i had an idea...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chikantikka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, indians are considered one of the worst "miniorties" for applying to med schools as almost 25% of phsyicans are indians.

this totally sucks as i am an indian. but somone told me that i could put down west indian as they have indian roots in them and west indians are pretty darn underrepresented... if i could tie up any loose ends with this, could this actually work?

input pls, esp from any indians on this board.

Members don't see this ad.

That is just incredibly stupid. Instead of thinking up schemes that will make the ride to medical school easier, why don't you focus on creating the best AND most truthful application that you can.

I am indian and I think your idea is plain stupid.

Umm, that's totally sketchy. What they are asking is your racial/ethnic description, not your nationality. South Asian Indians living in Kenya are still "Indian", they don't become Black Africans; the same applies to the West Indies.

There seems to be a genralized paranoia on this board about how the URMs are "taking my spot in med school", which is simply not true. Spend some time going through the first few pages of the latest MSAR and analyze the statistics of who is going to med school and it should be obvious.

If in fact you did live/grow up in the West Indies, then you should have something interesting to write/talk about and that is what will make the difference in getting in or not. Being consumed with "Oh my god, I'm Indian, I'm screwed" is self defeating.

Members don't see this ad :)
such hate .. just asking...

Chikkantika,

I know how you feel.... I am from Ukraine (born there, came to US when I was 8), and I hate having to put down that i'm "caucasian". I mean seriously, why do some people get to put down "african-american" or at "pacific islander", and I have to group myself together with who knows how many nationalities? I mean, i'm not from Caucasia, for god's sakes! So anyway, I usually put down "other" and then fill in "Ukranian". I doubt they even care, since either way it's not a minority, but it's my own little pet peeve and I just won't budge. If you want, do the same, just put down "West Indian" - if they ask why, just don't say "because I thought it would make my app better"!!!

And don't worry about the harsh responses; such are the bitter minds of nervous, OC pre-meds. Myself included, actually, your post just didn't piss me off ;)

- Quid

no...don't claim a false ethnicity just b/c you think it might help you get in. go with who you are and don't rely on an ethnic classification to help you slide into med school. if your personality and qualifications are good enough, you'll get in regardless of whether you're indian, filipino, hispanic, or caucasian.

I actually think that putting down "West Indian" when you're not is a totally dishonest route to medical school and completely abuses the system for those who legitimately are from the West Indies. If you are Indian, you are Indian. It's very wrong to lie and say you are something you're not just to get into med school.

Actually, I just re-read your post... you're NOT actually West Indian? If you're not, I wouldn't put it down... it might cause you problems, and at the very least it's wrong... i'm silly, but at least I really AM Ukranian :cool:

- Quid

dude, i'm indian, and i don't think it hurt me at all... don't buy the hype... if you put together a good applicatoin, you'll get in... all of those kids telling you how impossible it is to get in if you're indian are feeding you lies... good luck!

ya.. im starting to see the light..

stress from tryin to get my apps in and mcats and **** is making my mind go nuts. every stupid idea someone throws at me, i start considering it.. its def good i asked huh.

i need sleep. goodnight.