I got a 281 on Step 2 CK, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMLE_Pro

Founder of USMLE Pro
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been giving a lot of advice to people on the Reddit thread R/Step2, and SDN has been really helpful to me in the past so I figured I'd post here as well.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Couldn't hurt to listen to these while driving...if you really want to. FYI this book is also read out in a Podcast of the same name

This is a big mistake I see students making in general... thinking that it can't hurt to use sub-par resources. I understand the temptation to want to be able to study while driving, but you have to realize that you only have a certain amount of mental energy every day. Why not take the time while driving to listen to music you enjoy and take a little break, and spend your time studying with only the most effective resources? I would not have scored a 281 if I spent time on low-yield resources instead of taking strategic study breaks.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you suggest doing UWSAs or NBME CCSSAs first?

Would you suggest

UW1
NBME6
NBME7
UW2
NBME8

In that order?

Thank you.

Hi! I recommend something different for every student, but usually, I recommend NBME 6 first to establish a baseline. UWSA1 will very likely over-estimate your performance, which can be a dangerous thing when you first start studying. Take NBME 6, and you can PM me if you want more guidance on next steps from there!

I'm about 6 weeks out (4 weeks of rotations and then 2 weeks of dedicated) and have one run through Uworld completed (average mid 60s?). I'm working through 950 marked questions now.

What do you think is the best use of my time right now to break 250?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a big mistake I see students making in general... thinking that it can't hurt to use sub-par resources. I understand the temptation to want to be able to study while driving, but you have to realize that you only have a certain amount of mental energy every day. Why not take the time while driving to listen to music you enjoy and take a little break, and spend your time studying with only the most effective resources? I would not have scored a 281 if I spent time on low-yield resources instead of taking strategic study breaks.

Fair point!

I'm about 6 weeks out (4 weeks of rotations and then 2 weeks of dedicated) and have one run through Uworld completed (average mid 60s?). I'm working through 950 marked questions now.

What do you think is the best use of my time right now to break 250?
Thanks!!

My advice for you would depend on a lot of factors, but almost regardless I would actually take NBME 6 now to establish a baseline. How did Step 1 go for you?

My advice for you would depend on a lot of factors, but almost regardless I would actually take NBME 6 now to establish a baseline. How did Step 1 go for you?

Was thinking of taking NBME 6 two weeks before my exam, right when I finish rotations.

Is NBME 6 the more recent one? Or is it NBME 7?

Hey guys, I've been giving a lot of advice to people on the Reddit thread R/Step2, and SDN has been really helpful to me in the past so I figured I'd post here as well.

Feel free to ask me anything!
Hello,

Thank you so much for answering our questions. I am a currently a third year who is finishing my second last rotation on June 14th, then I have a 2 week break followed by my obgyn core rotation until July 26. I have two weeks after my obgyn rotation when I have it off and I am taking my step 2 on aug 7th. I have been doing uworld during 3rd year, and at the moment I have 700 questions left. I had a few questions regarding how to proceed further:
1) would it be beneficial to create a test for all the wrong questions on uworld vs going through the flashcards on uworld which has their tables.

2) Should I do the second pass on uworld by resetting only after addressing the wrong questions?

3) During my two week break, would it be a good strategy to a dedicate two full days for reading the step2ck book or watching OMED videos or DIT videos ? Is it best to use these resources when I get a question wrong instead of just reading them.

Hello,

Thank you so much for answering our questions. I am a currently a third year who is finishing my second last rotation on June 14th, then I have a 2 week break followed by my obgyn core rotation until July 26. I have two weeks after my obgyn rotation when I have it off and I am taking my step 2 on aug 7th. I have been doing uworld during 3rd year, and at the moment I have 700 questions left. I had a few questions regarding how to proceed further:
1) would it be beneficial to create a test for all the wrong questions on uworld vs going through the flashcards on uworld which has their tables.

2) Should I do the second pass on uworld by resetting only after addressing the wrong questions?

