I got my PCAT score thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an 87 :) . Considerably better than the 75 and 76 I got the first two times.

January 2006
Verbal: 413 72
Biology: 439 93
Reading: 419 79
Quant: 395 45 :eek:
Chemistry: 96
Writing score: 3 :(

Composite: 87 :)

My Chemistry section went from a 44 to a 96. :oops:
Already accepted to Wingate. Hoping I'll be eligible for UF's Orlando campus.

Members don't see this ad.

mysteriousCIA said:
Thanks. But do u think any school will accepts my stats thus far?
Depends on school - there are some who won't consider any applicants with any section score less than 50th percentile.

:mad: I just got my scores today. I got 86 composite. Not bad right? Except that I got a 91 in October. Has anyone's score gone DOWN like mine? :( I finally did better in chem, but only from a 49 to a 54. I'm so disappointed.

starsweet said:
:mad: I just got my scores today. I got 86 composite. Not bad right? Except that I got a 91 in October. Has anyone's score gone DOWN like mine? :( I finally did better in chem, but only from a 49 to a 54. I'm so disappointed.

Wow thats harsh. But why were you taking it again with a 91? Was it because of the 49 in chem? What is the lowest score you will be happy with in any section?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test for the first, and thankfully last, time in January. It does seem that the grades are inflated, as I got a 99 composite, but only a 79 on the Quant. Everybody who has posted here seems to have done all right. It seems that the folks who would need these boards the most are folks that are struggling, and for a sub-par test to get in the 99th percentile there must be a lot of closet 40's out there.

Only each student's first test is taken into account for overall composite calculation, so if many people take it several times it seems that the schools may be flooded with exceptionally high scores. With this in mind I think that the essay portion of the application must be a huge weight as to whether you get into a school. Admission records show that the average composite for accepted candidates is ~78. Schools must be turning down applicants with very high scores to accept candidates with other attributes that they value more.

I wish I could come to a different conclusion than this because the test is my strongest application point now, but I cannot. I'll post if I get rejected from the 2 schools that I applied to, as it would serve to clarify important application aspects. Is there anyone around the forum that had a great score and couldn't get in?

I'm not sure what I'm driving at, so I'll leave it with a cliché that I usually ignore. The secret must be to live right. Don't sweat the test too much folks.

-Yacoff

verb 99
Bio 99
R. comp. 95
quant 79
chem 99
comp 99

Yacoff said:
I took the test for the first, and thankfully last, time in January. It does seem that the grades are inflated, as I got a 99 composite, but only a 79 on the Quant. Everybody who has posted here seems to have done all right. It seems that the folks who would need these boards the most are folks that are struggling, and for a sub-par test to get in the 99th percentile there must be a lot of closet 40's out there.

Only east student's first test is taken into account for overall composite calculation, so if many people take it several times it seems that the schools may be flooded with exceptionally high scores. With this in mind I think that the essay portion of the application must be a huge weight as to weather you get into a school. Admission records show that the average composite for accepted candidates is ~78. Schools must be turning down applicants with very high scores to accept candidates with other attributes that they value more.

I wish I could come to a different conclusion than this because the test is my strongest application point now, but I cannot. I'll post if I get rejected from the 2 schools that I applied to, as it would serve to clarify important application aspects. Is there anyone around the forum that had a great score and couldn't get in?

I'm not sure what I'm driving at, so I'll leave it with a cliché that I usually ignore. The secret must be to live right. Don't sweat the test too much folks.

-Yacoff

verb 99
Bio 99
R. comp. 95
quant 79
chem 99
comp 99

The composite scores are not inflated. Your individual section scaled scores were high enough to make up for the lower score in quantitative. You earned the 99% designation. Check out the explanation of PCAT scoring under the "Composite Inflation" thread if you need more info.

