i hate patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggcu382

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year. I have to get something off my chest and an anonymous forum is the best place to do it. I seriously hate patients. I couldn't care less about their stupid problems. I have no desire to listen to their boring life stories. Most of them are total losers who have never and will never amount to anything. The rest of them are complete ghetto trash. I honestly wish they would die so their trashy DNA wouldn't get propogated. I don't want to waste my life dealing with these pathetic losers. So why am I still here? Well two major reasons: 1) I'm asian and I've been brainwashed since birth into believing that doctors are the pinnacle of everything. 2) I'm so far in debt from school and if I leave I have no way to pay it back. I honestly feel like punching these *****s in the face for wasting my life. I can't deal with this for 2 more years + residency. I'm going to flip. I wish I could get my money back and leave.

Members don't see this ad.

Pathology, radiology, surgery and non-clinical jobs. All reasonable options.

Optotroll2? If you're going to evade the ban, you might want to take a different strategy than creating a new username that's the same as the last plus a number that's one greater than your last one. lol

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a third year. I have to get something off my chest and an anonymous forum is the best place to do it. I seriously hate patients. I couldn't care less about their stupid problems. I have no desire to listen to their boring life stories. Most of them are total losers who have never and will never amount to anything. The rest of them are complete ghetto trash. I honestly wish they would die so their trashy DNA wouldn't get propogated. I don't want to waste my life dealing with these pathetic losers. So why am I still here? Well two major reasons: 1) I'm asian and I've been brainwashed since birth into believing that doctors are the pinnacle of everything. 2) I'm so far in debt from school and if I leave I have no way to pay it back. I honestly feel like punching these *****s in the face for wasting my life. I can't deal with this for 2 more years + residency. I'm going to flip. I wish I could get my money back and leave.
It'd be hilarious if in real life you were this clean cut enthusiastic seeming 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol maybe. Eventually I'll get bored of showing the admins that they have no real power and I'll choose a random non-suspicious username and continue my subtle trolling.

Your trolling is pretty far from subtle bro. Lol

the new name is hilarious; btw are you just really bored or something?

I love this.

To try to stay on topic....

Pathology and Radiology are the big non patient contact specialties. If you can try to do a rotation in those, and see if you like them, you can try that. It sucks that you're in this hole, and I don't wanna judge you personally. One of the things that I feel sorry for are people who were forced into certain careers because of "parental pressure", only to later find out they hate their profession. Unfortunately with medicine(especially since now you are in your 3rd year), it's hard to get out. Then again, if you managed to survive 2 years, something had to keep you going right?

As far as surgery goes, you will have tons of patient contact so if you truly can't stand patients, you'll be miserable as a surgeon. After all, it's not like all you do is walk into an OR of a sedated patient, cut away, and walk off. So if you hate talking to patients, you'll be miserable every day...

I'm also wondering how the hell you managed to get accepted via interview if these are your real thoughts...?
Unless this is a troll >.< But in any case, the above post stands as there are people I know IRL who like medicine but hate patient contact and I'm sure there might be similar people around.

Last edited:
To try to stay on topic....

Pathology and Radiology are the big non patient contact specialties. If you can try to do a rotation in those, and see if you like them, you can try that. It sucks that you're in this hole, and I don't wanna judge you personally. One of the things that I feel sorry for are people who were forced into certain careers because of "parental pressure", only to later find out they hate their profession. Unfortunately with medicine(especially since now you are in your 3rd year), it's hard to get out. Then again, if you managed to survive 2 years, something had to keep you going right?

As far as surgery goes, you will have tons of patient contact so if you truly can't stand patients, you'll be miserable as a surgeon. After all, it's not like all you do is walk into an OR of a sedated patient, cut away, and walk off. So if you hate talking to patients, you'll be miserable every day...

good advice, but me thinks OP is in OD school...

