I got my PCAT score thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an 87 :) . Considerably better than the 75 and 76 I got the first two times.

January 2006
Verbal: 413 72
Biology: 439 93
Reading: 419 79
Quant: 395 45 :eek:
Chemistry: 96
Writing score: 3 :(

Composite: 87 :)

My Chemistry section went from a 44 to a 96. :oops:
Already accepted to Wingate. Hoping I'll be eligible for UF's Orlando campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Good job ethyl! I'm hoping for that kind of increase in my chem score. I got a 49 in that section in October!

Anyone in GA get their scores yet? :scared:

Congrats!! Waiting is killing me. I can't take it anymore. Waaaaaaaaahh :scared:
ethyl said:
Got an 87 :) . Considerably better than the 75 and 76 I got the first two times.

January 2006

ARe u as annoyed as I am? I'm expecting to receive it on Monday but the mailman had come and gone w/o any news for me! Aite, I guess I'm going to stalk him again tomorrow.

:( *bumped*...

Members don't see this ad :)
starsweet said:
Good job ethyl! I'm hoping for that kind of increase in my chem score. I got a 49 in that section in October!

Anyone in GA get their scores yet? :scared:

:thumbup: I'm positive you will. I was expecting an 80 on the chem section. I was surprised to see my actual score. :luck:

ethyl said:

January 2006

cONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

ethyl said:

January 2006

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

how much more did you study for this one than the 1st 2 times? the wait is KILLING ME!!!!!!!

I got my score report n the mail earlier today...88%. At first it made me smile but then when I saw my reading comp score I was not that thrilled. With good sciences, math verbal and everything else, do you think that a school will think it bad that a candidate did so crappy on the one section.

I mean if you think about it, that was at the end of the exam, I was realli tired/bored/wanting to go home, but the score says im inompetent so ill go with that. In short, you think theres room for a guy who can comprehend stuff in rx school??? :confused:

88% is pretty good for first time.

Anyone else got his/her score today? Do share!

I still have no mail today.. :(

Hey congrats on your score Ethyl. Surprised to see that you're the only one thus far to have gotten yours/posted about it. Boards are surprisingly quiet, calm before the storm perhaps?

shoppe said:
88% is pretty good for first time.

Anyone else got his/her score today? Do share!

I still have no mail today.. :(
I've been keeping guard of the mailbox as if it were a prized possesion, and i've been literally stalking the mailman, to the extent he actually thought that i was interested in him:( +pissed+ Anyway, the wait is getting nerve racking :mad:

What did you do differently to cause the drastic change in chem?

ethyl said:

January 2006

When I got my 44 in the chem section, I ran out of time pretty badly. I had about 10+ questions not bubbled in so I had to rapidly christmas tree last minute. I was taking biochemistry at the time so I was in the mindset of looking for complicated multiple choice and tricky essay questions. :oops:

I read two books to prepare this time, 459 page Organic Chemistry by J. Wm. Suggs, Ph D (It's a book in the Barron's College Review Series). In reality, I only read about 300 pages because a lot of it is Organic II that you don't really need. Extremely easy to read and very helpful.

I also read cliffnotesreview for Chemistry. That thin little book is AWESOME!

Other books I read were cliffnotesreview for Biology and calculus. Unfortunately, I just suck at calculus so I had no hope there. My Quant dropped from a 64 to a 45. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Aires3k said:
I got my score report n the mail earlier today...88%. At first it made me smile but then when I saw my reading comp score I was not that thrilled. With good sciences, math verbal and everything else, do you think that a school will think it bad that a candidate did so crappy on the one section.

I mean if you think about it, that was at the end of the exam, I was realli tired/bored/wanting to go home, but the score says im inompetent so ill go with that. In short, you think theres room for a guy who can comprehend stuff in rx school??? :confused:

Congrats! That's an awesome score. Just imagine, you did better than 88% of the people that took the PCAT, including me. :oops: Most of the big schools that receive thousands of applications usually just look at the composite score at first. Your reading comp score is no biggie (make sure your school doesn't have any minimum acceptable score for individual sections), it just may be something you'll need to talk about in an interview if they bring it up. You did great though! :thumbup:

UnclePimpJuice said:
Got mine on Monday 2/27 (I'm in Gainesville, Fl); got a 90 composite.
WTH is still havent received mine :mad: its been 6 weeks or at least in a few days

I received my score Monday (Feb 27). Does anyone know if they send out something a little more detailed, maybe with unscaled scores or # incorrect per section? All I got was a small piece of paper with my scaled scores and percentiles and it says "THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT".

Hi ethyl,
I know this doesn't have to do with this thread, but how are your stats? (pcat and otherwise)

I am from Ohio, still waiting for score. :scared: Yesterday I called to the school they don't have any January score.

got mine today
went up to a 93!! :D :D

Verbal 427 87
Biology 421 81
Reading 462 99
Math 430 89
Chemistry 412 72
Composite 430 93

Reading 5

3rd time to take it, went from 73 in June to 82 in October to 93

I did absolutely terrible on the chem and quan. I kind of knew that already...I bubbled in about 20 on both. This was my first time taking the pcat...admittingly, I should have studied way more in chem and math...I rocked the crap out of the reading one...made me happy.

