I got a 281 on Step 2 CK, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMLE_Pro

Founder of USMLE Pro
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been giving a lot of advice to people on the Reddit thread R/Step2, and SDN has been really helpful to me in the past so I figured I'd post here as well.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi-

I am thinking about taking a Kaplan in person Step 2 prep course here in NYC- I have a lot of extra time left and my Step 1 score is low so I really want to score as high as possible with Step 2. Do you think taking the Kaplan course is a good idea? vs. just using Uworld- I could still use Uworld during the Kaplan course. I have about 2 months to prepare and the in person course may be a little more active than just studying on my own.

Any thoughts would help!

I do not think the in-person Kaplan courses are worthwhile. I have very frequently interviewed former Kaplan instructors for tutoring positions, and I have never ever hired one. They are resting on a big name and taking a lot of your money for non-personalized courses. There are many options for doing something more active than just studying on your own, but I don't think Kaplan is the way to go.

Hello!

Is Secrets a good book for Step 2CK?
(i'm an IMG planning to use it along with UWORLD & OnlineMedEd videos)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recommend that book, no. The only "book" you need is the UW explanations. In general, books are a poor resource as reading is one of the most passive ways to study. Videos lead to better retention than reading, but are still inferior to practice questions and spaced repetition resources like flashcards. Good luck!

I don't recommend that book, no. The only "book" you need is the UW explanations. In general, books are a poor resource as reading is one of the most passive ways to study. Videos lead to better retention than reading, but are still inferior to practice questions and spaced repetition resources like flashcards. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply! I noticed that many people use this method to prepare Step 2 CK, What i'm confused about is the order in which we should use those resources on the first read; do you recommend doing watching videos before going through UWorld & Flashcards?

Thank you for your reply! I noticed that many people use this method to prepare Step 2 CK, What i'm confused about is the order in which we should use those resources on the first read; do you recommend doing watching videos before going through UWorld & Flashcards?

There's no need to wait to do questions. I used OME as a supplement for weak areas and didn't watch all the videos. I suggest making your own cards based on incorrects rather than using a premade deck.

Hey USMLE-Pro. How did you go about reading the questions in CK. Did you read the last line first or from start to finish?
Finishing the block in time is a big problem for me. Any advice would be helpful.

Hey USMLE-Pro. How did you go about reading the questions in CK. Did you read the last line first or from start to finish?
Finishing the block in time is a big problem for me. Any advice would be helpful.

I always read from start to finish, but I scan the question very quickly, and then go back to details based on the question and answer choices. Unfortunately, running out of time can happen for lots of different reasons. Most people will improve with practice (random, timed blocks), but the root cause is different for each person. Feel free to PM me more info on your specific situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, any suggestions for reference material other than UW or OME for those who did poorly on step 1?
I'm trying to decide between Step up to step2CK vs master the boards vs first aid for step 2ck...
I think I may need an actual reading source to fill in my weakness from step 1 and also mediocre shelf exam scores..
Or do you still recommend just sticking with only UW for someone like me who may need to brush up on basics?
thanks

Hi, any suggestions for reference material other than UW or OME for those who did poorly on step 1?
I'm trying to decide between Step up to step2CK vs master the boards vs first aid for step 2ck...
I think I may need an actual reading source to fill in my weakness from step 1 and also mediocre shelf exam scores..
Or do you still recommend just sticking with only UW for someone like me who may need to brush up on basics?
thanks

I actively don't recommend First Aid for Step 2 CK. Sometimes (fairly rarely) I actually use First Aid for Step 1 with students who did poorly on Step 1 and are shooting for a much higher CK score (helps fill in some fundamental gaps). I think OME is much better way to lay a content foundation than any book resource--long-term retention is particularly poor with reading (you'll forget >90% of what you just read in only 2 weeks). Consider the UW explanations as your text. One big mistake people make is not reviewing the NBMEs in depth--do all of them and review, review, review!

