I got a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the-world-revolves-around-me-t-shirt-shirtaday-2.jpg

🙄
 
Serious question folks.

How diffcult is it to get a PBM job without a residency? Is a manage care residency required pretty much?

If it is I'll do one for sure. I want a PBM job too.

It is difficult mainly because there are not too many openings and they are only located in certain states. I got lucky and got a position straight out of pharmacy school (a few years ago). I think I am the only one they ever hired out of school. You can't beat working M-Friday, no nights and no weekend. My place has not lay off any pharmacist due to lost of contract yet but it would not surprise me if they do = /
 
It is difficult mainly because there are not too many openings and they are only located in certain states. I got lucky and got a position straight out of pharmacy school (a few years ago). I think I am the only one they ever hired out of school. You can't beat working M-Friday, no nights and no weekend. My place has not lay off any pharmacist due to lost of contract yet but it would not surprise me if they do = /

yea i agree, need a residency to get in

and yea you nailed the problem every1 is always concerned, if you lose a big contract does that mean layoffs, its always on everyones mind and always a topic for water cooler discussions
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea i agree, need a residency to get in

and yea you nailed the problem every1 is always concerned, if you lose a big contract does that mean layoffs, its always on everyones mind and always a topic for water cooler discussions

It doesn't make sense. Why would they fire RPH when they loss a big contract and then hire new RPH 6 months later when they get a new contract? When we were losing contracts. They didn't lay off anyone. Instead, they had us do some clinical stuff for the manufacters.

I don't know about mergers though. It would not surprise me if they get rid of a lot of people at Medco.
 
It is difficult mainly because there are not too many openings and they are only located in certain states. I got lucky and got a position straight out of pharmacy school (a few years ago). I think I am the only one they ever hired out of school. You can't beat working M-Friday, no nights and no weekend. My place has not lay off any pharmacist due to lost of contract yet but it would not surprise me if they do = /

That's awesome!

What kind of role do you have and with which dept?

What is the career advancement like in this field?
 
It doesn't make sense. Why would they fire RPH when they loss a big contract and then hire new RPH 6 months later when they get a new contract? When we were losing contracts. They didn't lay off anyone. Instead, they had us do some clinical stuff for the manufacters.

I don't know about mergers though. It would not surprise me if they get rid of a lot of people at Medco.

its all about the bottom line....and now Im told they have more itchy fingers due to a abundance of rph to choose from going forward with the saturation

lost a contract? need to cut costs, canning a rph saves well we all know how much
 
Congrats!

I see the doom and gloom has already made it into such a happy thread! Haha, I love this profession, maybe it's because being pessimistic is just a natural trait for personalities typically geared for the profession?

I'm starting to wonder if our profession is just chalk full of "go-with-the-flow" internet ranters that just can't help themselves. There's always opportunity, stop acting like the rest of the world has absolute control over your life, and take the reigns.
 
On the one hand -- it's a job, right?

http://blog.chron.com/houstonshiring/2012/08/optumrx-is-hiring-pharmacists-and-technicians-at-hiring-event-august-20-2012/

On the other hand, this looks pretty scary. Kind of like those classic "I Love Lucy" conveyor belt scenes.

Pharmacist-at-Mail-Service-Facility-checking-orders-600x450.jpg

That's called a puck line, and is pretty much standard in all mail order pharmacies. Very efficient because one pharmacist can verify about 5,000 scripts per day. I actually wouldn't mind that job because it beats getting constantly yelled at in retail by idiotic customers who have no respect for you.
 
That's called a puck line, and is pretty much standard in all mail order pharmacies. Very efficient because one pharmacist can verify about 5,000 scripts per day. I actually wouldn't mind that job because it beats getting constantly yelled at in retail by idiotic customers who have no respect for you.

5000 scripts / 8 hrs = 10.46 scripts per minute. That's less than 6 seconds to verify each script non-stop, assuming 0 calls to question doc or need to take a leak. Hmmm, I think I would go blind or mad or both by the end of the day. :scared:
 
5000 scripts / 8 hrs = 10.46 scripts per minute. That's less than 6 seconds to verify each script non-stop, assuming 0 calls to question doc or need to take a leak. Hmmm, I think I would go blind or mad or both by the end of the day. :scared:
Well the premise is you only concentrate on doing one single task, so you can do it faster and more efficiently. The pharmacist on the puck line only verifies that the correct tablet is in the vial. Other pharmacists will verify that the prescription was entered into the system correctly. And probably other pharmacists again will make doctor calls if there are issues. So it's not like typical pharmacist jobs where you're trying to multitask and running around like a chicken with its head chopped off. But yeah, it's definitely not a job that will suit everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interning at a very profitable LTC pharmacy (mix of closed door and a few that are operated much more like a retail site but within facilities) and it's nothing like that picture AT all, haha. The smiles here are real. It's all dependent on the company and the environment. I swear to god it's like people on this forum are so out of it.
 
Interning at a very profitable LTC pharmacy (mix of closed door and a few that are operated much more like a retail site but within facilities) and it's nothing like that picture AT all, haha. The smiles here are real. It's all dependent on the company and the environment. I swear to god it's like people on this forum are so out of it.

Well, my wife is one of them. The staff at her LTC pharmacy routinely takes off early. I ask why, and she says no point sticking around when there is nothing left to do, and the manager does the same thing. My thought is then why is the management over staffing? But they are profitable even with the inefficiencies, so I guess let the party Roll!