I got a 'second interview' invitation. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!!???!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weezerfan1983

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently interviewed at NJ medical school. I was very happy with the school and the interview went well. My grades/gpa/mcat/LOR's are all pretty good. I recently got an invitation for a SECOND INTERVIEW. What does that mean? Are they seriously considering my application? How should i interpret this?

Members don't see this ad.

Either they screwed up (which is very possible) or you got another invitation because your interviewers gave you very different marks. I think it's pretty rare that a school would ask you to come back again because of this situation, but I've heard of a couple schools doing this if one interviewer gave you a good score and the other gave you a terrible score. Definately call them and ask, I'm sure they'll let you know what's going on.

your interviewers gave you very different marks. it happens. other schools have said they would do this as well if the situation arose. hopefully you get people that look upon you favorably.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard of this happening at NJMS. Usually, it's because the Adcom is borderline in their decision to take you. Basically, rock this 2nd interview and you are pretty much in.

There was a thread started about this too. Maybe do a search and see if that person posted what happened or you can PM them. Man, having to go through one interview is stressful enough, now a second. Good luck though!

thanks for the advice everyone...the lady at the adm office (very nice people by the way) told me that there were some 'more questions that needed to be answered'. Oh boy. well, it's better than a rejection. overall i'd have to say i'm still optimistic.

I would guess that they're ready to accept you but for one or two things they are concerned about. I suspect they will specifically address those concerns in the second interview. Think about the answers you gave in the first interview, determine what they could potentially be concerned about, and be prepared to answer questions regarding this in your second interview.