I actively don't recommend First Aid for Step 2 CK. Sometimes (fairly rarely) I actually use First Aid for Step 1 with students who did poorly on Step 1 and are shooting for a much higher CK score (helps fill in some fundamental gaps). I think OME is much better way to lay a content foundation than any book resource--long-term retention is particularly poor with reading (you'll forget >90% of what you just read in only 2 weeks). Consider the UW explanations as your text. One big mistake people make is not reviewing the NBMEs in depth--do all of them and review, review, review!

Thanks! What is your strategy in reviewing uworld/nbme? I have been making anki cards but I did not have enough time to actually review them before my shelf exams. Im not sure if I am actually reviewig each question properly. Do you just review to understand why you got the question wrong? Or do you recommend reviewing the whole topic that is related to the question?
Also, I was not able to do all of the nbmes for my IM shelf exam. Do you think doing them will be helpful for step 2ck?
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I hope to ask your thoughts on timing of taking CK.

For reference I scored a 263 on Step 1 and have been getting between 99th-100th percentile on my 5 shelves so far (OBGyn/Surgery/Family/Neuro/IM which I took 10 days ago). I have 12 weeks of clinical electives (no exams required) followed by 10 days of spring break coming up and was considering taking CK at the end of this, however I will not have taken Peds & Psych yet so would need to self study those topics while reviewing the rest. I think I could have ~15-20 hours a week for study time prior to spring break. My big concern with this is underestimating Step 2 and hurting myself prior to applications when I already have a Step 1 score that would set me up well for interviews.

Our school provides 4 weeks protected time for Step 2 which I could take September or October of MS4. My concern for this route is carrying all this info through till then when I'll be >6 months out of IM, however 4 weeks of studying solely for it I think would set me up pretty well and be potentially less stressful than trying to study for it while taking electives.

I did recently take UWSA1 and scored a 270 but it was difficult, I felt rushed for time, and not ready to take the exam so I don't know what to make of that score. I just wanted to get some thoughts on the feasibility of taking Step 2 without completing all rotations and with only 10 days off solely for studying prior to taking it? The extra month off Id get in 4th year by taking it early would be very nice but I don't mind waiting if its the better choice.

Thanks! What is your strategy in reviewing uworld/nbme? I have been making anki cards but I did not have enough time to actually review them before my shelf exams. Im not sure if I am actually reviewig each question properly. Do you just review to understand why you got the question wrong? Or do you recommend reviewing the whole topic that is related to the question?
Also, I was not able to do all of the nbmes for my IM shelf exam. Do you think doing them will be helpful for step 2ck?
Thanks again

Making Anki cards is appropriate for most students, but most students I work with really struggle to make good cards (and make good cards efficiently) on their own. You really need to focus on just the 1 or 2 facts you need to know to get a question right, you do not need to review the whole topic related to the question. Often, the reason you got a question wrong is an issue with application of knowledge, not just whether or not you knew something, so you need to also work to identify the systematic test-taking errors leading you to get questions wrong.

I suggest doing the Comprehensive Clinical Science Self Assessments (NBME 6, 7, and 8), but it's usually not necessary to go back and do the clinical mastery exams for shelf exams if you haven't done them already.

For reference I scored a 263 on Step 1 and have been getting between 99th-100th percentile on my 5 shelves so far (OBGyn/Surgery/Family/Neuro/IM which I took 10 days ago). I have 12 weeks of clinical electives (no exams required) followed by 10 days of spring break coming up and was considering taking CK at the end of this, however I will not have taken Peds & Psych yet so would need to self study those topics while reviewing the rest. I think I could have ~15-20 hours a week for study time prior to spring break. My big concern with this is underestimating Step 2 and hurting myself prior to applications when I already have a Step 1 score that would set me up well for interviews.

Our school provides 4 weeks protected time for Step 2 which I could take September or October of MS4. My concern for this route is carrying all this info through till then when I'll be >6 months out of IM, however 4 weeks of studying solely for it I think would set me up pretty well and be potentially less stressful than trying to study for it while taking electives.

I did recently take UWSA1 and scored a 270 but it was difficult, I felt rushed for time, and not ready to take the exam so I don't know what to make of that score. I just wanted to get some thoughts on the feasibility of taking Step 2 without completing all rotations and with only 10 days off solely for studying prior to taking it? The extra month off Id get in 4th year by taking it early would be very nice but I don't mind waiting if its the better choice.

UWSA considerably overestimates many people scores, so you're more in the 260 range at the moment, and you should be aiming for 270+ given your Step 1 score. Peds and psych are some of the easiest topics for most students, so you could try to study for those during your other electives (online med ed would be a good way to lay a foundation for those topics, in addition to UW). I think the best plan is to try to prepare to take it early, but only take the exam if you're scoring high 270s on UWSAs and high 260s or low 270s (if not, delay til you get dedicated time, study more, and take it then). Please be sure to do all the Step 2 NBMEs and review them very thoroughly in either case.

What did you end up deciding on? Hope CK went well if you already took it!

hello
i am an img who did poorly on recently taken step 1 exam. my two options are either give up the idea or try my best on step 2 ck and see what happens from there. i am willing to do everything it takes to get a high score on step 2 ck. i believe i have been negligent in my studying ways or test taking ability and i atone that for my poor score in step 1. however i was a good student at med school and always aced all my exams. i believe i didn't place importance on nmbes for step 1 at all and there in lies my mistake. any advice for me on how i should proceed with my prep for step 2 ck? i am thankful for your guidance.

hello
i am an img who did poorly on recently taken step 1 exam. my two options are either give up the idea or try my best on step 2 ck and see what happens from there. i am willing to do everything it takes to get a high score on step 2 ck. i believe i have been negligent in my studying ways or test taking ability and i atone that for my poor score in step 1. however i was a good student at med school and always aced all my exams. i believe i didn't place importance on nmbes for step 1 at all and there in lies my mistake. any advice for me on how i should proceed with my prep for step 2 ck? i am thankful for your guidance.

I responded to your PM! Will need to know more info to advise you on how to do well on CK in this situation. It's unclear why you struggled with Step 1 from this info. In general, this sounds like a very difficult time and you may want to consider talking to someone to help you process your feelings and cope with any anxiety you may have around this situation.

Thanks!

I read UpToDate all the time to learn about my patients (I have the app on my phone and currently have 792 CME credits haha). The only review books I used were Pastana's on surgery and FA for Psych on psychiatry. I used OnlineMedEd videos, particularly for IM. Reading alone results in very poor retention, so I try to avoid it.
Was this First Aid for Step 1 or Step 2 CK that you used for Psychiatry??

Thanks!

I read UpToDate all the time to learn about my patients (I have the app on my phone and currently have 792 CME credits haha). The only review books I used were Pastana's on surgery and FA for Psych on psychiatry. I used OnlineMedEd videos, particularly for IM. Reading alone results in very poor retention, so I try to avoid it.

I guess you mean “FA for psychiatry clerkship”, the book?

Did you find pestana’s surgery and this FA psych book helpful? Was the content in both of these relevant for step 2 CK?

Thanks in advance!

I guess you mean “FA for psychiatry clerkship”, the book?

Did you find pestana’s surgery and this FA psych book helpful? Was the content in both of these relevant for step 2 CK?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it was First Aid for the psychiatry clerkship! I found both of these books helpful for the shelf exams but didn't return to them to prepare for CK (which I took more than a year after reading these books). For my students now I usually still recommend these books to supplement some weak spots in OnlineMedEd, but otherwise, I really like OME for building up a knowledge foundation, in addition to learning from UW. Hope this helps!

Hi!

I have about 6 weeks to study for Step 2CK. I have only been doing OMed and Amboss questions throughout my rotations, and so have reserved Uworld until dedicated time. Besides doing Uworld, do you have any other suggestions / strategies I should supplement with?