3) During my two week break, would it be a good strategy to a dedicate two full days for reading the step2ck book or watching OMED videos or DIT videos ? Is it best to use these resources when I get a question wrong instead of just reading them.

Thanks for reaching out! Replied to your PM as well.

1) I would not go through the UW flashcards at all, they don't use spaced repetition. I prefer doing 2 passes of UW to doing any specific incorrect block re-dos, and I instead focus on having students make Anki flashcards based on the UW incorrects.

2) No, I would do the second pass after you finish the first pass. Depending on your timing, you likely should do the Anki flashcard creation on your second pass incorrects (each student is a bit different in this regard, depends a lot on how much itme you have!).

3) No, do not read these books or do DIT. You can supplement your weakest areas (lowest UW subject percentiles) with some free OME videos on those topics.

Hope this helps!

Did you remember many questions after the exam that you got wrong? After a few days I've remembered about 10-15 that I'm pretty sure I missed. A couple were just really dumb mistakes but the rest were kind of 50/50 guesses. I did really well on all of my prep tests so I'm worried that I may have screwed it up on the real thing, but I may just be being to critical of myself and extrapolating that to the rest of the test.
Any input would be appreciated!

Did you remember many questions after the exam that you got wrong? After a few days I've remembered about 10-15 that I'm pretty sure I missed. A couple were just really dumb mistakes but the rest were kind of 50/50 guesses. I did really well on all of my prep tests so I'm worried that I may have screwed it up on the real thing, but I may just be being to critical of myself and extrapolating that to the rest of the test.
Any input would be appreciated!

I know this can be a really stressful time, but try your best to focus on other things! I definitely didn't feel I did well when I took the exam. I know it can be hard not to worry, but it's out of your hands now and if you did well on your prep tests hopefully the real thing went well also!

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate all the answers of USLME_Pro. I just did NBME 7 and I got 207. So disappointed. 3 weeks ago I got 207 from NBME 6. No improvement at all !!!. I already went through OME, MTB, UW x 1 and made my own Anki cards but I couldn't improve my score for Step 2 CK. I only have 4 weeks left. My goal is got 250 and above because my Step 1 score is pretty low. Do you have any advice? Can I send pm for you? Thanks in advance

Hi! I recommend something different for every student, but usually, I recommend NBME 6 first to establish a baseline. UWSA1 will very likely over-estimate your performance, which can be a dangerous thing when you first start studying. Take NBME 6, and you can PM me if you want more guidance on next steps from there!
I plan to take your advice and take NBME 6 to establish my baseline. I am an Osteopathic student, so I was planning to base my decision whether to take Step 2 CK or not, on the results of NBME 6. Is NBME 6 fairly representative of my abilities at this point or does it either over or under predict drastically?

Hi USMLE PRO, I got low 230s on step 1, my goal is to hit 260+ on step 2 ck, I have 4 months for CK, any advice, what are my chances of reaching that goal?

Thanks for the response! I score 234 on STEP 1. My goal is to pass. I’m using Uworld and OME Notes to study.

You're welcome! The only other thing I would recommend if your goal really is only to pass is to do the 3 NBME practice tests and review them closely (the Comprehensive Clinical Science Self Assessments, or CCSSAs). Good luck!

Appreciate all the answers of USLME_Pro. I just did NBME 7 and I got 207. So disappointed. 3 weeks ago I got 207 from NBME 6. No improvement at all !!!. I already went through OME, MTB, UW x 1 and made my own Anki cards but I couldn't improve my score for Step 2 CK. I only have 4 weeks left. My goal is got 250 and above because my Step 1 score is pretty low. Do you have any advice? Can I send pm for you? Thanks in advance

Thank for the kind words, and sorry to hear about your practice test scores! I would have to know more details about how you are studying and your history as a test-taker to make recommendations. Have worked with many people who are able to do much better on CK than Step 1, but you will likely have to make some major changes! PM me and we can set up a time to chat.