Signs you are dealing with a troll (tm)
- makes remark about Asians and medical school
- makes disparaging remark about the community in which they practice because they don't like people from the inner city and it makes their suburban upbringing uncomfortable
- suggestions of sociopathy

Members don't see this ad :)
- makes disparaging remark about the community in which they practice because they don't like people from the inner city and it makes their suburban upbringing uncomfortable

You really should get a patent on that.

I'm a little uncomfortable with people from the inner city too. Never know when they're going to pull a "gat" on me. However, their hilarious slang more than makes up for it.

This exact dx/criteria will be in the DSM-V in the same section as the new internet dependence dx.

This exact dx/criteria will be in the DSM-V in the same section as the new internet dependence dx.

I should probably add minor criteria:
- makes multiple faux accounts and gets banned a la shnurek
- has internet tough guy attitude in response to simple questions

I could be on to something here. Move aside, Jones Criteria.

Check out Pathology and Diagnostic Radiology. Those are your best and only real options for minimal patient contact.

We had a 4th year on his Sub-I on medicine who was going into pathology. He did just enough to skate by and blatantly seemed to dislike his patients. It happens, and there are a few careers that it can work for.

Alternatively, you can get your MD and then go into lab research with possibly a PhD.

come on..no one will admit they haven't had inklings of these feelings no matter what patient care field they are in???

:nod::nod::nod:

come on..no one will admit they haven't had inklings of these feelings no matter what patient care field they are in???

:nod::nod::nod:

This. Any med student who denies having had feelings like this is either lying or has his head too far up the rectum of his own moral high horse to look in the mirror.

You're going to be a terrible doctor and I feel sorry for your patients.

Clinical medicine is sunshine, roses, compliant patients, and idealistic doctors saving lives. I don't understand why anyone ever becomes cynical!!

I haven't become cynical of patients. I'm not idealistic, but I haven't thought to myself "Oh great, I dont want to bother with this loser!" or roll my eyes after talking with a patient. Patient encounters are probably my favorite part of rotations. The only thing I've been jaded of are certain aspects of specialties :p

Ask me again after intern year, maybe it'll be different.

This. Any med student who denies having had feelings like this is either lying or has his head too far up the rectum of his own moral high horse to look in the mirror.

There's a big difference between occasional frustration with annoying patients (which, surprise, you're going to always run into in the inner city population) and an inner dislike of the patient population that you are training with because they're "ghetto".

The word "ghetto" is seriously overly utilized by certain "groups".

And for every annoying poor patient, there is an equally annoying wealthy one.

Ya, I think some people seem to have this shock when dealing with "poor" patients. A lot of the patients in that group seem kinda nice. There are annoying patients in all populations(young, old, poor, middle class, rich, black, white, straight, gay, the list goes on), but that's the general nature of a service career and human society. I wouldn't say most people are annoying or bad to deal with. If people have the same mentality as the OP where they have a great hatred for those people and think they aren't worth the time, they have to choose a career where they don't communicate with customers.

Unless you have a practice where you only see the select group that you want and deny everyone else.

No lie, I had a wealthy patient who was unhappy with my attending's decision not to get a consult so he made the consult himself by calling the hospital operator and having them page the consultant by pretending he was a doctor.

But in the end, for every annoying patient, you get an appreciative one who makes you remember why you went into medicine.

The word "ghetto" is seriously overly utilized by certain "groups".

Most of my poor patients have been more appreciative if anything. The entitled wealthy patients can be a real pain sometimes.

When you become an intern you will begin to loathe patients even more.

new york is a **** hole anyway. just go somewhere else for residency

Agree, wholeheartedly. Just come to Times Square once and you'll see what scumbags live here.

If you are in a BS/MD program, it will be easier for you to get out. Definitely don't go into surgery... your attitude will affect your patient care in a bad way... I would recommend leaving medicine and switching over to a BS track in something you like. Have you considered law? Or physics?

Agree, wholeheartedly. Just come to Times Square once and you'll see what scumbags live here.

