I Got a Job Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In today's mail was an offer from Walgreens. They are offering me $35.44 per hour as a graduate intern, then $98,280 a year when I pass the boards. I think they have my graduation year wrong in their computer. I don't graduate until May 2007. I think I'll wait until next year to accept. I'd hate to lock in current wages. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!!!!!! Smart to wait a year though... you never know what could come up!

dgroulx said:
In today's mail was an offer from Walgreens. They are offering me $35.44 per hour as a graduate intern, then $98,280 a year when I pass the boards. I think they have my graduation year wrong in their computer. I don't graduate until May 2007. I think I'll wait until next year to accept. I'd hate to lock in current wages. :laugh:

Wow, that's great! :D Congratulations! Is this job in the area where you live? Do they offer tuition forgiveness (just curious)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accept the offer and just show up. Even if they catch on, they'll stil owe you that $35/hour for however long it takes them to catch on.

animal_lover said:
Wow, that's great! :D Congratulations! Is this job in the area where you live? Do they offer tuition forgiveness (just curious)?
It's in the same region where I live called "Tampa North". It would be close.

I did not take Walgreens offer of tuition assistance while I was interning with them.

I really think that they made a mistake. I was paid as a 3rd year intern last summer because I had completed my 2nd year. They must have thought that I had completed my 3rd year. I'm not sure how, since I'll be on rotations and can't work during the summer.

Congratulations!!!
What do you think they considered your strenght?
In other words. Is there something special that you think landed you the job?

dgroulx said:
I did not take Walgreens offer of tuition assistance while I was interning with them.

Just curious, why didn't you take Walgreens' offer of tuition assistance? Is there something unappealing about the program? Just wanted to know for my own information. :thumbup:

i think that if you accept tuition assistance now then when you graduate you can't negotiate with them and other companies about your salary. Also, when you accept their offer of assistance you're also promising them you'll work for them after you graduate. for example, for every year you get assistance...it's one year of working for them.

Has anyone here done tuition reimbursement? I was wondering how much they would start at.

RxFabulous said:
i think that if you accept tuition assistance now then when you graduate you can't negotiate with them and other companies about your salary. Also, when you accept their offer of assistance you're also promising them you'll work for them after you graduate. for example, for every year you get assistance...it's one year of working for them.

Everything is negotiable. Even if you've taken their money, you'd be a fool to let them make you think that removes any bargaining power you hold. ...hell, you can always use part of your sign-on bonus from another company to pay them back for their tuition assistance.

For the record, I've taken WAG's tuition assistance money. ($5K/yr for the last 2 years of school, w/ a 2-yr commitment). I do see myself most likely working for them upon graduation, but by no means will I stop considering other offers or opportunities.

pharmaz88 said:
Everything is negotiable. Even if you've taken their money, you'd be a fool to let them make you think that removes any bargaining power you hold. ...hell, you can always use part of your sign-on bonus from another company to pay them back for their tuition assistance.
That is true. Sign on bonuses are pretty generous. ;)

pharmaz88 said:

For the record, I've taken WAG's tuition assistance money. ($5K/yr for the last 2 years of school, w/ a 2-yr commitment). I do see myself most likely working for them upon graduation, but by no means will I stop considering other offers or opportunities.

ok, you say that you have a 2 yr commitment with WAGs. so how could you accept a sign on bonus from somewhere else when you've promised to work for someone for two years? would you be planning to work at both places at once?
these are just questions 'cause i'm fairly curious myself how the whole process works.

RxFabulous said:
ok, you say that you have a 2 yr commitment with WAGs. so how could you accept a sign on bonus from somewhere else when you've promised to work for someone for two years? would you be planning to work at both places at once?
these are just questions 'cause i'm fairly curious myself how the whole process works.

No, It is a 2 yr commitment if you don't want to pay the money back. If you choose not to work for them, then you just have to pay it back. Its not life or death, they can't force you to work for them.

illusions said:
No, It is a 2 yr commitment if you don't want to pay the money back. If you choose not to work for them, then you just have to pay it back. Its not life or death, they can't force you to work for them.

exactly.

how long is the internship for? once you are regular staff pharmacist do you get benefits too and if so what are they? how many hours do you work a week? what are the hours like; how many nights and Sa/Su shifts? as you can see I'm new to this pre-pharm thing. any help you can give me would be great. is it unreasonable to think that after a few years you can cut out a lot of then night shifts and sa/su shifts?one other question...will places let you work part-time so if you wanted to pursue another degree after you get your pharmD say another medical or a masters degee?