I plan to take your advice and take NBME 6 to establish my baseline. I am an Osteopathic student, so I was planning to base my decision whether to take Step 2 CK or not, on the results of NBME 6. Is NBME 6 fairly representative of my abilities at this point or does it either over or under predict drastically?

It depends! NBME 6 is a really helpful baseline, but more so to tell you what you need to work on and how far you have to go. Your ultimate score is not set in stone by that first practice test. I actually find the Step 1 score to be a more useful guide in terms of how much work someone needs to put in to get a certain CK score (or if CK is worth it for a DO student). If you took NBME 6 the day before your CK, I would say it tends to underpredict slightly, but that's not what you're using it for, so I wouldn't think about it in those terms. Feel free to PM me with more details and I can provide advice based on that!

Hi USMLE PRO, I got low 230s on step 1, my goal is to hit 260+ on step 2 ck, I have 4 months for CK, any advice, what are my chances of reaching that goal?

It's really difficult for anyone who scored a 230 on Step 1 to get 260+ on Step 2 CK, but it's definitely possible and I've seen it done! You need to examine why you scored a 230 on Step 1 and what you need to do differently in order to perform much better on CK. Depending on what you need to work on, 4 months could be enough, but it might not be. Most people in your situation need to significantly improve their test-taking skills (but I don't know the particulars of your situation). Feel free to PM me and I can share some articles with my advice on resources to use for CK, and we can also discuss your particular situation.

Hi USMLE Pro,

My exam is about 3 weeks from now. I listened to your advice and made my own flashcards on anki and it was so helpful. Now it's set at default setting. I want to be able to review everything i have within 3 weeks time. I have no idea how to adjust the anki settings. I have about 2000 cards. Any advice will be appreciated.

Hello USMLE_Pro! Thanks so much for your advice in this forum. I was wondering, for someone who has pretty bad hearing especially when it comes to the horrible sound quality of the headphones at prometrics, do you have any advice about likely shot-in-the-dark answers or answer choices you would rule out just based on them being unlikely to test that sound? I found on step 1 that I wasted by far the most time on those auditory-type questions with little return in terms of getting the correct answer.

It's really difficult for anyone who scored a 230 on Step 1 to get 260+ on Step 2 CK, but it's definitely possible and I've seen it done! You need to examine why you scored a 230 on Step 1 and what you need to do differently in order to perform much better on CK. Depending on what you need to work on, 4 months could be enough, but it might not be. Most people in your situation need to significantly improve their test-taking skills (but I don't know the particulars of your situation). Feel free to PM me and I can share some articles with my advice on resources to use for CK, and we can also discuss your particular situation.
With one month of dedicated study, how much point improvement can a person on average REALISTICALLY expect to achieve on step 2ck over step 1 performance.

Hello, I am currently 12 days away from taking Step 2 CK. Got a 207 on my first practice exam (NBME 8) and a 230 on my most recent a few days ago (UW2). I'm trying to get through practice questions, strengthen weak areas of knowledge base and test taking strategy in that time. My goal score is 230-240 range. I got a 219 on Step 1, making it a lower score. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can make the most of the rest of my study time to maximize my score?

Hello, I am currently 12 days away from taking Step 2 CK. Got a 207 on my first practice exam (NBME 8) and a 230 on my most recent a few days ago (UW2). I'm trying to get through practice questions, strengthen weak areas of knowledge base and test taking strategy in that time. My goal score is 230-240 range. I got a 219 on Step 1, making it a lower score. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can make the most of the rest of my study time to maximize my score?
hey what changes in studying did you make to jump from 207 to a 230?

Hi USMLE Pro,

My exam is about 3 weeks from now. I listened to your advice and made my own flashcards on anki and it was so helpful. Now it's set at default setting. I want to be able to review everything i have within 3 weeks time. I have no idea how to adjust the anki settings. I have about 2000 cards. Any advice will be appreciated.

Apologies for my delayed response, have been super busy with intern year! Looks like you already took your exam (if so hope it went well!) but if not feel free to PM me if you're still having trouble (I have different students use different Anki settings).