-Yacoff

verb 99
Bio 99
R. comp. 95
quant 79
chem 99
comp 99

:mad: Easy to say not to sweat the test after you get, for all intensive purposes, a perfect score. I disagree and say sweat the test score as you should sweat everything involved in the admission process. If becoming an educated professional is your goal I feel that one should worry about all aspects of their profile including grades, life/work (volunteer) experience, interview skills, and standardized test score. I think that telling people to discount the test after you did well is kind of silly.

acetyl said:

-Yacoff

verb 99
Bio 99
R. comp. 95
quant 79
chem 99
comp 99

:mad: Easy to say not to sweat the test after you get, for all intensive purposes, a perfect score. I disagree and say sweat the test score as you should sweat everything involved in the admission process. If becoming an educated professional is your goal I feel that one should worry about all aspects of their profile including grades, life/work (volunteer) experience, interview skills, and standardized test score. I think that telling people to discount the test after you did well is kind of silly.

Their heads just get huge after they get a perfect score :sleep:. So much so that they go on preaching on a forum and telling people not to worry about their score. Come on man, its not like you won a gold medal for the US in the winter olympics. He even implies that the test score doesnt matter much, but thats just nonsense. Its a big part of the package obviously and retaking it is obviously what should be done if a score is low because most people increase their scores substantially on a second or third time.

It is really annoying when people strut their stuff on forums, hope they dont do that during the interview too much or that test score really wont matter much :smuggrin:.

Btw acetyl I like your scaled score on the chemistry section. Impressive. :thumbup:

Plowi said:
Wow thats harsh. But why were you taking it again with a 91? Was it because of the 49 in chem? What is the lowest score you will be happy with in any section?

I took it again only because of the 49 in chem. My other section scores were in the upper 80s and 90s (mostly 90s, which is why I had a 91 composite). But this time in January, I got a 71 in Reading and a few 80s and only 2 90s. What's really STRANGE is that I recognized a lot of the same questions, especially in the Reading/Verbal sections, and I did worse this time! At least I went from a 3 to 4 in the writing section, not that it matters. I wish I hadn't taken it again. I hope this doesn't look bad to my schools... :scared:

starsweet said:
I took it again only because of the 49 in chem. My other section scores were in the upper 80s and 90s (mostly 90s, which is why I had a 91 composite). But this time in January, I got a 71 in Reading and a few 80s and only 2 90s. What's really STRANGE is that I recognized a lot of the same questions, especially in the Reading/Verbal sections, and I did worse this time! At least I went from a 3 to 4 in the writing section, not that it matters. I wish I hadn't taken it again. I hope this doesn't look bad to my schools... :scared:
did you bring up your chem?

starsweet said:

Examples like this are why I just don't trust the scoring of the PCAT. :thumbdown:

ultracet said:
did you bring up your chem?

Yes, but from a 49 to a 54, not particularly impressive. :( By the end of the test, I get so burned out that it shows on my score.

Hey Thanks Plowi!

I walked out and talked to a friend on the phone. I said the reading section had these passages about massage, bees, diabetes, etc. and the questions were asking about tone. I said I didn't hear anything and that all the answers seemed right. With the chem. section, I was pretty confident that I missed only 1 or 2 questions outa the 58. Woot! ;)

I finally got my scores, went from an 82 to a 90! I went from a 92 to a 59 in quant. I went from a 56 to a 99 in Reading Comp. weird... but I'm really pleased with my score. I don't want to complain at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am new here, obviously, and so glad that I found this forum! I was just complaining the other day that I have nobody to talk to about the PCAT and getting into pharmacy school.

:( I did bad on everything non-science related :(
My biology score could have been much better too.

what do u think of my scores? this was my first time taking the pcat and i'm not not at a uni where pharmacy school is enforced so let me know what y'all think! :)

verbal 80
biology 84
reading 95
quant 85
chemistry 75

composite 88

what do u think of me getting in a pharm school?

acetyl said:

I'm not sure that the near perfect score will give me much more of a chance than someone with an 80. That person with an 80 who has lived my cliche, right, (volunteer work, gone to class, gotten decent grades, community activities) does not have to prove themselves overly on the exam. They should have the resources to do well, but they need not ace it. I did do very well, but may lack those other qualities, which I believe to weigh more heavily.

My statement was likely distilled not from an arrogant attitude, as Plowi implies below your post, but from a bit of a lack of confidence in my application and perhaps some Sailor Jerry's. My apologies if I offended, but I was offering my honest opinion.

-Yacoff

TomAndHuck said:
The composite scores are not inflated. Your individual section scaled scores were high enough to make up for the lower score in quantitative. You earned the 99% designation. Check out the explanation of PCAT scoring under the "Composite Inflation" thread if you need more info.

Thanks for the tip. I checked it out, and understand the scoring a bit better now.

-Y

hollynbaby said:
what do u think of my scores? this was my first time taking the pcat and i'm not not at a uni where pharmacy school is enforced so let me know what y'all think! :)

verbal 80
biology 84
reading 95
quant 85
chemistry 75

composite 88

Several days ago...
hollynbaby said:
don't share stuff like that w/ anyone...not my GPA, scores or anything.

sorry i just dont' think it's anyone else's buisiness

Come out of the closet? :laugh:

Your scores are strong. As far as PCAT alone goes, those are competative scores.

Holy crap, am I possibly the only person on these forums who has not received my scores? This is just getting rediculous.

hollynbaby said:

verbal 80
biology 84
reading 95
quant 85
chemistry 75

composite 88

HaHa, it got to you didnt it? It's seriously so hard to keep from worrying about gettin in. Your PCAT score is awesome, and chances are you have NOTHING to worry about. You scored better than 87 percent of the people that took the test. 13% scored as good or as better than you, and they arent all applying to your school of choice. So you're in pretty damn good shape.

hollynbaby said:

verbal 80
biology 84
reading 95
quant 85
chemistry 75

composite 88

very similiar pattern to my scores

Yacoff said:
Thanks for the tip. I checked it out, and understand the scoring a bit better now.

-Y
Hey, Yacoff. Would you post your composite scaled score. And other ppl who got 99% I want to see what was the scaled score for 99% on this test.

I posted about scoresc inflation on a diff thread about composite inflation. I want to see the score ranges for this year.

Hey guys,

I feel a little jipped although I understand why I got what I did and deserved it but my scores were

Verbal 399 50
Biology 411 69
Read C. 409 64
Quant. 426 87
Chem. 428 87
Comp. 415 78
GPA science 3.25 overall 3.5

I definately thought the biology and reading comp were cake and that math and chem were tough and ending up doing way better on math/chem. I took kaplan and never scored lower than a 430 or 90% on biology and reading comp which were from what I read on here supposedly easier than usual.

I understand its a normal curve, but I don't like how a 430=90% and a 400=50%. If I based my score on 430=90% then a 415 would be a 87% and if I based my score off of the 400=50% then a 415=52%. blah just venting

Has anyone improved the second time around even if they took a course like kaplan for the first time?

hollynbaby said:

verbal 80
biology 84
reading 95
quant 85
chemistry 75

composite 88

Excellent. Solid scores across the board.

Finally got my PCAT scores this afternoon. This was my first time writing it after 2 years of general science courses. I'm estatic about my score considering I only studied for about a week 2-3hrs/day.

Verbal: 427 - 87%
Biology: 433 - 90%
Reading: 462 - 99%
Quant: 452 - 97%
Chem: 460 - 98%
Writing Score = 4

Composite: 447 - 99%

rkothari said:
Hey, Yacoff. Would you post your composite scaled score. And other ppl who got 99% I want to see what was the scaled score for 99% on this test.

I posted about scoresc inflation on a diff thread about composite inflation. I want to see the score ranges for this year.

Sure.

Composite: 452 Writing: 5

-Y

Yacoff said:
Sure.

Composite: 452 Writing: 5

-Y

I hear ya but standardized tests are hard for most people (including myself) and most people are going to jump your back after you say the test isn't important after you ace it. True there are other factors to consider but everyone knows these days that Pharmacy schools are just as competitive as all of us and that the better their numbers, the better they look. We all know that grades and pcat are the major factors that schools look at which determine whether you will get an interview or a rejection letter. What did you get on the SAT if you don't mind?

acetyl said:
I hear ya but standardized tests are hard for most people (including myself) and most people are going to jump your back after you say the test isn't important after you ace it. True there are other factors to consider but everyone knows these days that Pharmacy schools are just as competitive as all of us and that the better their numbers, the better they look. We all know that grades and pcat are the major factors that schools look at which determine whether you will get an interview or a rejection letter. What did you get on the SAT if you don't mind?

