I got my new AOA magazine today . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I got the Pharos today. It's a magazine sent out to people who are AOA, and this issue published everybody who was elected to AOA last year. I was surprised to see how many people with 20+ interviews from last year's match were NOT on the list. It just goes to show that AOA is not even close to everything. Come to think of it, though, everybody with 20+ interviews that I knew had significant basic science research or were literally #1 in their class with 260+ board scores.

Good luck to everybody.

Dermguy

Members don't see this ad.

the list in pharos is only those elected a certain year. Anybody who was say junior aoa and elected the year prior or did a year of research or something is not listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
the list in pharos is only those elected a certain year. Anybody who was say junior aoa and elected the year prior or did a year of research or something is not listed.

senior and junior AOA both included. I'm sure. It's all done by graduating class.

every time i read this, it rubs me the wrong way! maybe the OP didn't mean it, but it is like putting salt in the wounds of those of us who aren't AOA.

My school doesnt have AOA, but I know I am in the top 10% of my class, so not being AOA doesnt really bother me, as we are ranked in our MSPE's

But I agree with the last poster, hopefully I misinterpreted the OP but this is how my slightly neurotic mind translated it when I first read it. My inner-voice in parentheses;

I got the Pharos today(Good for you, I am genuinely happy for you). It's a magazine sent out to people who are AOA (wait what is this person bragging, are you trying to assume that people dont know this already or are you basically insulting everyones intelligence who is not AOA), and this issue published everybody who was elected to AOA last year(now you are telling me that you are special and I am not for not being in AOA, are you serious.... DOOSH). I was surprised to see how many people with 20+ interviews from last year's match were NOT on the list(how do you know who had 20+interviews last year if people on here post anonymously, people you meet on the trail lie, or are you just full of shyte). It just goes to show that AOA is not even close to everything (thank you captain obvious). Come to think of it, though, everybody with 20+ interviews that I knew had significant basic science research or were literally #1 in their class with 260+ board scores (so what you are trying to say is that everyone you knew with 20+ interviews, who probably was already AOA now can impress us with these amazing stats that make anyone else intimidated to even try to apply, also how many people do you know are actually #1 in their class, how many classes do you know, how many deans letters did you read divulging that information which is kept for the most part pretty confidential unless you are a PD, how many people matched with 260+ versus how many applied...this smells like BS...WHAT A TROLL).

Good luck to everybody(condescension at its pinnacle).

but again I could have misinterpreted the OP, if that is the case then I apologize, if not dude you are a doosh

Izzle

ok. glad it is not just me. :rolleyes:
i hope he was just excited about it and not thinking about how it makes others feel....

My school doesnt have AOA, but I know I am in the top 10% of my class, so not being AOA doesnt really bother me, as we are ranked in our MSPE's

But I agree with the last poster, hopefully I misinterpreted the OP but this is how my slightly neurotic mind translated it when I first read it. My inner-voice in parentheses;

I got the Pharos today(Good for you, I am genuinely happy for you). It's a magazine sent out to people who are AOA (wait what is this person bragging, are you trying to assume that people dont know this already or are you basically insulting everyones intelligence who is not AOA), and this issue published everybody who was elected to AOA last year(now you are telling me that you are special and I am not for not being in AOA, are you serious.... DOOSH). I was surprised to see how many people with 20+ interviews from last year's match were NOT on the list(how do you know who had 20+interviews last year if people on here post anonymously, people you meet on the trail lie, or are you just full of shyte). It just goes to show that AOA is not even close to everything (thank you captain obvious). Come to think of it, though, everybody with 20+ interviews that I knew had significant basic science research or were literally #1 in their class with 260+ board scores (so what you are trying to say is that everyone you knew with 20+ interviews, who probably was already AOA now can impress us with these amazing stats that make anyone else intimidated to even try to apply, also how many people do you know are actually #1 in their class, how many classes do you know, how many deans letters did you read divulging that information which is kept for the most part pretty confidential unless you are a PD, how many people matched with 260+ versus how many applied...this smells like BS...WHAT A TROLL).

