I got rejected from a school that has yet to receive my August MCAT scores!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the subject of the post says it all! I got a rejection letter from ETSU/James Quillen today. I am an out-of-state resident, but is it fair for them to reject me (no secondary or anything) w/out giving my August MCAT scores a chance?? You guys don't think it's possible that they already have my August scores, do you? I would be "ok" with the rejection if they had given me a fair chance...

:( :confused: :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

actually I would double check with the school

some schools reject, because they have a huge preference for instate residents....other schools, reject because they get incomplete or wrong information....

they may not be even aware that you took the august mcat! double check with them...it doesnt hurt...to ask

Pendulum:

I recieved a rejection from VCU and they didn't receive my August MCAT scores yet. I e-mailed them and asked why. They said that my science courses did not meet their requirements. This is weird because my science courses do indeed fit their requirements. I just e-mailed them back to ask what they meant...I hope its not AMCAS screwing up again.

P.S. If a school rejects you before they see your whole profile, it's not a school worth seeking because sloppy, unfair profiling means sloppy low tier school.

Members don't see this ad :)
DragonM- Did VCU send a rejection to you before or after you completed their secondary application?

I'm sure it was a mistake, especially if you do indeed fulfill their requirements.

Good luck.

atdeben:

VCU's process is they invite you to complete secondaries. I recieved an e-mail notifying that I was not invited to complete the secondary. I am still waiting on VCU's reply about the situation in regards to not "fulfilling science requirements". :)

-DM

ETSU is very selective about its out of state applicants. Don't feel bad. They have a gpa and a MCAT cut for secondaries. I know (pretty much for a fact) that the in-state cut for gpa is 3.2 and the MCAT is 27. The out of state requirements are probably much, much higher. Usually less than 8 percent of the class is out of state.

I also got a rejection letter from Nebraska who hasn't received my August MCAT scores either. However, their letter stated that the rejection was mainly based on high preference for in-state residents.

pendulum, et al...

To preface this, this is my second year applying...

Last year Northwestern rejected before labor day weekend...and hence, before they even had my August scores AND my recommendations. When I called and asked why I was not competitive enough for atleast a secondary, they read a list of 7 areas they look at (gpa, science gpa, MCAT, rec's, where you went to school and types of classes, volunteer + research, extracur.)

Yet when I asked the lady what the problem was (I met all the requirements)...she was flustered in just read me the list again.

Some schools just screw people over, whether b/c of timing (August scores), residency, etc...

Look at it this way, if the school did not have the deceny to atleast wait for your scores, then that school does not deserve to have you as one of their students.

Northwestern does seem to be especially speedy with rejections. Last time I applied that one came so quick that I don't think they had time to read my full name on my AMCAS :(

I think some schools are just especially cruel. Don't loose hope!

Bee

Thanks everyone for your support. I'm going to e-mail them today and see if they write back.

DragonM,
I'm sorry to hear about VCU; they're a bit inconsistent. One of my friends got rejected from there w/out receipt of August MCAT scores, whereas I was placed on hold until the receipt of my August MCAT scores.

cubsfan,
This is also my second time applying. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!!
Thanks again, everyone. You all are right; if a school is not willing to give me a fair chance (wait upon my August MCATs), then they're probably not worth my time.

:) :)