Hello USMLE_Pro! Thanks so much for your advice in this forum. I was wondering, for someone who has pretty bad hearing especially when it comes to the horrible sound quality of the headphones at prometrics, do you have any advice about likely shot-in-the-dark answers or answer choices you would rule out just based on them being unlikely to test that sound? I found on step 1 that I wasted by far the most time on those auditory-type questions with little return in terms of getting the correct answer.

I would take note of the most frequent correct answers on the UWorld Step 2 CK questions that use audio. There are things that tend to come up again and again (like a normal exam in a child with a URI, or mitral prolapse), and there's definitely utility in guessing those answers if you struggle to hear the audio. Good luck!

hey what changes in studying did you make to jump from 207 to a 230?

Just FYI, you should expect to score higher on the UWSAs (often overpredict) than the NBMEs (often underpredict). It's great that he or she made progress, but it's more like a 13 point difference than a 23 point difference.

With one month of dedicated study, how much point improvement can a person on average REALISTICALLY expect to achieve on step 2ck over step 1 performance.

Hey, great question! It all depends on how you are studying, if you are studying alone, in a group, or getting outside help. Most people will score 10 points higher on CK than Step 1, but I've seen our students improve over 40 points in the span of a month. If you're not studying the right way, you may underperform Step 1 (especially if you are weak on strategic test-taking skills); if you're using evidence-based methods (spaced repetition, focus on practice questions), I would consider the sky the limit! For many students, a month is a good amount of time to make pretty significant improvements, if you're using the right methods.

Apologies for my late response, hope your exam went well! For others, I would recommend focusing on practice questions (UWorld) and doing every CK NBME and reviewing in EXTREME detail (i.e., know those exams backwards and forwards). For those struggling more on CK than on Step 1, often test-taking is the issue, and you can try keeping track of the types of errors (cognitive errors vs. knowledge deficit) in a spreadsheet and see if you can detect any patterns that you can work on. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I took Step 1 after 3rd year (like the rest of my class) in May, and then Step 2 CK in late December of the same year, so about 7 months.
thanks for info, I was just asking because I am starting to forget step 1 material and its been a year, do you think I should skim through fa step 1 prior to talking step 2 in next few months?

thanks for info, I was just asking because I am starting to forget step 1 material and its been a year, do you think I should skim through fa step 1 prior to talking step 2 in next few months?

I would not advise skimming through, but it can be helpful to reference FA for Step 1 if pertinent to a UW or NBME Step 2 CK question you've gotten wrong to jog your memory. But in general, I don't recommend trying to refresh Step 1 material in order to prepare for Step 2 CK.

Apologies for my late response, hope your exam went well! For others, I would recommend focusing on practice questions (UWorld) and doing every CK NBME and reviewing in EXTREME detail (i.e., know those exams backwards and forwards). For those struggling more on CK than on Step 1, often test-taking is the issue, and you can try keeping track of the types of errors (cognitive errors vs. knowledge deficit) in a spreadsheet and see if you can detect any patterns that you can work on. Good luck!

Can you please elaborate on that further?

I hated every single NBME I did for Step 1 (and I did lots of them). I found the questions way too short compared to the real thing, often tricky for the sake of trickiness or with vague questions stems/bad writing and detail oriented. Basically it was the exact opposite of my actual exam.

So how is the situation of NBMEs for Step 2CK? And how do you think one benefits from reviewing the NBMEs extensively? As they don't come with answers, let alone the cumbersome reviewing system. Do you think it's worth the time investment in like googling every single answer choice of every question?

Also do you suggest doing just NBMEs 6,7,8 or even the offline ones? And in the latter case, would you recommend those over a pass of UWorld incorrects if one had time for only of those?

Can you please elaborate on that further?

I hated every single NBME I did for Step 1 (and I did lots of them). I found the questions way too short compared to the real thing, often tricky for the sake of trickiness or with vague questions stems/bad writing and detail oriented. Basically it was the exact opposite of my actual exam.

