I got a D+ in Calculus 3, What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorastro

Reaction score
So I'm a senior now, but back in my sophomore year I took Calc 3 because I was planning on majoring in computer science but later changed to premed. I did terribly because I was just under a lot of stress at the time plus math has always been hard for me. So I have a B- in Calc 1, B- in Calc 2 and a D+ in Calc 3. I know most med schools don't really have a requirement for Calc 3. This D + is really lowering my science GPA a lot. Should I retake the whole calc series or just Calc 3. Or should I just forget about it. I know DO schools don't count math as science GPA, but my main preference would still be MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a senior now, but back in my sophomore year I took Calc 3 because I was planning on majoring in computer science but later changed to premed. I did terribly because I was just under a lot of stress at the time plus math has always been hard for me. So I have a B- in Calc 1, B- in Calc 2 and a D+ in Calc 3. I know most med schools don't really have a requirement for Calc 3. This D + is really lowering my science GPA a lot. Should I retake the whole calc series or just Calc 3. Or should I just forget about it. I know DO schools don't count math as science GPA, but my main preference would still be MD schools.

It can vary by school, a lot of schools have been switching to "recommended courses" over required though. I think for the most part a lot of schools that still have requirements went to just requiring 1-2 semesters of Math (calc or stats) if so 2 quarters of calc and 1 quarter of stats should suffice.

Have you completed a stats class with a satisfactory grade? Also since you're saying calc 3, I would assume you were on a quarter schedule and I would check because sometimes the requirements are 2 semesters worth which ~ 3 quarters. To be honest, it wouldn't hurt to have full series calc completed and a stats class to check the boxes for math at all schools. I would retake the D+ because anything under a C- you won't be allowed to used and doesn't look great.

I haven't seen a single school require Calc 3. I could be wrong though. With that said, I'd probably still retake any STEM course that's a C- or lower.

Reactions: 1 users
This was me. I got a D+ the first time around my freshman year. I retook in for a B- my sophomore year because I was still in engineering at the time. I would check if your Calc 1 and 2 count towards the math requirements for your med schools. For me, they did, so I chose to move on and try to ace the rest of my classes to bring up my BCPM.

I've gotten MD interviews this cycle and have been accepted, so it can be done.

Reactions: 1 user