I hate admissions people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

25liz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
No one will give me the time of day! I know they are busy but couldn't just one set up a admissions couseling session or tell me if I have a chance in hell? I know I'm years of work away from Med school, even though I already have a degree, but I'm willing to work at it. I just want some feedback to see if I'm going about this the right way!
Here's my story if you care to hear it:
I graduated from an unknown public college with a B.S. in biochemistry. I screwed up my last two years and ended up with a 2.7 GPA. I blame uninterested advisors and my own stupidity for that. I am willing to get a second B.S. but it will be at an even lesser known college. Do schools like a lot of courses or do they look down on it? I am over 25 and have worked in a microbiology lab since graduating.
Can anyone give me some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey cheer up, all is not lost if you are committed to this pathway.
Why don't you go ahead with your education and get a masters instead of back to BS.
This way your education is continuing and you get more research experience and publications.
In the mean time get yourself into some clinical setting as much as possible for as long as possible so that you will have lots of exposure to medicine and great recs from DR.s
Good Luck

The advice and information you can get here on SDN is just as accurate and helpful as the stuff you'll get from "admissions counselors." Most Admissions Offices don't have admissions counselors anyway.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're simply asking the wrong people the right questions.

Adcoms are for people who are all ready to apply and get in to schools, not to guide those far away from the admissions process. You need to talk to a premed advisor at your most recent school, or some AMCAS publications (some are available at local libraries). You need to look at schools' web sites to get a feel for who gets in with what prereqs and what stats. Then, if you have specific questions, call the admissions folks.
smile.gif
Good luck!

Also keep in mind that you are trying to contact the admissions offices during the busiest time of the year for them -- try calling again in May -- you will probably get some friendlier voices on the other end of the line...

What everyone has said so far is right on. The Admissions people are typically pretty snippy with undergrads and people far off from applying to med school. Your best bet is to find a pre-med advisor to talk to, either through the school you graduated from, or the one you plan on going to if you go back for a degree.

I have been to several informational meetings for pre-med students that had speakers from the Admissions office of U of M, Wayne State, and MSU. After listening to many of these people speak on several occasions, I can give you some general advice from people that asked similiar questions at these functions:

If you've been out of school for a couple years, they want you to prove that you can handle the course load of medical school. So you should probably take a semester or two of science classes, and do well in them. It's not necessary to get a second degree, or even a masters as long as you take the pre-med requirements and do reasonably well.

You will need a strong MCAT score. If you already took it, but it's been a few years, you should probably re-take it.

Having the degree in biochem already is definately a plus. Biochem is one of the classes first years typically have a hard time with, and chem majors in general are accepted at a higher rate than bio majors because their course load is usually more difficult and this makes them stronger candidates. The microbio background will also look good as well. You didn't mention any clinical experience though. I feel I should mention that this is becoming very important and can easily make or break you. Admissions panels want students that have a history of volunteering or working in a clinical setting. The job can be as simple as pouring water for patients or as intensive as an EMT, etc. At the school I plan on applying to, you won't even be considered if you don't have some clinical exposure. A lot of schools are following this trend. So if you aren't already, it's prolly best for you to start volunteering now a couple hours a week, while you take some classes part time to brush up on stuff.

And I know you didn't mention this, but I just wanted to give you some reassurance about your age. The people I've talked to have accepted students in their 30's and 40's before. I say this because I know it's often disheartening when you realize how many classes you need and how old you will be before you can even apply. Especially when there are 18 year olds fresh out of high school sitting next to you in your organic or physics class or something! I didn't really decide until my 4th year at college that I wanted to go into medicine and in many ways I'm starting over. It's most likely going to take me 6 years just to get my B.S. 'cause I switched majors so many times. Argh! It's nice to know that there's always going to be people that are even older than you going back and doing the same thing - so don't get discouraged by the process. Anyway, I hope this helps. You should see if your university has a pre-med student association, like a pre-med chapter of AMSA. These kind of groups often have informational meetings with admissions officers, and you could use this as an opportunity to pick their brains on your particular situation.

------------------
^v^

Thank you all, I am feeling much better about everything. I know I can do this even if it takes ten years, I'm glad I have a supportive husband. Thanks again and good luck to all of you.