He's baaaaaack!

BTW real New Yorkers avoid Times Square like it's the plague. Not representative of NYC life... at all.

Ok, time to ISP ban this guy.

He's baaaaaack!

BTW real New Yorkers avoid Times Square like it's the plague. Not representative of NYC life... at all.

Ok, time to ISP ban this guy.

heh, no kidding. makes you realize that not even the "I'm from NYC" part of optotroll's persona is real.

Times Square is a tourist place. Most people in their 20s don't go there...it's mainly for visitors. The Village, other parts of Midtown, Union Square are some amazing places. :)

You're going to be a terrible doctor and I feel sorry for your patients.

That's BOARD CERTIFIED Terrible Doctor to you!

:soexcited:

Let's have a real discussion when you have PRACTICED medicine after your residency for at least 3 years. Talk to you then. Let's see how your 'Ms. Sunshine' attitude reflects then.

:slap:

Can you say pure diagnostics. . .like pathology, diagnostic (not interventional) radiology, and possibly forensics--but even then there will be some vulnerable souls with whom you will have to deal.

Pretty much the answer was already put forth. Maybe you could do something with bioengineering.

All physicians should really care about people though. . .regardless of the amount of actual contact.

This is why picking medical students predominantly b/c of numbers is messed up.

Let's have a real discussion when you have PRACTICED medicine after your residency for at least 3 years. Talk to you then. Let's see how your 'Ms. Sunshine' attitude reflects then.

oh-snap_o_187327.gif

As a person who is about to graduate, I can say that for me the experience with patients definitely has its ups and downs (especially for me, who is going into EM). Yeah, you have those patients who repeatedly show up intoxicated or the ones are so grumpy that they can't be bothered to answer simple H&P questions and instead yell at you to "look in their chart." I literally had a guy up and leave the ED because I asked him a question about his PMH. You have to roll with the punches with these people. If they are going to be ungrateful about the time you are spending with them then that is their loss.

But then you have those patients who come in pregnant with vaginal bleeding and after you work them up you can tell the that their baby is OK. That's a pretty sweet feeling. Or repairing some guy's busted up head lac at 3am while you and him shoot the **** -- also pretty awesome.

Sounds incredibly corny, but I've found it incredibly helpful to reflect on some of the stuff I saw after a busy shift. It's hard while you're in the trenches going from patient to patient, but afterwards when I've thought about different encounters I've realized what kind of impact my care must've had on the patient.

I consider myself to be a cynical person. I've left patient's rooms feeling apathetic and even disgusted at times. The point is, if you don't recognize this feeling and deal with it you are setting yourself up for bad times ahead. Every patient encounter isn't all candy and roses but please realize that usually for every patient that makes you feel this way there's another that's incredibly appreciative, patient, and truly worth your time.

You know what burnette's law is, right?

and to the OP (who is now banned :eek::D) yeah, patients can suck. I like very many of them. Some of them suck. Havent had much clinical exposure yet, but enough to have formed this opinion. And I can imagine more of them going into the "suck" category after several years in the clinic.

and to the OP (who is now banned :eek::D) yeah, patients can suck. I like very many of them. Some of them suck. Havent had much clinical exposure yet, but enough to have formed this opinion. And I can imagine more of them going into the "suck" category after several years in the clinic.

The bolded part is what I agree with.

nice to c you following crew around like her lapdog

nice to c you following crew around like her lapdog

Again, I am pretty sure crew is a dude who likes pictures of asian chicks.

Also, it happens when you dredge up half a dozen posts over immature nonsense in the forum I frequent most. :shrug: Your wife taking half of your things or something? You seem grumpy and there is just no legitimate reason for it.

Damn, the admins seem to be dropping the banhammer quite frequently nowadays.

Still can't catch the Shnurek I see :D

201665_o.gif

Geez, this is pretty pathetic, Shnurek. You must seriously have no life.