Composite score 79...not great, but hopefully it will be enough.
chem 37....ouch
quan 42...double ouch
Biol 81...I actually expected higher.
Read 99....see I am not completely ******ed.
Verb 75...I wish it was higher...I feel like I have a pretty good vocab/logic
I got a 4 on my writing. I'll definitely take it.

My score is the worst one so far :) ....I don't care, I feel I did pretty bad, but only 21% did better than me overall. Well, ok, in two crucial areas, math and science about 60% did better than me. Curse you all....curse you!!!

I think I'll be fine. My GPA is on the high side (3.7). I applied for next fall to OU.

Does anyone know if they look mostly at the composite or if they look at chem an quan more? Those two are actually a strength of mine, but, but...I can't breeze through them...so I run out of time...and bomb.

Where is everyone from? I'm in Minnesota and haven't gotten anything yet. I called Harcourt, and half were sent out last Friday and half this past Monday. So, I'm hoping for tomorrow!

beccala33 said:
Hi ethyl,
I know this doesn't have to do with this thread, but how are your stats? (pcat and otherwise)

PCAT: 87, 76 and 75
GPA: 3.72 overall 135 credits -- 3.6 prereq GPA
Molecular Biology bachelors in a few months.
Professional work environments.

I got interview calls from Wingate, Campbell and South before the January scores came in... so they called me with a 76 PCAT. :thumbup: People in the 70's certainly still have a chance. :cool:

drugdoc said:
Where is everyone from? I'm in Minnesota and haven't gotten anything yet. I called Harcourt, and half were sent out last Friday and half this past Monday. So, I'm hoping for tomorrow!

Virginia Beach, Virginia here...and still no score. :(

First time taking it:
Verbal 80
Bio 90
Reading Comp 79
Quant 98
Chem 92
Composite 95

I honestly cannot fathom how I got a 95 if my scores are so low. Strange inflation of the overall percentile. I'm contemplating retaking it, but I don't want to. Still, my pride is bruised :(

I'm from NJ...This was my first time taking PCAT...I highly doubt that I'll take it again just to increase my Reading Comp...unless some of you think that doing that bad on one section will greatly affect my chances of getting in.

Composite 99
Verbal 95
Biology 97
Chemistry 99
Quantitative 99
Reading Comp 64....don't know how that happened...doesnt make sense...I left thinking I got atleast 80% of those Qs right

rajan324 said:
Reading Comp 64....don't know how that happened...doesnt make sense...I left thinking I got atleast 80% of those Qs right
I know what you mean but the score is a percentile, i.e. you could have left the test feeling that you got 95% right but if 36% of 'norm' test takers got 96% and above you'll still end up w/ that score. Dont beat yourself up, those are excellent scores overall bye the way. Besides, some schools are more interested in your composite score...but that also depends :thumbup:

I finally got my scores!!! They aren't great but okay for the first time

Verbal...58%
Reading...43%
Biology...97%
Chemistry ... 79%
Math....75%
Composite... 80%

Do you think I should take it again? I'll go ahead and apply but I think my verbal and reading scores are really bad. But then I don't know what else I could have done to improve. Any advice?

evilolive said:
First time taking it:
Verbal 80
Bio 90
Reading Comp 79
Quant 98
Chem 92
Composite 95

I honestly cannot fathom how I got a 95 if my scores are so low. Strange inflation of the overall percentile. I'm contemplating retaking it, but I don't want to. Still, my pride is bruised :(

What are you talking about, those scores are great! I believe that the composite can still be really high even if the verbal/reading scores are lower, which explains your 95 composite. The same isn't true for bio/chem scores though; low ones can really bring your composite down. But with your scores, there's no way I would take the PCAT again.

Now I wanna see MY scores! Why is it taking so freaking long Harcourt?!

starsweet said:
Now I wanna see MY scores! Why is it taking so freaking long Harcourt?!

If you think you've got it back how about me? I'm all the way up in northern BC so I could possibly be the last person on this board to get his transcript. Its going to be aggravating for sure.

evilolive said:
First time taking it:
Verbal 80
Bio 90
Reading Comp 79
Quant 98
Chem 92
Composite 95

Give me a break and quit being so pretentious. You did excellently. Hopefully mine will come in today.

Verbal: 63%
Biology: 76%
Reading Comprehension: 85%
Quant: 79%
Chemistry: 87%
Essay: 3

Composite: 83%

This was my first time taking the test. I'm not quite sure how good this is but i'm content. :) Does anyone know how schools weigh the 400-600 numbers that are given with the percentiles?

First time test taker. I got my scores today in Columbus, OH.

Verbal Ability 75
Biology 84
Reading 99
Quant. 75
Chem. 82
Essay 4
Composite 91

I thought I did better on the chemistry and biology sections. They seemed so easy. I'm relieved by my math score as I ended up bubbling half my answers in the last 5 min. Overall I'm pretty happy with my score.

