I got accepted into dental school with a low undergrad GPA. IT IS POSSIBLE.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArcticDentist

Reaction score
Okay, I am sure there are people out here who need to hear this story. I did not have anyone tell it was possible I made it happen. But, it would have been an easier process if I knew someone had done it before me.

I went to a highly respected undergraduate university. I always wanted to be a dental student but was too intimidated by the workload so I was a business student my first year. I finished my first college semester with a 1.8 GPA and was placed on academic probation. My second semester was a 3.0 and then I switched into a Natural Sciences degree for my sophomore year. From sophomore to senior year, I took astronomy twice, Bio 1 three times (kept getting Ds), Ochem twice ( a D then a C), C in physics, C in Bio 2, D in Biochem. I am not joking it was a huge mess. I'd retake classes and not do well at all. I graduated from my school with a 2.6 gpa and had no shadowing, terrible grades and nothing to show for it. But, I truly believed that if I really wanted to I could go to dental school. I knew that I was a brilliant kid, I just never attended class and never paid attention.

Armed with a 2.6 gpa and a really large chip on my shoulder, I enrolled as a post-bacc student at a local university. They didn't even give me a pre-health advisor I just told them "It's cool I got this." In a year and a half, no breaks, I took Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2, Ochem 1, Ochem 2, Biochem, Anatomy & Phys 1 and 2, Physics 1 and Physics 3 plus all labs. I finished with a 3.8 gpa there. I also did shadowing and emailed a couple schools I was interested and built a rapport with people in admissions (they were going to know my name). While I was in post-bacc, I did research 2-4 hours everyday and gave up my Christmas and spring breaks to be in that lab. I never published anything but I was always in there, always trying, and trust me it was noted in my letters of reference. Lastly, I knew I was only taking the DAT one time. I couldn't afford another blemish on my application. So, I studied 8 hours a day for two months (not weekends) and scored an AA of 21 and a TS of 22.

I applied to 14 schools, got 2 interviews, and was accepted on the very first day schools sent out acceptances (at 9 am).

I wanted it.

I got it.

Go get yours.

Also, feel free to ask me any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow man that's really motivating and such a great underdog story! Did you get accepted in-state, and what state is? Go you man, you rock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strictly speaking, it is a bit of a stretch to suggest you got in with "low undergraduate gpa" (from the "highly respected undergraduate university"). What pushed you into the accepted column was the combination of your performance in the "postbac" program with and the respectable DAT performance.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Okay, I am sure there are people out here who need to hear this story. I did not have anyone tell it was possible I made it happen. But, it would have been an easier process if I knew someone had done it before me.

I went to a highly respected undergraduate university. I always wanted to be a dental student but was too intimidated by the workload so I was a business student my first year. I finished my first college semester with a 1.8 GPA and was placed on academic probation. My second semester was a 3.0 and then I switched into a Natural Sciences degree for my sophomore year. From sophomore to senior year, I took astronomy twice, Bio 1 three times (kept getting Ds), Ochem twice ( a D then a C), C in physics, C in Bio 2, D in Biochem. I am not joking it was a huge mess. I'd retake classes and not do well at all. I graduated from my school with a 2.6 gpa and had no shadowing, terrible grades and nothing to show for it. But, I truly believed that if I really wanted to I could go to dental school. I knew that I was a brilliant kid, I just never attended class and never paid attention.

Armed with a 2.6 gpa and a really large chip on my shoulder, I enrolled as a post-bacc student at a local university. They didn't even give me a pre-health advisor I just told them "It's cool I got this." In a year and a half, no breaks, I took Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2, Ochem 1, Ochem 2, Biochem, Anatomy & Phys 1 and 2, Physics 1 and Physics 3 plus all labs. I finished with a 3.8 gpa there. I also did shadowing and emailed a couple schools I was interested and built a rapport with people in admissions (they were going to know my name). While I was in post-bacc, I did research 2-4 hours everyday and gave up my Christmas and spring breaks to be in that lab. I never published anything but I was always in there, always trying, and trust me it was noted in my letters of reference. Lastly, I knew I was only taking the DAT one time. I couldn't afford another blemish on my application. So, I studied 8 hours a day for two months (not weekends) and scored an AA of 21 and a TS of 22.

I applied to 14 schools, got 2 interviews, and was accepted on the very first day schools sent out acceptances (at 9 am).

I wanted it.

I got it.

Go get yours.

Are there any details you’re omitting?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m curious how did you do so well in all your classes a second time? you got all C’s and D’S but then took them all again and got a 3.8!? What changed??

I wanted it.

I got it.

Go get yours.

I mean you did finish strong at the end, but there’s definitely luck involved at some point. You also had a competitive DAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually this is important. The school I got into, I spoke
Strictly speaking, it is a bit of a stretch to suggest you got in with "low undergraduate gpa" (from the "highly respected undergraduate university"). What pushed you into the accepted column was the combination of your performance in the "postbac" program with and the respectable DAT performance.
Oh yes that makes sense. I can see how the post can be misleading. The low gpa was definitely redeemed, thanks for the feedback.

I mean you did finish strong at the end, but there’s definitely luck involved at some point. You also had a competitive DAT score.
Surely. I did more than get the grades and scores. When my application came through they knew me on a first name basis because I had been keeping contact over a few years. It makes a difference.

I’m curious how did you do so well in all your classes a second time? you got all C’s and D’S but then took them all again and got a 3.8!? What changed??
I took those classes at a young age. I had no study skills, barely paid attention and didn’t understand the consequences of not doing well in school. When I went back, it’s because I wanted to be there. I had no safety net and nothing to fall back on. I had to get good grades or my future was in flames. So I sat in the front of every class. I never missed. I built a rapport with professors, I stayed late. Honestly, I put in the effort and changed my mindset. Get to know your professors, make them learn your face and personality.

Reactions: 2 users