1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I got a Columbia Interview!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by futrdentist, Aug 10, 2006.

1. I'm so excited I needed to share with the whole world. Now I just have to prepare. Any suggestions? First interview for me...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mahGOL

mahGOL Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    congrats ... when was your application sent out by aadsas? Mine was sent out Aug 1st but I havent heard anything yet !

4. BallDontLie

BallDontLie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    dont worry. last year my app was sent out on aug 4th and i got the interview invite in mid-september. Plus AADSAS is supposedly moving faster this year, so who knows, it could be sooner for you

5. Revelde

Revelde Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what was your stats futrdentist?
    I also applied to columbia... which is my first choice...
    when was your application sent out?

6. Why your first choice, by chance? I don't really feel like I have any legit reasons to specifically attend any of my schools over any others (location for instance, I don't think is the most legit reason), so what do you think makes Columbia stand out?

7. sgdorfl90

sgdorfl90 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

did u ever get a confirmation for receieving the pic and the check? They cashed my check, but got nothing from them.

8. aurora507

aurora507 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Congrats! Did you get the invite via snail mail?

9. BallDontLie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I felt the same way when I was applying. Trust me, it will change once you go on interviews and actually get to see the school and meet some students and faculty members. By the time November comes around, you should have a pretty good grasp on what your top choices are.

10. Revelde

Revelde Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are rite. it is the location. for personal reasons, I really want to stay in NYC.
    There are two schools, NYU and Columbia. and Columbia is a little less expensive. and columbia is my first choice..well i dont know, it might change after a couple of interview. but just for now... columbia is my first choice. :D

11. sgdorfl90

sgdorfl90 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

did u ever get a confirmation for receieving the pic and the check? They cashed my check, but got nothing from them.

12. So if it's just the location, what are you telling the admissions? I hate to walk in and say flat out, I just want to live in NYC. Any other reasons? It's not that I don't think it would be a great school, just that I can't really put any big reason why it would be any different for me than my other schools.

Yes, I got my invite via snail mail, and I didn't ever get a confirmation on anything.

13. Revelde

Revelde Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

It looks like you really dont have a thing to tell the admissions during your interview in Columbia...
    well. like you said, it is a great school, you can amplify this reason in more specific manners. curriculum,, facilities,, atmosphere.,,, whatever you think that makes difference from other schools.

In my case, it s not just ' I wanna live in NYC cause its cool and good experience blabla.' as I said, I have personal reasons ( not gonna mention here) , not just want to , but BIG reasons why I need to be in NYC. and I think I can hopefully appeal the adcoms telling those.

Ah. of course, if I get an interview, I will also tell those classic stuffs how this school will make my career successful and how great the school is,, and blabla~~

14. You're right, I don't have a good reason, and I don't think many people have that great of reasons, other than they want (or need) to be in a certain place for that time of their life. I think there are reasons I could say why Columbia over Mississippi, for instance, but why over somewhere else like UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, or UPenn? When you're in a certain caliber, they all have those good qualities that are going to get you a good career, good scores on boards, atmosphere, teaching, etc. That's why so many people come on here in the spring and debate back and forth between their top schools. So does the school really care about my petty reasons like it's slightly cheaper than NYU, I like the city, I prefer the East coast, etc? I just feel like all the reasons I can come up with for wanting to go to any specific school are petty, and I'm wondering what vastly important reasons people are coming up with as to why the MUST go to one place over another because without having seen the schools, I can't say that I'd really be any better off at any of them specifically.

15. EmanUT

EmanUT Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    That makes two of us at Columbia! When are you interviewing?

16. SuperTrooper

SuperTrooper Membership Revoked
    Removed

Lots of asians at Columbia. Be prepared to get shocked, unless you're asian and you'd like lots of asians in your class.

17. Revelde

Revelde Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Do you have any problem with that? I am just curious...

I wouldnt be shocked because I know asians overrepresent in health related field.

18. SuperTrooper

Removed

I'm not just saying "Lots" of asians, I'm saying a significant part of the class is asian (like 40-50%). And I do have a problem with that cause I'd like a little more diversity in my class.

19. greenday

greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Columbia didn't have that many asians, actually i was quite impressed by some hot med students over there.
    You probably get a heart attack at UCSF it's like 70% asian amigos.

20. Revelde

Revelde Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In my opinion, 40-50% of one single race is not that bad. the other 50~60% will be white,black,hispanic and etc.

I mean.. to worry about diversity,, I think it should be at least 80+ % dominated by one single race.

Even most 4 year colleges all around the nation have over 70% white students, and they say they pursue diversity on campus... what do you think about this?

If you think the class composition should be fairly like the national population ( majority and a few minorities ) I have no word to say. well. if thats your thought....

21. Sounds good. I'm asian; looks like odds are in my favor.

22. SuperTrooper

Removed

:laugh: I knew it!!

23. DDSWannaBe2007

DDSWannaBe2007 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

24. I think you should go to either Howard or Meharry! I don't think there're any asians there!

25. I'm also part Native American Indian, part black, I grew up disadvantaged circumstances in Latin America, and I now claim Wyoming as my state of residence.