I am in the middle of studying for my pediatrics shelf, besides uworld, Med ed and NBMES, any other advice? What are your thoughts on STEP 2 Zanki?

I am 4 months from step 2 CK and just finished my first pass on UWorld at 68%. Any advice on what to do for studying from now till test day? Hoping to score 260+, scored 260 on step 1.

Hi!

I have about 6 weeks to study for Step 2CK. I have only been doing OMed and Amboss questions throughout my rotations, and so have reserved Uworld until dedicated time. Besides doing Uworld, do you have any other suggestions / strategies I should supplement with?

Do all the NBME practice tests (the comprehensive clinical science self-assessments, or CCSSAs) and review them very thoroughly! I find it is preferable to do UW twice over other QBanks, there is no reason to "reserve" UWorld. I have yet to see another QBank of sufficient quality that I recommend it in addition to UW for Step 2 CK.

I am in the middle of studying for my pediatrics shelf, besides uworld, Med ed and NBMES, any other advice? What are your thoughts on STEP 2 Zanki?

I do not find Step 2 Zanki to be necessary! You may want to make flashcards based on your UW incorrects to help you retain the information. You can also try creating a spreadsheet to keep track of why you are getting questions wrong to try to better isolate the problem (it is usually not just a content issue). Good luck!

I am 4 months from step 2 CK and just finished my first pass on UWorld at 68%. Any advice on what to do for studying from now till test day? Hoping to score 260+, scored 260 on step 1.

The key resources you need are UWorld, UWSAs, NBME CCSSAs, and OME free videos as needed to supplement your weak content areas. More informative in giving more advice is your Step 1 score--how did you do on that?

The key resources you need are UWorld, UWSAs, NBME CCSSAs, and OME free videos as needed to supplement your weak content areas. More informative in giving more advice is your Step 1 score--how did you do on that?

Score of 260 on Step 1. Was planning to use UWorld for a 2nd pass, UWSAs, and CCSSAs.

Score of 260 on Step 1. Was planning to use UWorld for a 2nd pass, UWSAs, and CCSSAs.

Congratulations on the awesome Step 1 score! I know you're probably feeling a lot of pressure to get a Step 2 CK score 10 points higher than that ( I felt the same way myself!). You should be fine sticking to those core resources. For someone in your position, I would recommend very closely reviewing the CCSSAs. If you find your UWSA scores to be much higher than your CCSSAs, it may mean you need to work on improving test-taking skills (it's easier to do extremely well on Step 1 by over-learning content than it is on CK--ultra-high CK scores seem to require better test-taking skills and clinical reasoning, beyond memorization, although very good test-taking skills are still required for a Step 1 score like yours). Good luck!

Congratulations on the awesome Step 1 score! I know you're probably feeling a lot of pressure to get a Step 2 CK score 10 points higher than that ( I felt the same way myself!). You should be fine sticking to those core resources. For someone in your position, I would recommend very closely reviewing the CCSSAs. If you find your UWSA scores to be much higher than your CCSSAs, it may mean you need to work on improving test-taking skills (it's easier to do extremely well on Step 1 by over-learning content than it is on CK--ultra-high CK scores seem to require better test-taking skills and clinical reasoning, beyond memorization, although very good test-taking skills are still required for a Step 1 score like yours). Good luck!

What are your thoughts on the subject specific NBMEs (IM, Psych, etc.) are they worth the time or focus on UWorld and CCSSAs for questions?

Is it okay if i only use the uworld online notes to study and make my own flashcards to study

No, I wouldn't recommend using the UWorld online notes! You should do random, timed blocks under test-like conditions. The NBMEs (comprehensive clinical science self-assessments) are also important, and OnlineMedEd (the free videos) can be a helpful supplement as well. Good luck!

What are your thoughts on the subject specific NBMEs (IM, Psych, etc.) are they worth the time or focus on UWorld and CCSSAs for questions?