Good luck to everybody(condescension at its pinnacle).

but again I could have misinterpreted the OP, if that is the case then I apologize, if not dude you are a doosh

Izzle

Ouch.

1. That seriously hurts my feelings a little. I'm just trying to be encouraging to people who may have a bunch of research but may not be AOA or at the very tip top of their class. The whole applicant counts, and that's all I'm saying.

2. Be careful who you call a doosh. Name calling is not cool.

3. I didn't think everybody knew what the Pharos was, so I thought I'd point it out.

4. Good for you that you're at a school without AOA. Those are good schools.

5. Relax.

6. I'm not trying to say that I'm special and you're not. Don't call me a doosh.

7. You get to know people when you're interviewing. I knew a lot of people who had 20+ interviews.

8. Why are you calling me a troll? Why the names? Why are you saying what I'm saying is BS?

9. I was being sincere by saying "good luck." It's a painful process.

10. I'm sorry that you are anxious. It's a very intimidating process, but quit calling people names and quit being so paranoid.

11. Relax.

every time i read this, it rubs me the wrong way! maybe the OP didn't mean it, but it is like putting salt in the wounds of those of us who aren't AOA.

Very sincerely sorry if I offended. I was just trying to say that there were a ton of people with an amazing number of interviews who may not have been at the very top of their class.

I'm sorry if it's like putting salt in your wounds. That was sincerely not intended. I'm just trying to say that the whole applicant counts. Thanks for the civil discussion.

The OP was unnecessary. As was the post from Izzy. As was the subsequent reply by OP.

However, in these trying 4th year times, while we super-gunners go stir crazy during pointless rotations there's apt to be some gratuitous posts.

I'm as guilty as anybody else (probably moreso). For an example, please refer to what I'm writing this second.

I liken these times to what it would be like if you put 47 starved wolverines into a box and told them to behave themselves. Adding insult to injury, you would also tell these wolverines that they might not match into derm and all their hard work was for not.

Most likely, you'd get some blank stares from these wolverines, but the underlying principle is the same:

We're all a little tense right 'bout now.

And let me just say,

May you all match to your top choice (so long as it's not my top choice, in which case I hope you spontaneously combust on your way to the interview).

Dermguy, that last sentence in your op is what put it over the top. I know you are just trying to be helpful, but if you read your op again, the overview is this: AOA, 260+, top of class, lots of basic research...have them, or don't get a lot of interviews.

While you're just being helpful, ya gotta realize that there are a bunch of people applying who don't have any of those. It could be taken like those people you might come across on the interview trail who say something like "I didn't honor all my clinicals, but I'm having this other problem...I can't seem to schedule all the interviews I've been offered".

I wasn't offended at all, but I'm also not applying this year.

Dermguy, that last sentence in your op is what put it over the top. I know you are just trying to be helpful, but if you read your op again, the overview is this: AOA, 260+, top of class, lots of basic research...have them, or don't get a lot of interviews.

While you're just being helpful, ya gotta realize that there are a bunch of people applying who don't have any of those. It could be taken like those people you might come across on the interview trail who say something like "I didn't honor all my clinicals, but I'm having this other problem...I can't seem to schedule all the interviews I've been offered".

I wasn't offended at all, but I'm also not applying this year.

20+ interviews is what I was talking about. I didn't get that many. Very few people got that many, and from what I saw there were basically 2 groups of people who got that many, and one of the groups was not exclusively AOA.

The vast majority of people will not get 20+ interviews but will still match. In that last sentence I was just talking about people who got a ridiculous number of interviews.

Sorry to all I offended.

I probably misinterpreted your intentions

what I wrote was what it came across as to me, I said I am sure this was not the case

either way I apologize, I realize now that you meant well

you are not a doosh or a troll

I probably misinterpreted your intentions

what I wrote was what it came across as to me, I said I am sure this was not the case

either way I apologize, I realize now that you meant well

you are not a doosh or a troll

I appreciate the apology. I too apologize for any feelings I hurt. That was definitely not my intention.

Best wishes