I got in some trouble. But just how much, I wonder...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UPDATE:
Alright, I got myself a good lawyer and went to court. It was decided that if I work 80 hours of community service and do not have any violations in this state for two years, that the charges will be dismissed.

Now this will all happen right before I start applying, so any background checks will reflect the dismissed charges.

Now, can this still affect me getting into a med school if i tell about it on my applications? There will be no conviction. I was always under the impression that you aren't allowed to base judgement on something that did not result in an actual guilty charge.

Members don't see this ad.

Just looked it up, in my state you can expunge dismissed charges after 60 days.

Do you have to mention anything if your dismissed charges are expunged, on the applications?

I'll just leave this here... OP is lucky.

[YOUTUBE]6wXkI4t7nuc[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, OP, it sounds like you're pretty much in the clear. I highly recommend paying for a background check on yourself just to be sure, say in 12 months and then again in 24 months, but you weren't arrested or convicted of anything so technically there's no reason for you to mention this.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your lawyer says it'll still be on your record, then it's highly advisable to disclose it on your app when you're trying to get into medical school. They'd rather know about it beforehand than after they accept you.

Just looked it up, in my state you can expunge dismissed charges after 60 days.

Do you have to mention anything if your dismissed charges are expunged, on the applications?

This hasn't been mentioned yet - but not just medical schools - residency programs and state licensing boards often ask for ARRESTS, not just convictions. Also, some types of background checks show things that were "supposed to be expunged." When the time comes for med school application, match application and licensing application, I would be in contact with a good lawyer to let you know how much you are legally required to disclose. Disclosure won't look good, but non-disclosure could be career ending. If you were under 18 and treated as a juvenile, that would make a difference also.

Good luck to you.

OP, you have no "ARRESTS" in this particular incident and if the case is dismissed also expunged then you will NOT need to disclose it. In the primary application for the medical schools it states explicitly "if had conviction expunged then respond NO to the conviction question". Good luck!

OP, you have no "ARRESTS" in this particular incident and if the case is dismissed also expunged then you will NOT need to disclose it. In the primary application for the medical schools it states explicitly "if had conviction expunged then respond NO to the conviction question". Good luck!

I don't know what you call it, but the OP said:

"The cops decide to not take me in, and instead charge twice with 'Unlawful Transaction With A Minor'."

That's an ARREST, followed by a CHARGE, then an ARRAIGNMENT later on in the story. There was no CONVICTION, but there are records that don't magically get deleted and like I said, maybe the med school application doesn't require disclosure of arrests, but many state medical licensing boards do. It's not fair to assume someone's guilt if they've been arrested for a crime, but it is a red flag that the public has a right to know about if someone is given the power to practice medicine in a state.

I would find it unlikely that these two, dismissed misdemeanors that will have been expunged for at least 5 years would prevent me from getting a license.

I would find it unlikely that these two, dismissed misdemeanors that will have been expunged for at least 5 years would prevent me from getting a license.

Just to clarify my original comment: the events should not have any effect on getting into medical school or getting a license, but failure to disclose in a situation that requires it could absolutely stop someone from getting a license. Make sure that you go into any such situation with your eyes open and know that just because a misdemeanor is expunged, there may still be records of arrest or charges.

This is from the California Medical License application:

"23. Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to ANY offense in any state in the United States or foreign country?
This includes a citation, infraction, misdemeanor and/or felony, etc. If “YES” attach a list of each offense by arrest and conviction dates, violation, and court of jurisdiction (name and address). Matters in which you were diverted, deferred, pardoned, pled nolo contendere, or if the conviction was later expunged from the record of the court or set aside under Penal Code Section 1203.4 MUST be disclosed."

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but there's a similar requirement in nearly every state license application. I hope this information helps you.

Go by the letter of the law because that's the standard that will be used against you. Sounds like you were charged and diverted and now hopefully dismissed in a couple years. Not arrested, convicted, or nolo contendre. It all depends on what you're asked.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to report things but that does not preclude being licensed. I know a physician who had a parole officer while in college (arrested in the South in the 60s for civil disobedience) and another who had an outstanding warrant for years and years over anti-war protests.

The stuff that will get you into real trouble is sex (crimes), and drugs (dealing), and rock 'n roll (terrorist bombings). Also insurance fraud.