I think the ideal way to do the clinical mastery series is during your third year. Doing those exams was my main way to prep for each shelf, and I do think it put me in a much better position for Step 2 CK. However, for most students, I don't have them do the CMS forms just to prep for Step 2 CK, unless they have a lot of time or are particularly week in a certain area. For most students in a Step 2 CK dedicated period, UWorld, CCSSAs, and some OME videos as a supplement are usually sufficient. Hope this helps!

Hello,

My school has a non-traditional schedule (do clerkships first, then Step 1, then sub-i's as you please and somehow fit Step 2 in there). I didn't do the best on Step 1 (score 222) partly because the residency I was interested in told me that they don't really consider the Step 1 score as a major sway in their decision-making--that they have prioritized people with Step 1 score 206 higher than someone with a 270 depending on the rest of the application. I also made the mistake of taking a in-person half Step 1 mock test, which does not give you an analysis of your weaknesses or a scaled score. I found out just 2 weeks before my real test that my Step 1 practice exam scores weren't up to par and unfortunately our school strongly discourages delaying the test so I was unprepared and felt forced to take it regardless. Also due to the non-traditional scheduling--my clerkship experience and NBMEs were done at least half a year ago and more.

My question is...I plan to fit in all my sub-i's (I'm trying for a combined program, so I really am not wanting to officially take any "vacation time" if I can help it) and wanted to know if I did some easier sub-i's or electives, what your advice would be to help keep the retention of facts strong despite having only perhaps 5 hours to study (if I'm lucky) on weekdays and the usual 10 hours on weekends. I plan to start 2 months before my test date and just make sure to hit my own Anki cards aggressively. What are some considerations when deciding when to do the CCSSAs and Step 2 CK practice exams? Would 2 months be enough, or should it even be lengthened to 3?

Any insights are much appreciated!

Hello,

My school has a non-traditional schedule (do clerkships first, then Step 1, then sub-i's as you please and somehow fit Step 2 in there). I didn't do the best on Step 1 (score 222) partly because the residency I was interested in told me that they don't really consider the Step 1 score as a major sway in their decision-making--that they have prioritized people with Step 1 score 206 higher than someone with a 270 depending on the rest of the application. I also made the mistake of taking a in-person half Step 1 mock test, which does not give you an analysis of your weaknesses or a scaled score. I found out just 2 weeks before my real test that my Step 1 practice exam scores weren't up to par and unfortunately our school strongly discourages delaying the test so I was unprepared and felt forced to take it regardless. Also due to the non-traditional scheduling--my clerkship experience and NBMEs were done at least half a year ago and more.

My question is...I plan to fit in all my sub-i's (I'm trying for a combined program, so I really am not wanting to officially take any "vacation time" if I can help it) and wanted to know if I did some easier sub-i's or electives, what your advice would be to help keep the retention of facts strong despite having only perhaps 5 hours to study (if I'm lucky) on weekdays and the usual 10 hours on weekends. I plan to start 2 months before my test date and just make sure to hit my own Anki cards aggressively. What are some considerations when deciding when to do the CCSSAs and Step 2 CK practice exams? Would 2 months be enough, or should it even be lengthened to 3?

Any insights are much appreciated!

In my experience, it is usually much better to study full-time over a shorter period of time than to study part-time over a longer period of time part-time. Also, I think you really should have some vacation time between clinical blocks. Students very often underestimate their susceptibility to burn out during this time period, and I'd strongly recommend taking some kind of vacation block or research block. If you are going to study over a long period of time, you definitely want to use Anki. I think OME videos can also be nice way to study during rotations as they are very light. CCSSA scheduling I do fairly differently for different students but you should try to take NBME 6 at least a month before to establish a baseline. Good luck!

Hi, I would appreciate any advice you have. I currently just finished up my third year on internal medicine. My test is set for May 17th. I've already gone through uworld once and just reset it a few days ago. I got 80% on my first pass. My original plan was to go through it again, skim through the Emma Holliday reviews as I tackle subject by subject, and sprinkle in anki cards in the middle of all that. I was going to take NBME 6-7-8 then SA 1-2 + free 120 and call it a day.

