I hate this attitudes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mukorak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 3rd year interested in Anesthesia, let me thank all who post here with all the good info y'all have. Your knowledge is priceless

I just wanted to vent my frustrations with the attitudes I am given every time I am asked the question 'so what do you want to go into?' and I reply Anesthesiology.
This answer is always met with amazement and the following reactions (90% of the time);
- I am asked why I want to go into anesthesia, not just you casual 'why?' but the questions is framed in such a way that I am being asked to really defend my choice. I doubt I would get the 'why' everytime I said I wanted to go into e.g. peds.
- The person asking me takes this opportunity to let me know how good a lifestyle anesthesia is and how I will have lots of free time. Mark you, none of them are anesthesiologists.

The most recent interesting conversation was with my recently assigned mentor. He is in Oby-Gyn but apparently started out with a year in surgery then a year in anesthesia before he went into Gyn. he was in Anesthesia about 9 or 10 years ago. He told me his oppinion of anesthesia is that CNA's are capable of doing all that MD's do and that Anesthesia is like flying a plane, once you do what you need to do at the beginning, you can sit back and relax and cruise. He made sure to point out that he has friends still in anesthesia 'and they all have big houses'. No kidding!

Can't wait for my anesthesia rotation to start. I need some love!

Members don't see this ad.

mukorak said:
As a 3rd year interested in Anesthesia, let me thank all who post here with all the good info y'all have. Your knowledge is priceless

I just wanted to vent my frustrations with the attitudes I am given every time I am asked the question 'so what do you want to go into?' and I reply Anesthesiology.
This answer is always met with amazement and the following reactions (90% of the time);
- I am asked why I want to go into anesthesia, not just you casual 'why?' but the questions is framed in such a way that I am being asked to really defend my choice. I doubt I would get the 'why' everytime I said I wanted to go into e.g. peds.
- The person asking me takes this opportunity to let me know how good a lifestyle anesthesia is and how I will have lots of free time. Mark you, none of them are anesthesiologists.

The most recent interesting conversation was with my recently assigned mentor. He is in Oby-Gyn but apparently started out with a year in surgery then a year in anesthesia before he went into Gyn. he was in Anesthesia about 9 or 10 years ago. He told me his oppinion of anesthesia is that CNA's are capable of doing all that MD's do and that Anesthesia is like flying a plane, once you do what you need to do at the beginning, you can sit back and relax and cruise. He made sure to point out that he has friends still in anesthesia 'and they all have big houses'. No kidding!

Can't wait for my anesthesia rotation to start. I need some love!

I'm a third year as well. i get asked the same questions and get the same replies!!!

infact i was in surgery today with a resident and an attending. both looked at the head of the table and like, "if i could do all of this over again i would do what he's doing". mind you, you know who was sitting reading a mag at the head of the table....atleast it was a scientific journal ;) ;)

"Anesthesia is like flying a plane, once you do what you need to do at the beginning, you can sit back and relax and cruise."

As a senior anesthesia resident, it is my opinion that anyone who would make such a ridiculous statement doesn't know s..t from shinola.

I wish your buddy was with us the other day when we did an open triple A with bilateral iliac vessels as well. My attending and I barely had two minutes where we were not in constant motion pumping in fluids, managing hemodynamics, adjusting meds and keeping the patient stable. It was just a "routine" case, but the sense of accomplishment I get from seeing a patient come thru something like this without any complications and delivering them to the ICU extubated and stable never diminshes.

Anesthesia can seem like you're on autopilot at times, but that can change in the blink of the eye when the crap hits the fan. It requires you to be an internist, a cardiologist, a pulmonologistand even an endocrinologist, all in the course of one case. It is certainly NOT the easiest job in medicine. But if it turns you on, go for it and just let the words of the jealous go in one ear and out the other. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Right on, trapper. Whenever people start that now I just smile and nod, or agree with them when they say "they have big houses"--I have heard that too, or that its easy/boring/nurse's work. To be honest, I did not know if it would be easy or boring until I did my 4th year elctive and was able to prove to myself that it was a blast. Also, I did not understand until recently the differences in the NA/MD field and how the team interacts, so they truly don't know. I think outsiders often have misconceptions of other specialties, like what someone attacks derm (boring, lazy, lots o' money) or radiology (ditto), etc., that has a grain of truth to it but gets blown up--sometimes cases are boring or easy, some are done exclusively by nurse-anesthetists (and not just boring or easy ones, another misconception I had), some anesthesiologists have made a lot of money. I guess its just a way of jabbing at the other specialty, perhaps in fun, but maybe as a defense mechanism to defend their own choice, especially for people like OB's who are incredibly bitter right now.

I used to try to defend anesthesiology as well, and tried to convert the heathens, but now I just let them bask in their ignorance ;) . They are happy in their field (maybe) and I'm happy with mine. :)

trapper john said:
"Anesthesia is like flying a plane, once you do what you need to do at the beginning, you can sit back and relax and cruise."

As a senior anesthesia resident, it is my opinion that anyone who would make such a ridiculous statement doesn't know s..t from shinola.

I wish your buddy was with us the other day when we did an open triple A with bilateral iliac vessels as well. My attending and I barely had two minutes where we were not in constant motion pumping in fluids, managing hemodynamics, adjusting meds and keeping the patient stable. It was just a "routine" case, but the sense of accomplishment I get from seeing a patient come thru something like this without any complications and delivering them to the ICU extubated and stable never diminshes.

Anesthesia can seem like you're on autopilot at times, but that can change in the blink of the eye when the crap hits the fan. It requires you to be an internist, a cardiologist, a pulmonologistand even an endocrinologist, all in the course of one case. It is certainly NOT the easiest job in medicine. But if it turns you on, go for it and just let the words of the jealous go in one ear and out the other. :cool:

What about turbulence? Whomever said this likewise doesn't understand what a pilot does either.

-Skip

Just to add my 2 cents ;)
Even with that obvious bias about "boring" and "uneventful", I must admit, that when you already work as an attending, you'd rather have a "borig'" or "uneventful" case, than overly "turbulent".
This also is correct for pilots - all of them would prefer to have "boring" flight instead of any "interesting events".

I'm an MS3 and get this question too. Usually from people who are going to do surgery or OB or something else that makes one miserable. I just say, "I don't know, I just really like it. Why are you going to do ____?" Usually they just realize it was a dumb question. Beware, some might proceed to seriously answer your question and that gets really boring really fast.

Sometimes I got negative feedback from big primary care attendings at my school when they inquired as to why I liked anesthesiology as well.

What you need to remember is that you are in this for yourself. As an anesthesiologist, you are an important physician with skills that are not commonplace and knowledge that is specialized. Regardless of specialty, in theory, you provide patient care. You pick something YOU can see yourself doing for the rest of your career, not what someone else wants you to be. In a few short years, as an anesthesiologist, you will be a respected, hard-working, part of the team. Surgeons in private or academic practice need to provide positive feedback since anesthesiologist's work allows them to work, and vice versa.

You paid for your MD/DO with your student loans and your hard work, to he11 with other people's agendas.

In the layperson's world I have found usually one of two responses. The first and most common is "wow, that makes a bunch of money!" and another
"You went into that because you couldn't become a surgeon, right?" ---As if I wanted to do that anyways. Who cares!

Don't worry about what other people think..you get to enjoy or suffer based on what you choose in life.
Take care!

An internal medicine attending this year told me anesthesia was a worthless field and that my talents would be best used elsewhere. I told him I expected that sort of behavior from an old timer IM guy and gave him a big fat grin. Every other attending told me I had made the best career move possible. Go figure.

Same here, I had a peds attending ask me over lunch why I chose anesthesia. She had a stupid little grin on her face the whole time I was answering. Ignore these people they are usually the most miserable bastards who just try to bring others down. Just yesterday I had a urologist tell me that going into anesthesia was "a very smart move". I agree....July is so close I can smell IT!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait!! :D

hoyden said:
Just to add my 2 cents ;)
Even with that obvious bias about "boring" and "uneventful", I must admit, that when you already work as an attending, you'd rather have a "borig'" or "uneventful" case, than overly "turbulent".
This also is correct for pilots - all of them would prefer to have "boring" flight instead of any "interesting events".

Another word for that is maturity. ;)

Amazing how people can talk about things that they have no clue about. Those of us with previous residencies/careers (CambieMD this one's for you), have personal experience with the reality that is the modern medical environment and you will find it truly difficult to locate a truly unhappy anesthesiologist. I found one, ONE mind you, and she is the only person I have ever encountered.

On the verge of signing my first (and hopefully only) contract, I can reflect on all that I have seen and been through to get to this position and I have one regret only: that I didn't make the switch sooner.

Come on guys...can you not keep a secret. Going on and on like this makes it difficult for a not-so-competitive applicant like me. My fellow classmates that have been gunning for orthopedics/ent/optho/urology/.... are going to read your posts and realize the truth.

Thanks god I have been shaking hands with some anesthesia faculty for the last 2 years. I hope my early interest is a BIG plus!

Good posts guys,
Coop

Just yesterday I told my program that I am leaving and switching to Anesthesiology in July. They took the news a lot better than I expected, but I just wanted to reiterate what everyone else is saying. My favorite attending, whose service I'm on now and who is also relatively happy with his career, told me I was making the best decision of my life. Even some of my fellow residents have told me that they are jealous of my decision and envy me for having the guts to change. So on the good days at work when I wonder if I made the right decision, I just think of all the bad days and all the people who wish they would have done the same thing and I'm that much closer to July!

Gotta echo coop528s thoughts! Cant you guys maybe keep this discussion on the down low for a little while...say maybe untill next year....preferably after the match sometime???????

