I got a C in genetics, how much will this affect me and should I retake it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supersaiyan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last semester I took genetics and ended up getting a C, but the lab is worth 2 credits and got an A in lab. I got a B+ in orgo chem 1 and currently taking orgo II. My freshman year I wasn't a very good student and got 13 credits of Cs not counting genetics, but those 13 credits weren't science, it was two English classes, a psychology course, and a trigonometry course (but I got a B+ in calculus I). Will a C in genetics give me a huge blow, it is basically the only big course that counts for medical school that I got a C in, would I have to retake that course? Also since I got Cs in both my English Composition classes earlier, is it a good idea to retake those as well? My current GPA is a 3.27, with counting an overall 17 credits of Cs, they are definitely crippling my grade point, so suggestions will be very helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You simply need to get many more As in science classes. Retaking classes doesn't make much of a difference because both grades are counted in the application GPA. Try taking biochemistry and getting an A. :luck:

You can either retake Genetics, or drown it in a sea of As in other upper-level Biology classes. To override the impression left by the Cs in English, it would help to get an A in another Writing Intensive course, though repeating is another option.

A good thing to know is that only retakes count if you apply to DO med schools (if the credit hours are the same or greater), whereas with MD schools, all grades earned are averaged in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, thats interesting I did not know that about DO schools, well anyway i plan to take an upper level genetics class so it will overshadow the general genetics course i took last semester