I just did NBME 6 a couple days ago and was pretty surprised that I got a 271. I'm not sure if that's a fluke or not. I have been studying all year though and have been doing well on shelves. I'm also finding that I'm flying through the second pass of Uworld (maybe b/c i remember the questions?).

Does this plan seem fairly reasonable? Thanks!

Hi, I would appreciate any advice you have. I currently just finished up my third year on internal medicine. My test is set for May 17th. I've already gone through uworld once and just reset it a few days ago. I got 80% on my first pass. My original plan was to go through it again, skim through the Emma Holliday reviews as I tackle subject by subject, and sprinkle in anki cards in the middle of all that. I was going to take NBME 6-7-8 then SA 1-2 + free 120 and call it a day.

I just did NBME 6 a couple days ago and was pretty surprised that I got a 271. I'm not sure if that's a fluke or not. I have been studying all year though and have been doing well on shelves. I'm also finding that I'm flying through the second pass of Uworld (maybe b/c i remember the questions?).

Does this plan seem fairly reasonable? Thanks!

That's a fantastic NBME 6 score, congrats! Your plan sounds reasonable. If you're aiming for a very high score, you may want to add in some OME free videos for any subjects you're really struggling on. However, you sound like you're set up for success, and can probably just focus mainly on practice tests at this point. Depending on your goal score, you may even want to move your test date up!

That's a fantastic NBME 6 score, congrats! Your plan sounds reasonable. If you're aiming for a very high score, you may want to add in some OME free videos for any subjects you're really struggling on. However, you sound like you're set up for success, and can probably just focus mainly on practice tests at this point. Depending on your goal score, you may even want to move your test date up!
Thanks! Have you ever checked out these videos on youtube based on the "usmle step 2 secrets" book? Just found it... may watch them at night.

Thanks! Have you ever checked out these videos on youtube based on the "usmle step 2 secrets" book? Just found it... may watch them at night.

Don't overload yourself with resources! I see no reason for you to use these. I would focus on the NBMEs and UWSAs, and complete as much of a second pass of UW as you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, do you recommend using any books to supplement? Was wondering if I should plan on buying FA for step 2 or just reference FA step 1 when necessary. Thanks!

Don't overload yourself with resources! I see no reason for you to use these. I would focus on the NBMEs and UWSAs, and complete as much of a second pass of UW as you can.
I just took NBME 7 and WOW it was a lot harder than NBME 6. I now know I need to review Ob-gyn, lol.

I got a 254, so a big drop from NBME 6. Does NBME 7 typically underpredict in your experience?

Hello, do you recommend using any books to supplement? Was wondering if I should plan on buying FA for step 2 or just reference FA step 1 when necessary. Thanks!

I recommend only referencing FA for Step 1 occasionally, and I don't use or have my students use FA for Step 2 CK. The only pure "content" resource I have people use are the free OME videos as needed. Hope this helps and good luck!

I just took NBME 7 and WOW it was a lot harder than NBME 6. I now know I need to review Ob-gyn, lol.

I got a 254, so a big drop from NBME 6. Does NBME 7 typically underpredict in your experience?

Hm interesting, it may have to do with a particular content area weakness. I find NBME 8 to underpredict the most. I would try going through your incorrects and see if you can find a pattern of systematic test-taking weakness or knowledge gaps. The scores can be pretty variable when you are at the high end of the curve, but that is a large drop.

I recommend only referencing FA for Step 1 occasionally, and I don't use or have my students use FA for Step 2 CK. The only pure "content" resource I have people use are the free OME videos as needed. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much!

Couldn't hurt to listen to these while driving...if you really want to. FYI this book is also read out in a Podcast of the same name

Do you suggest doing UWSAs or NBME CCSSAs first?

Would you suggest

UW1
NBME6
NBME7
UW2
NBME8

In that order?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.