Then feel free to tell everybody, about how great gas is!!!! ;)

Ha Ha just kidding!(no seriously keep it quiet fella's!)

timtye78 said:
In the layperson's world I have found usually one of two responses. The first and most common is "wow, that makes a bunch of money!" and another
"You went into that because you couldn't become a surgeon, right?" ---As if I wanted to do that anyways. Who cares!

The two reactions I get from laypeople are "you guys just put people to sleep, right? Isn't that boring?" and "wow, when I had my surgery a few years ago I had the nicest anesthesiologist- I was scared but he got me through it, you're going into a great field. Good for you!"

The latter more than makes up for the former. Perhaps surprisingly (or not), laypeople hardly ever mention money or lifestlyle to me.

I find that med students who are going into other fields are often interested in anesthesia but don't seem to have the guts to break away from the mainstream fields. They seem intrigued, but just aren't willing to take the leap. I think this occurs for a number of reasons, but one, I think, is the perceived lack of competitiveness to get into the field. If it's easy to get a spot, it can't be that good, right? Psych and neurology don't get much respect either. Silly med students. If they only knew!

I think part of the problem is that medical students don't get much exposure to anesthesia unless they choose to do an elective. I've had that question: "Why would you do anesthesia? ? asked by at least as many classmates as faculty. So I think the misperceptions start young. As the person in charge of recruitment for our anesthesia interest group, I decided on a simple way to change at least some of these people's view early on, so I spammed the M1s and M2s and told them how much anesthesiologists get paid, what hours they work, and how you can within reason go wherever you want for residency. That got about 80 responses of "Wow, I've never even heard or considered anesthesia." We then got many of these underclassmen down to the OR for shadowing, and then out to other meetings, and so forth. I think more will consider at least doing an anesthesia rotation than usual, and we may even get more applicants out of it, rather than most of my classmates who see an anesthesia rotation as an extra vacation month.

UTSouthwestern said:
Amazing how people can talk about things that they have no clue about. Those of us with previous residencies/careers (CambieMD this one's for you), have personal experience with the reality that is the modern medical environment and you will find it truly difficult to locate a truly unhappy anesthesiologist. I found one, ONE mind you, and she is the only person I have ever encountered.

On the verge of signing my first (and hopefully only) contract, I can reflect on all that I have seen and been through to get to this position and I have one regret only: that I didn't make the switch sooner.

Congrats on coming to the end of at least one long road, UTSouthwestern!!!

I have spent four years in primary care. I paid my dues so I have to explain my change of direction to anyone. I haven't even told some of my colleagues. They will look up one day and no more Cambie.

The public and other docs do not have to understand what you do. However they cannot do anything but respect you if you execute your duties whith the highest level of skill and professionalism.

Obviously, anesthesia is special and unique. I do not want everyone in surgery to change to anesthesia because they provide us with patients.
Everyone has a role. Nothing is wrong with surgery if you are well suited for that field. Some guys will operate even if they are sick, they like surgery that much.

Anesthesiology has been around for a long time and will continue to be around.

CambieMD

p.s.
New England by 15.

GAZZMAN said:
Gotta echo coop528s thoughts! Cant you guys maybe keep this discussion on the down low for a little while...say maybe untill next year....preferably after the match sometime???????

Then feel free to tell everybody, about how great gas is!!!! ;)

Ha Ha just kidding!(no seriously keep it quiet fella's!)

i feel your pain! MS3 here too :D

CambieMD said:
Congrats on coming to the end of at least one long road, UTSouthwestern!!!

I have spent four years in primary care. I paid my dues so I have to explain my change of direction to anyone. I haven't even told some of my colleagues. They will look up one day and no more Cambie.

The public and other docs do not have to understand what you do. However they cannot do anything but respect you if you execute your duties whith the highest level of skill and professionalism.

Obviously, anesthesia is special and unique. I do not want everyone in surgery to change to anesthesia because they provide us with patients.
Everyone has a role. Nothing is wrong with surgery if you are well suited for that field. Some guys will operate even if they are sick, they like surgery that much.

Anesthesiology has been around for a long time and will continue to be around.

CambieMD

p.s.
New England by 15.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. I have had a wonderful month doing VA cardiac this January and I was speaking with a surgery resident whom I have only the utmost respect for and while he acknowledges that his life is as hectic as it could possibly be, he loves doing what he is doing and would rather be sleepless and busy all the time doing what he loves than have an easier life doing something he has no interest in doing. Everyone has to decide what they enjoy the most about medicine and what would keep them happy every day they work. For some it is the joy of spending countless hours talking and comforting patients in a clinic. For some it is cutting out a cancer or fixing a heart. For others, it is bringing a patient through any kind of surgery in a safe and amnestic fashion.

Certainly reimbursement has to be a factor but if that is the major factor for your career decision, you will most assuredly be one who will always wonder if they are truly following their heart and life calling.

p.s. New England by 28