HI!
This is my first time taking it and I am pretty happy! I know my sciences weren't quite there but I have been out of school for 7 yrs and only gotten in a few of my sciences......

here they are...

Verbal 95
Bio 65
Reading 95
Quant 59
Chem 43
Composite 80%

I'LL take it!!
:)

Well..I must say it is about time. 94 composite...whew.

Best of luck guys and gals.

Plowi said:
Well..I must say it is about time. 94 composite...whew.

Best of luck guys and gals.

Good job! The anxiety is killing me!

Swenis said:
Good job! The anxiety is killing me!

Verbal Ability 402 55
Biology 411 69
Reading Comprehension 392 37 :eek:
Quantitative Ability 430 89
Chemistry 481 99 :D
Composite 423 87 :thumbup:

Writing Score 4

Wow, I really can't read but think most of you guys are book worms and that's why my percentile score was so low :) I guess I should have been reading some books while those reactions were proceeding.

Toulene said:
First time test taker. I got my scores today in Columbus, OH.

Verbal Ability 75
Biology 84
Reading 99
Quant. 75
Chem. 82
Essay 4
Composite 91

I thought I did better on the chemistry and biology sections. They seemed so easy. I'm relieved by my math score as I ended up bubbling half my answers in the last 5 min. Overall I'm pretty happy with my score.
nice score
what was your scaled score in reading?

Verbal Ability 451 97
Biology 453 97
Reading Comprehension 439 95
Quantitative Ability 403 59
Chemistry 469 99
Composite 443 98

Writing Score 3

Time limit killed me on the math part. Despite the score I'm not sure if I'm going to get in anywhere, my GPA is only 3.25, (math science GPA is 3.4) but I retook two classes. I got a 3.94 GPA last semester and I got a great recommendation from the Assistant directory of Pharmacy at the hospital where I work. How competive do you guys think I am now?

any chicagoans received their scores yet? the wait is killing me, its not like we're in the middle of nowhere where the pony express is still our main mailing system. geez :scared: , another dumb question, do all the test result leave the same place? i think mine is just delaying because i took it in another state.

s1ntient said:
Verbal Ability 451 97
Biology 453 97
Reading Comprehension 439 95
Quantitative Ability 403 59
Chemistry 469 99
Composite 443 98

Writing Score 3

Time limit killed me on the math part. Despite the score I'm not sure if I'm going to get in anywhere, my GPA is only 3.25, (math science GPA is 3.4) but I retook two classes. I got a 3.94 GPA last semester and I got a great recommendation from the Assistant directory of Pharmacy at the hospital where I work. How competive do you guys think I am now?

I think youll definitely get in places....that PCAT score is killer. Youve got a good recommendation too. The math isnt bad, it means your above average at least. But is a 3.25 really that bad? Id prob retake more classes to up the GPA if something is really pulling it down (Like if youve got a C in something).

I'm new to SDN so i'll start by saying HELLO!!!!!!
I took the january pcat, and i'm wondering if i can really get admission with my stats, which are as follows:
Chemistry= 85
Quantitative = 85
Biology= 88
Verbal= 58 :(
Reading &com= 28 :(
Writting = 3 :(
Science GPA = 4.0
Overall GPA= 3.85
This was my first attempt and i had not taken any organic chemistry nor calculus when i took it. I ran out of time on the reading section. I am thinking about taking it again in June or October. But i will be taking calculus over the summer. Will studying from May 19-june 24 while taking calculus be possible for me to make an excellent score or should i just retake it in November? But in the mean time are these scores useless? Thanks for your help.

mysteriousCIA said:
I took the january pcat, and i'm wondering if i can really get admission with my stats, which are as follows:
Chemistry= 85
Quantitative = 85
Biology= 88
Science GPA = 4.0
Overall GPA= 3.85
This was my first attempt and i had not taken any organic chemistry nor calculus when i took it. I ran out of time on the reading section. I am thinking about taking it again in June or October. But i will be taking calculus over the summer. Will studying from May 19-june 24 while taking calculus be possible for me to make an excellent score or should i just retake it in November? But in the mean time are these scores useless? Thanks for your help.

Your science scores are solid across the board and your GPA is where it needs to be at. Taking calculus won't impact your quantitative score too much, but it won't hurt. For not having any organic, your chem score is excellent. I'd retake the exam in June and concentrate mainly on increasing your reading comp/verbal score. The summer is an excellent time to take the exam because it coincides w/the opening of the application process. Don't put it off until the fall if you can help it.

mysteriousCIA said:
Chemistry= 85
Quantitative = 85
Biology= 88
Science GPA = 4.0
Overall GPA= 3.85

What was your composite?

crossjb said:
Your science scores are solid across the board and your GPA is where it needs to be at. Taking calculus won't impact your quantitative score too much, but it won't hurt. For not having any organic, your chem score is excellent. I'd retake the exam in June and concentrate mainly on increasing your reading comp/verbal score. The summer is an excellent time to take the exam because it coincides w/the opening of the application process. Don't put it off until the fall if you can help it.
Thanks. But do u think any school will accepts my stats thus far?