I got a summer internship with the VA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NormalSaline

Isotonic Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did a phone interview for a position at an ambulatory care clinic run by the VA. They just called today and told me I got the position! I'm really excited

During the interview they told me "we use our interns as pharmacists, not technicians...so you will be performing many of the duties of a pharmacist, under their supervision"

The thought of being "used as a pharmacist" is exciting and terrifying to me(I'm only a P2 now!):scared::scared::scared::scared:

The clinic employs 20 clinical and 6 dispensing pharmacists. I will be alternating days of "staffing" which i guess is dispensing? And working on "projects" which is shadowing clinical pharmacists and working more in that setting.

I've only had retail experience up to this point, so im very excited to see how clinical pharmacists work in a patient care setting. I'm just really excited about everything...can ya tell?:laugh:

The clinic is in MN, and Ive only been to MN once. Is the fishing as good as they say it is?😕😕😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm I might look into this next year, thanks! And congrats on the internship...do post your experience back on these boards at the end of summer.
 
Good job! I've never heard of the VA offering summer internships.

MN? I wanted to go there this summer and intern for the Mayo Clinic, but I didn't get the position 🙁
 
Interesting! I'll be visiting the MN VA in Mpls with Kevin next week. I've always wanted to observe there and see what goes on. Totally random. I didn't even know about internships; I was thinking more for 4th year clerkships / rotations. Do they have more positions open? What are your hours like, and were they flexible? You can PM me if you'd prefer.

The clinic I am at is not in Minneapolis. They have 2 intern positions, but as far as I know, both have been filled. Since it is an ambulatory care clinic, they work bankers hours (8-4:30 M-F). They do seem to be quite flexible and willing to work with my schedule.

cheers.
 
I did a phone interview for a position at an ambulatory care clinic run by the VA. They just called today and told me I got the position! I'm really excited

During the interview they told me "we use our interns as pharmacists, not technicians...so you will be performing many of the duties of a pharmacist, under their supervision"

The thought of being "used as a pharmacist" is exciting and terrifying to me(I'm only a P2 now!):scared::scared::scared::scared:

The clinic employs 20 clinical and 6 dispensing pharmacists. I will be alternating days of "staffing" which i guess is dispensing? And working on "projects" which is shadowing clinical pharmacists and working more in that setting.

I've only had retail experience up to this point, so im very excited to see how clinical pharmacists work in a patient care setting. I'm just really excited about everything...can ya tell?:laugh:

The clinic is in MN, and Ive only been to MN once. Is the fishing as good as they say it is?😕😕😕


Oh wow! If you dont mind, i would like to ask you a few questions about the VA position. I'm a current P1 student and I contacted the VA from my home area, an hour away from my school. Do you know if they actually offer summer position intern?

They asked me to come to an interview at the main branch at Canadaigua (40 min from my house (not school)) but i wanted to work at the branch that's close to my house (5 min). should i bring that up at the interview?

Did you have an interview? I don't know what to expect over there.... Do you like it at your VA? Thanks.