26. ArmoredTooth

ArmoredTooth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Gosh, why do you have to be so racist?

Got a problem with Asians? :mad

---------

Look at schools like Howard? The majority of their student body is African-Americans. So you're going to whine and gripe about black students? :rolleyes:

27. ArmoredTooth

ArmoredTooth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Great, another redneck paranoid about minority students. :eek:

28. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    HAHA... I love how defensive everyone gets. It's so adorable.

Congrats on Columbia though. Best of luck.

29. sk101

sk101 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

30. SuperTrooper

Removed

hmm... no, I'm not paranoid because i can't perform. Actually, I don't think i'm paranoid at all. And I think I can perform pretty well. I know lots of asians who are very laid back, and don't take studying/performing well in class too seriously.

31. biocmp

biocmp I'm a computer
    7+ Year Member

I find Asian girls very hot. Of course not all of them, but a few! So I would be more than happy to have asians in my class. (of course this only applies to hot young girls) :laugh:

Seriously, everyone needs to get a life. Asians are over here because they are smart or they are legal residents, same with indians (also part of asia). Most foreign students I have had in my class finished in the top 5%.

Now, all you really cool white people who say the "foreigners" are taking my job/spot, go look in the mirror and try to figure out why! Probably because they put in more work, they are smarter, and more determined. You have no life if you get on a website to cry about why you weren't accepted. :laugh:

32. shengx12

shengx12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I like that phrase in your profile man, it is great. Hey by the way EmanUT, what is exactly your name, and I am From UT-Austin, as well if you like to we can come together and say do a mocking interview or something. My interview in Clombia is on August 22.

33. shengx12

shengx12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    By the way from my Knowledge there are 5 spot for the Sept 22. interview, and 17 for the Sept. 27th. SO good luck!!

34. DentalBoarder

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Was his comment racist? I just took it as a statement of fact. People get so dang sensitive these days. Anyway, this topic is petty. Let's drop it. Btw, I'm Asian.... Korean to be specific. And I think I'd kill myself if there were 50+% Asians at one school unless you include ALL Asians (Indians, etc.). Diversity is best.

35. Lucass

Lucass RunswithPredents
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not really sure what you were trying to say...but I thought it was sure as hell funny. :laugh:

36. ElCubanito

ElCubanito Member
    7+ Year Member

Sadly....Ouch!!!! My g/f just slapped me. hehe :smuggrin:

37. ElCubanito

ElCubanito Member
    7+ Year Member

I second this...

38. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Someone should cut this thread. I can't believe this race relations stuff keeps popping up everywhere. As a Latino-Black, Native American transgendered person I'm offended that people think I'm URM in dentistry. I have an interview at Columbia and I'm just excited to be considered. When will we all just learn to deal with our differences?

39. biocmp

biocmp I'm a computer
    7+ Year Member

transgender? :oops:

kind of strange to post that information here

40. sk101

sk101 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

All I was saying is that racism .... exists....

.... got interviews... :)

41. MrZ123

MrZ123 DAT: AA/TS/PAT 21/22/21
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Last year 50/70 Columbia freshman were asian. That is a lot.

42. biocmp

biocmp I'm a computer
    7+ Year Member

Very dissapointed that sk101 has now reduced themselves to calling out people of a specific state? So, posters are wrong for grouping people according to ethnic background, and the continent where they or their ancestors are from, but you are ok grouping people by state-borders? Unbelievable contradictions~!

Seriously, that is why blanket statements are usually not a safe thing to use

43. prez_al

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    #@%&!!!! Now I gotta get in Columbia :laugh:

How young and how hot??? Hot young asians (21-23) are the best!!!!! :rolleyes: This thread has dashed my original goal of attending Penn... jk :laugh:

44. gony0213

gony0213 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi! For those who have received the interview invitation, when did you apply/submit the application?! I just wanna know when I may hear from them... Thank you!

45. v&andy_yankee

Wrong. There are a lot of Asians (Asian/Indian+Asian/Asian) but not THAT many. 38/76 were non-Asian, as a matter of fact...so that's "only" 38/76 Asian. Crap, exactly 50%!

46. Lucass

Lucass RunswithPredents
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Sumitted my application on May 22nd. AADSAS mailed it out on June 30th (first batch). I just got my invitation yesterday.

47. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    damn, that's a whole lot of Asians! Do you know the stats for the class of 2010?

48. MrZ123

MrZ123 DAT: AA/TS/PAT 21/22/21
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    According to the Official Guide to Dental Schools put out by the ADEA, 50/78 enrollees to the Columbia 2005-2006 entering class are "Asian-American". I don't know where you get your stats from.

49. v&andy_yankee

uh, because I go there and that is actually my class? I actually went down the roster and counted them up.

50. uclaguy

uclaguy Member
    5+ Year Member

Hmmm...sorry Indians reproduce like mad : P thats why we are all over the place.

For those of you worried about diversity...I guarantee Columbia is one of the most diverse schools you will come upon. We have got your hicks, your gangsters, Asians, Whites, Africans, Europeans, and Carribeans.

Chill out on the hearsay from books and check out the school itself.

51. BallDontLie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    zing! got 'em! :laugh: