Dec 23, 2009
Australia or NYC or CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey wonderful people,

So, I just got my EMT-Cert this winter, and I was going to use it to volunteer with my school's emergency response team.
I was wondering what are some other creative and useful ways people found to apply their EMT cert?

Marcus Brody

Already has the grail.
10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Summer camps. certain states require a designated EMT on the premises 24/7. check nonprofits especially as they typically pay the best. i made ~3900 + room and board for 8 weeks one summer. problem is 24/7 means no leaving the camp, and no drinking. :(

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status
I don't know, maybe, get a job? Work for ambulance service or maybe tech in an ED somewhere. I guess that fails the creativity criterion. Oops. Well, anyway, I found working on a 911 service to be pretty freaking awesome.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When applying for jobs, don't ever mention the pre-med thing.

randombetch

Removed
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Summer camps. certain states require a designated EMT on the premises 24/7. check nonprofits especially as they typically pay the best. i made ~3900 + room and board for 8 weeks one summer. problem is 24/7 means no leaving the camp, and no drinking. :(
No drinking for 8 weeks?! :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Squeal

Think for yourself
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If I were you I'd try to get a job as an ED Tech, because around here, EMT jobs for 911 are restricted to driving the ambulance.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
When applying for jobs, don't ever mention the pre-med thing.

...Unless you can make "pre-med" sound :cool: (and applicable to the job). In that case, go for it. I've gotten positions by being a "pre-medical student"+ EMT by selling them both and showing them I am going to be there awhile and am devoted (i.e., not going to flake like most pre-meds are known for doing). It's all about how you pitch it. Just know that "pre-meds" are known for being flaky and self-centered.

Dwindlin

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
If I were you I'd try to get a job as an ED Tech, because around here, EMT jobs for 911 are restricted to driving the ambulance.
This will depend a lot on where you're from and how the systems work in your area. Where I work for example, hospitals will only hire medics to tech in the ED, EMT are occasionally hired as PCT's on the floors, but never the ED. Also, my EMT partner techs a lot more than I do on the average day, as BLS calls typically out number the ALS calls.

Again, depends where you are.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd also recommend the ER tech position, but around here, you need a fair amount of experience and/or be a paramedic to get it. There are also a lot of 911 BLS rigs running, so you can do a decent amount as an EMT-B. That's what I did.