High PCAT scores are probably correlated well with SATs. It helped for me at least.

starsweet said:
Yes, but from a 49 to a 54, not particularly impressive. :( By the end of the test, I get so burned out that it shows on my score.

I'm sorry starsweet... I know it's disappointing. But I think breaking the 50 percentile mark is important. And remember, you scored in the 90's bottom line. So maybe retaking it turned out to be unnecessary but I don't think any of your schools will care.
The PCAT can be a very mentally exhausting test- just be glad it's over and in August none of this will matter anymore! :)

What resources did you use to help you study for the PCAT?

rajan324 said:
I'm from NJ...This was my first time taking PCAT...I highly doubt that I'll take it again just to increase my Reading Comp...unless some of you think that doing that bad on one section will greatly affect my chances of getting in.

Composite 99
Verbal 95
Biology 97
Chemistry 99
Quantitative 99
Reading Comp 64....don't know how that happened...doesnt make sense...I left thinking I got atleast 80% of those Qs right

RyanMaverick said:
Finally got my PCAT scores this afternoon. This was my first time writing it after 2 years of general science courses. I'm estatic about my score considering I only studied for about a week 2-3hrs/day.

Verbal: 427 - 87%
Biology: 433 - 90%
Reading: 462 - 99%
Quant: 452 - 97%
Chem: 460 - 98%
Writing Score = 4

Composite: 447 - 99%

Congratulations!!!! That is a great score. Do you have any study tips (guides to use, books to buy, etc)?

Thanks, I found that the Kaplan book was extremely helpful. I wasn't sure what to expect from this exam so I really tried to do as well as possible on the Kaplan practice tests and actually only got about a 68% overall on their final exam which really upset me. But if you can go through that book trying to learn as much as possible you'll do fine. I never tried any other study guides besides using the harcourt online tests which were excellent practice if done under normal test conditions. If anybody was curious my practice test results were:

Verbal: 23-22 / 25 (1st attempt-2nd attempt / out of)
Biology: 20-20 / 25
Reading: 15-16/20
Quant: 20-13/25 (clearly 13/25 is a poor mark)
Chem: 23-21/25

Overall: 101-92/120

Hopefully that will give you guys something to guage your progress against.

hollynbaby said:

verbal 80
biology 84
reading 95
quant 85
chemistry 75

composite 88

I think your scores are just fine.

acetyl said:
What did you get on the SAT if you don't mind?

My SAT days were long ago, and I no longer remember what my score was. I took the GRE last year though, and did well on that. The two likely correlate well.

Be well,
-B

ndearwater said:
I'm sorry starsweet... I know it's disappointing. But I think breaking the 50 percentile mark is important. And remember, you scored in the 90's bottom line. So maybe retaking it turned out to be unnecessary but I don't think any of your schools will care.
The PCAT can be a very mentally exhausting test- just be glad it's over and in August none of this will matter anymore! :)

Thanks ndearwater, I can only hope that my schools will not think too much of it!

I was in Ft. Lauderdale this past week so I JUST now got back home and opened my PCAT results.:scared:

Verbal- 75 (Don't really know what happened here?)
Biology- 87 (Increased from a 66)
Reading- 90 (Increased from a 79)
Quant- 36 (1st time I got a 33. At least I'm consistent! I HATE MATH)
Chem- 90 (Increased from a 76)
Writing- 5

Composite- 84%

Overall I'm really happy. All of my individual scores increased a lot from the October test and my composite went from a 66% to an 84%.:)

calrx said:
I was in Ft. Lauderdale this past week so I JUST now got back home and opened my PCAT results.:scared:

Writing- 5

Composite- 84%

Overall I'm really happy. All of my individual scores increased a lot from the October test and my composite went from a 66% to an 84%.:)

Great job! :clap: What did you do between October and Jan that helped improve your score?

calrx said:

Writing- 5

Composite- 84%

That's great calrx! :clap:

highlyfavored said:
Great job! :clap: What did you do between October and Jan that helped improve your score?