So how is the situation of NBMEs for Step 2CK? And how do you think one benefits from reviewing the NBMEs extensively? As they don't come with answers, let alone the cumbersome reviewing system. Do you think it's worth the time investment in like googling every single answer choice of every question?

Also do you suggest doing just NBMEs 6,7,8 or even the offline ones? And in the latter case, would you recommend those over a pass of UWorld incorrects if one had time for only of those?

Apologies for my delayed response, it is absolutely worth it to review every NBME for CK, I believe that's the #1 thing that helped me get such a high score. If the questions don't seem that high-yield to you, I would say (in the case of Step 1) you didn't dig deep enough into the concepts or didn't retain the questions you review well. In my experience, the NBMEs are much more important than a pass of incorrects. If you don't have someone to review them with you, it will be very time consuming, but the "bang for your buck" so to speak will be much more than any other form of studying.

Apologies for my delayed response, it is absolutely worth it to review every NBME for CK, I believe that's the #1 thing that helped me get such a high score. If the questions don't seem that high-yield to you, I would say (in the case of Step 1) you didn't dig deep enough into the concepts or didn't retain the questions you review well. In my experience, the NBMEs are much more important than a pass of incorrects. If you don't have someone to review them with you, it will be very time consuming, but the "bang for your buck" so to speak will be much more than any other form of studying.

Hey, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'll try to put more time into them and see how that works out. I am still not convinced about Step 1's NBMEs with the sole exception of NBME 23 as per my personal experience - but I can understand that this might be quite different for Step 2, since we have to deal with algorithms and more "common sense" questions, so I get your point.

Hey, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'll try to put more time into them and see how that works out. I am still not convinced about Step 1's NBMEs with the sole exception of NBME 23 as per my personal experience - but I can understand that this might be quite different for Step 2, since we have to deal with algorithms and more "common sense" questions, so I get your point.

Sounds like a good plan. Regarding "algorithms and common sense questions," my overall way of framing it is that Step 2 CK is to a much greater extent a test of test-taking skill. So, while I would say that NBME review is really important for both tests, if you have to compare, it is ultmately more important for CK (especially if you're looking for a very high score). I think few people approach NBME review with the lens of deconstructing questions and using them to understand the test-maker mindset, so I think in general the limited utility people see in them can, sometimes, be from focusing too much on trying to learn the content relevant for a particular question, which is not the most important aspect of NBME review.

Hi usmlepro, thank you to make this thread...
my step 1 just around 210s, so i need to boost up my step 2 ck score.. my goal is 250 up, i know you said it kinda impossible in your previous comment, because step 2 score just around 10 plus from step 1 score, but i need a high step 2 score...
my past step 1 nbme actually quite good, but i’m kinda a bad test taker person, i’m really anxious even i couldn’t sleep at all a night before.
for step 2,
i pass 78% for kaplan qban,
uworld 69%

today for the first time i took nbme 6 and feels okay when doing it, i feels at least i will cross 209 and study more after that... but i’m so shock that i just got 200... with 40 wrong qs from 184.. how is this possible? is nbme 6 predict a lot? Can u give me some suggestion. Thanks a lot.. i really need boost up my score. Right now i’m also doing Zanki for step 2.

Hey Lydia, thanks for reaching out! Scoring in the 250s on Step 2 CK after a 210 Step 1 score is very difficult, but it's certainly not impossible and I've seen multiple students do it before (albeit, usually with some form of external help). I don't want you to feel discouraged, but rather to recognize you'll have to completely change your test-taking and studying approach in order to achieve this result.

