I Got EMT-Certified, Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorenzomicron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey wonderful people,

So, I just got my EMT-Cert this winter, and I was going to use it to volunteer with my school's emergency response team.
I was wondering what are some other creative and useful ways people found to apply their EMT cert?

Members don't see this ad.

Summer camps. certain states require a designated EMT on the premises 24/7. check nonprofits especially as they typically pay the best. i made ~3900 + room and board for 8 weeks one summer. problem is 24/7 means no leaving the camp, and no drinking. :(

I don't know, maybe, get a job? Work for ambulance service or maybe tech in an ED somewhere. I guess that fails the creativity criterion. Oops. Well, anyway, I found working on a 911 service to be pretty freaking awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
When applying for jobs, don't ever mention the pre-med thing.

Summer camps. certain states require a designated EMT on the premises 24/7. check nonprofits especially as they typically pay the best. i made ~3900 + room and board for 8 weeks one summer. problem is 24/7 means no leaving the camp, and no drinking. :(

No drinking for 8 weeks?! :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

If I were you I'd try to get a job as an ED Tech, because around here, EMT jobs for 911 are restricted to driving the ambulance.

When applying for jobs, don't ever mention the pre-med thing.

...Unless you can make "pre-med" sound :cool: (and applicable to the job). In that case, go for it. I've gotten positions by being a "pre-medical student"+ EMT by selling them both and showing them I am going to be there awhile and am devoted (i.e., not going to flake like most pre-meds are known for doing). It's all about how you pitch it. Just know that "pre-meds" are known for being flaky and self-centered.

If I were you I'd try to get a job as an ED Tech, because around here, EMT jobs for 911 are restricted to driving the ambulance.

This will depend a lot on where you're from and how the systems work in your area. Where I work for example, hospitals will only hire medics to tech in the ED, EMT are occasionally hired as PCT's on the floors, but never the ED. Also, my EMT partner techs a lot more than I do on the average day, as BLS calls typically out number the ALS calls.

Again, depends where you are.

I'd also recommend the ER tech position, but around here, you need a fair amount of experience and/or be a paramedic to get it. There are also a lot of 911 BLS rigs running, so you can do a decent amount as an EMT-B. That's what I did.