, each question is the same amount of points). So example for math i skipped all the long wordy problems and did all the ones i felt were easier. When i ran out of time for math i still had like 7 questions i didn't answer(so i guessed on them), but i still could say confidently that i got at least 30 of the easier ones right. These are just a few things i found useful. Feel free to ask any questions!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Another Tip: If your nearing test day, get off studentdoctor forums. Reading other people stressing about the exam won't make you feel any better about it yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank You SO MUCH! will keep u posted once i get score! bye <3

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
good luck! that right,i like it very much,thanks
1jY6yOa

Hey guys just took the PCAT about a week ago and wanted to help those who are stressing out about it
my scores were
VERBAL:82
Biology:97
RC:49
QA:98
Chemistry:97
Comp:96

I only used Dr. Collins and literally studied 10 days prior to the test cause i had all my other tests i had to worry about cause I'm still taking classes in college. My biggest advice is to master the Collins tests. Don't just say "i went over it", cause that's not enough. I did "ALL" the practice tests for Bio at least twice. Math and Chem, I only had time to do tests once and and redid questions i got wrong a second time. Collins covers the verbal pretty well, but still on the PCAT there were definitely a lot of hard words. I didn't study for RC... i mean your reading skills won't increase overnight(funny post i read a while a back: best way to study for RC is read lord of the rings trilogy). All in all, as long as you study Collins test at least twice you "should" be able to get at least 50th%. Another pro tip, Do all the easy questions first!!! When i was taking the practice exams I did time myself, but on the PCAT, its the actual exam so you tend to lose track of time because you want the right answers for every questions. Remember you will score higher then the person in the computer next to you if you answer more questions right than he does(Questions are not curved too points, each question is the same amount of points). So example for math i skipped all the long wordy problems and did all the ones i felt were easier. When i ran out of time for math i still had like 7 questions i didn't answer(so i guessed on them), but i still could say confidently that i got at least 30 of the easier ones right. These are just a few things i found useful. Feel free to ask any questions!:)

Hi, did you just read the study guides or mainly focus on the practice exams?

Hi, did you just read the study guides or mainly focus on the practice exams?
I was only able to go through the chem study guides once, but definitely they are helpful. I read the bio study guide at least 3 times just to make sure the information soaked. I did all biology, chemistry, math, and verbal exams at least once and just ignored the reading exams.

I was only able to go through the chem study guides once, but definitely they are helpful. I read the bio study guide at least 3 times just to make sure the information soaked. I did all biology, chemistry, math, and verbal exams at least once and just ignored the reading exams.

How many hours were you able to study per day? I have gone through the bio study guide thus far.

How many hours were you able to study per day? I have gone through the bio study guide thus far.
Lets just put it this way, I had 10 days to study for the exam. In those 10 days I probably spent a good 2-3 hours per day for the first 8 days, but on the last 2 days I sat down all day and crammed.

ditto on Dr. Collins. Chem practice problems. Most of the 90ish scores have been products of Dr. Collins. I scored in upper 70's via Kaplan....to be safe. Kind of regret. also, don't drink too much water during the break....I had to pee during the math!

Bumping this thread since there is are PCAT dates approaching. I scored a 96 with 1 week of studying and probably so can the rest of you. To be completely honest, you're doing yourself a disservice for not studying with the Dr. Collins. Personally I think the PCAT needs to be rewritten to prevent study material such as Dr. Collins from being used. It doesn't get any easier than having Collins because literally you might see the same questions on the test as the practice. Obviously, I can't have my way, but if you're not using Collins and complaining that the PCAT is hard... I have no other words for you.

Bumping this thread since there is are PCAT dates approaching. I scored a 96 with 1 week of studying and probably so can the rest of you. To be completely honest, you're doing yourself a disservice for not studying with the Dr. Collins. Personally I think the PCAT needs to be rewritten to prevent study material such as Dr. Collins from being used. It doesn't get any easier than having Collins because literally you might see the same questions on the test as the practice. Obviously, I can't have my way, but if you're not using Collins and complaining that the PCAT is hard... I have no other words for you.
May be its true for Chem and somewhat for bio. But for quant real PCAT was no way near Dr.collins guide.. I just took my PCAT today.

did u do all the chem prac tests? i dont know how u did so well in chem with just one review, 2nd review quest u did wrong. i know u had other class test. u must have a high chem/bio gpa so u wer able do chem bio fast?

just got my dr.C in the mail. Im planning to study for a week and then take Pearson practice exam ##2. We will see after that

just got my dr.C in the mail. Im planning to study for a week and then take Pearson practice exam ##2. We will see after that
Study the notes, then do the tests with the notes, then do the tests alone, then do the pearson exams. You have a lot of time just stick to a plan and don't distract yourself.

Do the study guide.(yes there long just stick through it the information will come in handy) Then do the tests MULTIPLE times. I swear to you will see some questions word for word on the exam, and if you don't the concept is literally the same and the way the question is worded is the same, obviously substitute some numbers. I can't stress enough how important it is to do test samples multiple times.

I dont know know if I need to read chem study guide from the beginning, Im pretty good with concepts( well most of them)? Or should I just go through the tests until I fly through them?