Step 2 CK is much more difficult from a test-taking perspective than Step 1, which may explain your difficulty. I would focus on doing as many practice questions as possible (UW two passes, all the NBMEs with in-depth NBME review after) and making your own flashcards rather than using Zanki. I can send you a blog post on my method for making cards if you're interested. I would also make a spreadsheet and categorize why you're getting each question wrong. NBME 6 will underpredict your score a bit, but not usually by more than 10 points, so this result indicates you have a long way to go to change your test-taking habits. It can also be helpful to see if you're particularly weak in certain subjects (look at the score breakdown by subject) and build up some basic content knowledge with the OnlineMedEd videos for those areas.

Regarding your anxiety, are you seeing a therapist or psychiatrist to help manage this? Additionally, regular exercise and guided meditation (Headspace or Calm apps) can be really helpful. Many of my students need to spend a good deal of effort managing their test-taking anxiety when preparing for high stakes tests like the USMLE, so you're certainly not alone. Often, it's necessary to really get your anxiety under control in order to get the result you're aiming for. If that means delaying your test or taking a break to focus on your mental health, that may be the best option.

Don't give up!

hello usmlepro, i find this thread very helpful.

I sent you a pm but seems your inbox must be flooded. So i want to ask you here again , can please help me starting with my prep? I feel lost ,i mean how to begin, i started with IM but then switched to pediatrics kaplan notes then after reading few exam post write-ups, i started UW but not able to consolidate and concentrate. Haven't completed anything yet. I really want to know whats best way to begin? i took nbme as diagnostic and did just 1 block and got 55% correct. was lil upset which further demotivated me because i was good in clinicals.
PLease guide me.

Hey Lydia, thanks for reaching out! Scoring in the 250s on Step 2 CK after a 210 Step 1 score is very difficult, but it's certainly not impossible and I've seen multiple students do it before (albeit, usually with some form of external help). I don't want you to feel discouraged, but rather to recognize you'll have to completely change your test-taking and studying approach in order to achieve this result.

Step 2 CK is much more difficult from a test-taking perspective than Step 1, which may explain your difficulty. I would focus on doing as many practice questions as possible (UW two passes, all the NBMEs with in-depth NBME review after) and making your own flashcards rather than using Zanki. I can send you a blog post on my method for making cards if you're interested. I would also make a spreadsheet and categorize why you're getting each question wrong. NBME 6 will underpredict your score a bit, but not usually by more than 10 points, so this result indicates you have a long way to go to change your test-taking habits. It can also be helpful to see if you're particularly weak in certain subjects (look at the score breakdown by subject) and build up some basic content knowledge with the OnlineMedEd videos for those areas.

Regarding your anxiety, are you seeing a therapist or psychiatrist to help manage this? Additionally, regular exercise and guided meditation (Headspace or Calm apps) can be really helpful. Many of my students need to spend a good deal of effort managing their test-taking anxiety when preparing for high stakes tests like the USMLE, so you're certainly not alone. Often, it's necessary to really get your anxiety under control in order to get the result you're aiming for. If that means delaying your test or taking a break to focus on your mental health, that may be the best option.

Don't give up!
Hi thank you for the reply, can you explain me more about making a spreadsheet and categorized why you’re getting each question wrong?
so what is the resource do you think i need to use in my step 2?
thanks a lot

hello usmlepro, i find this thread very helpful.

I sent you a pm but seems your inbox must be flooded. So i want to ask you here again , can please help me starting with my prep? I feel lost ,i mean how to begin, i started with IM but then switched to pediatrics kaplan notes then after reading few exam post write-ups, i started UW but not able to consolidate and concentrate. Haven't completed anything yet. I really want to know whats best way to begin? i took nbme as diagnostic and did just 1 block and got 55% correct. was lil upset which further demotivated me because i was good in clinicals.
PLease guide me.

I would love to help you, but I don't know enough about your situation as a student to provide personalized recommendations. How did you prepare for Step 1 and how did that go for you? How are you looking to do on Step 2 CK?

Hi thank you for the reply, can you explain me more about making a spreadsheet and categorized why you’re getting each question wrong?
so what is the resource do you think i need to use in my step 2?
thanks a lot

Everyone is a bit different in what resources work best for them. Have you taken any practice tests yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.