I got a 256 on Step 1, 269 on Step 2 CK, and matched at Stanford. Ask me anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolGurus

USMLE Tutor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! SDN was super helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd do an AMA here.

Ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
General surgery
Based on your question I'm assuming you're a non-US IMG. It's hard to "make sure" that you're considered. Some programs simply may not consider non-US IMGs. If you have a particular program of interest, it certainly helps to have clinical experience or research experience in your department of interest. However, on one of my away rotations, I remember seeing a non-US IMG student attend morning conference every day. I was surprised because I was under the impression that it's nearly impossible to match rad onc as a non-US IMG (exceptions I know of: a guy from Canada who trained at Princess Margaret Hospital, and a guy from India who already completed rad onc training in India). I asked the program director of what she was doing would help her application and he said it would be nearly impossible for her to match despite what she was doing. General surgery is more open to IMGs than rad onc for sure, but there may be programs that will simply not look at your application because of the abundance of extremely well qualified US allopathic senior applicants, even if you do research or clinical experiences.

General surgery

From actually talking to IMGs who are now residents at MGH whom I've worked with, having an in with the program (doing research with someone there) as well as clinical observerships or away rotations in the U.S. (ideally in that program) are extremely helpful. Generally, we advise shooting for at least 250+ for IMGs aiming for Gen Surg. Your Step 1 score becomes far more important (in the realm of Gen Surg) as an IMG, but you DEFINITELY can match in the U.S. in Gen Surg if you are an "elite" IMG. You should look directly are programs' websites for what their requirements are in terms of clinical experience, as they are variable.

Hello!

Is Secrets a good book for Step 2CK?
(i'm an IMG planning to use it along with UWORLD & OnlineMedEd videos)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Is Secrets a good book for Step 2CK?
(i'm an IMG planning to use it along with UWORLD & OnlineMedEd videos)

Thank you

I've tutored tons of students, and I do not know anyone who used Secrets for Step 2CK. I think Secrets for Step 1 is a good resource but have not fully evaluated Step 2CK Secrets. Certainly, UW and OME are excellent resources for CK. I'd recommend incorporating daily use of Anki over use of Secrets, especially if your time is limited. Feel free to message me directly with further questions. Hope this helps!

Hello, what’s your opinion on the practice questions from the BRS books? I see you recommend the lippincott q&a books, but I’m finding the BRS ones to be quite representative of the content on my in-house exams and the NBME subject exams my school has us take. I’m about a year away from preparing for Step 1, so just appreciate any general feedback you might have so I’m more prepared when the day comes to start dedicated studying. Thanks!!

Hello, what’s your opinion on the practice questions from the BRS books? I see you recommend the lippincott q&a books, but I’m finding the BRS ones to be quite representative of the content on my in-house exams and the NBME subject exams my school has us take. I’m about a year away from preparing for Step 1, so just appreciate any general feedback you might have so I’m more prepared when the day comes to start dedicated studying. Thanks!!

Hey! It depends on what your goals are. I'm assuming your goal is ultimately for USMLE review but please correct me if I'm wrong. I found the BRS anatomy book to be quite off base for USMLE review and wouldn't recommend it. The review questions in BRS physiology by Costanzo are a good supplement to physiology review especially during MS1-2 and may in certain cases be helpful for physiology review during dedicated. I have not used any other BRS book and generally have not heard of others being recommended by students or other tutors at my company. Hope this helps!

Hi all! SDN was super helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd do an AMA here.

Ask me anything!

Congrats! What specialty did you match into? And outside of Step scores what other things do you think helped? I know certain "requirements" are specialty-specific

Hi!
I am IMG, graduated from Medical School in 2014, currently doing Residency in Biochemistry in my home country. (Since July 2018)
I wish to apply for Pathology Residency in US. To follow the path, I've received the ECFMG Certification, with Step 1 score 256, step 2 CK 251, PASS in CS. I plan to give Step 3 by May 2019, do 3-4 months Observerships in Pathology for good LORs'. So far I don't have any USCE.
Can anyone help me understand whats the best way to approach to get a Observership in Pathology?

Thank you for reading this. Any little input can be valuable to me.

Hi medschoolgurus,

Thanks again for your help to us fellow students. I am getting ready for step 2, I read your outlines. When should I start the nbme, any recommendations on the anki decks wiwa, dope, dock. I am using zanki right now and making my own cards for stuff from ome or uworld.

Also, do you recommend reading Master the board, step up 2 medicine, or first aid?
Lastly, when should I begin nbme practice tests?

P.S. what field of specialty are you going for?

TIA!

Hi!
I am IMG, graduated from Medical School in 2014, currently doing Residency in Biochemistry in my home country. (Since July 2018)
I wish to apply for Pathology Residency in US. To follow the path, I've received the ECFMG Certification, with Step 1 score 256, step 2 CK 251, PASS in CS. I plan to give Step 3 by May 2019, do 3-4 months Observerships in Pathology for good LORs'. So far I don't have any USCE.
Can anyone help me understand whats the best way to approach to get a Observership in Pathology?

Thank you for reading this. Any little input can be valuable to me.

What's a residency in biochemistry?

I am in the middle of studying for my pediatrics shelf, besides uworld, Med ed and NBMES, any other advice? What are your thoughts on STEP 2 Zanki?

"I personally do not think one can start studying "too early" for the exam. Others will disagree with me on this and encourage you to enjoy yourself before your 2-3 month dedicated study period begins. However, students start their dedicated study period with a different baselines of knowledge and then learn at different rates. I therefore think it is most prudent to begin studying as early as reasonably possible. I think you will have to use your own judgement or meet with someone who can assess your baseline in order to determine when it is reasonable for you to dedicate time each day to USMLE study."

I'm post match and decided to take a look to see what I can learn (still have Step 3 etc.).

This is so critical what was said here. Everyone has a different baseline, so early for someone may be too late for others. Try to figure out your baseline early.

Hello, I’m an old IMG, I finished my graduation in 2007. After that I did my post graduation in pathology, worked for 6 years and now doing a fellowship in cytogenetics which will end in 2020. I’ve started preparing for usmle, and would finish step 1 and 2 by 2021. That would make it 14 years since my graduation. I want to know what my chances are of getting a residency in universities like Stanford or UCSF, is it even possible?

Reactions: 1 user