Thanks!

I actually didn't study any differently the second time around. I had no motivation so getting myself to review for this test was a challenge in itself! I think, well, for me anyway, having taken the test once I was more comfortable going in to take it in January. I was also more familiar with the time constraints and was able to pace myself a little better.

I primarily used Kaplan books. I already read through them and took notes while I was preparing for the October test so I basically just went over them a lot. Even though my Math score is super low, I knew that I wouldn't really be able to pull it up a whole lot (unless I wanted to retake Calc and a few other classes!) so I really focused doing well in Biology and Chemistry. I was actually shocked by my Chem score. I thought the Jan Chem section was way harder than the Oct one! In fact, I randomly bubbled in around 10 answers because I was so pressed for time. I was convinced that score was going to drop.

For Chem, I knew that I had General Chem down solid and that I really just needed to work on Orgo. I went and got one of those tiny "Cliff Notes for Orgo" type books and went through most of that, focusing mainly on reactions. I think that helped significantly! I also kept all of my old Chemistry notebooks from high school & college so I went through a lot of my old quizzes and tests. What you learn in high school Chemistry is surprisingly very similar to what the PCAT General Chemistry section tests you on. I think understanding core Chemistry concepts is key, and you will find those in any high school Chem book.

For Biology, I just stuck to Kaplan because I felt it overprepared you, and I would rather be overprepared than under! I also went through as many practice Bio questions as I could find. The more practice problems you can do the better you will be able to train your brain to think quickly and accurately.

For verbal, I really don't know if there is a good way to prepare for this section. I suppose you could study the top 1,000 SAT words, but I had no desire to do that. I didn't do anything to prepare for Verbal, RC, or the Writing section.

Congrats everyone! My composite score was a 93%. Just some advice for anyone who wants to retake the exam -- I highly recommend the Kaplan PCAT 2006 book (blue cover) & give yourself a good month to go thru the book... map it out & do a chapter of bio & chem each day.. you'll be set! :) I also supplemented bio by studying out of the kapland gre bio book.

Oh, I'm from California by the way.

calrx said:

Writing- 5

Composite- 84%

Awesome job on writing! I found the math portion to be very challenging as well -- that's where the Kaplan book failed don'tcha think? It made math seem like it would be cake.

melt36 said:
Congrats everyone! My composite score was a 93%. Just some advice for anyone who wants to retake the exam -- I highly recommend the Kaplan PCAT 2006 book (blue cover) & give yourself a good month to go thru the book... map it out & do a chapter of bio & chem each day.. you'll be set! :) I also supplemented bio by studying out of the kapland gre bio book.

Oh, I'm from California by the way.

Does the Kaplan GRE book have any other sections that would be beneficial?

I got my scores... I do horribly on standardized tests, but here are my scores.

Percentile Scaled Score
Verbal 58% 404
Biology 93% 439
Reading Comp 64% 409
Quant 67% 408
Chemistry 72% 412

Composite 76% 414

Pre-Pharmacy Requirement
GPA 4.0

Like I said, my score isn't even in the 80's, but it was better than I expected when I look at how I usually do on standardized tests.

** By the way, I don't want to sound like a "basher" of standardized tests talking about how they don't mean anything **

I know that they do carry a lot of weight, and they should. If I am a smart student, but can't preform well on a test, what kind of student would that make me?

I have applied to the University of Mississippi school of pharmacy, and have already been to "applicant day." When we were introducing ourselves at the beginning of the day, I noticed that many of the people there had degrees, so that worried me.

I have over a year and a half of retail pharmacy experience, and I have a 4.0, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up. They only take like 60 people (30 of the seats are already taken) for a total of 90 seats.

Do you think my chances are decent?

melt36 said:
Awesome job on writing! I found the math portion to be very challenging as well -- that's where the Kaplan book failed don'tcha think? It made math seem like it would be cake.

I definately agree with you on this one!! The Kaplan 2004-2005 version was lacking on math and chem portion.