I hate waiting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symphony101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who wants to break into the AAMC facilities w/me and get our scores back??:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a constant state of mood swings thanks to AAMC.

First I go on SDN and read about how everybody scored so much higher than their practice tests.

Then I go back on SDN and read some horrifying account of how a person's practice scores ranged from 29 to 35 and yet she got a 22 on the real thing,

*dies from nervous system overload*

First I go on SDN and read about how everybody scored so much higher than their practice tests.

Then I go back on SDN and read some horrifying account of how a person's practice scores ranged from 29 to 35 and yet she got a 22 on the real thing,

That will probably be me. :(

I feel nauseated just thinking about it. :barf:

Yes, one moment I picture myself being all witty and successful at my interviews this fall, and another I'm contemplating driving my car into a brick wall at 140 mph.

It sucks when your entire app is hinged on your MCAT score. If I had a 3.9, I wouldn't worry as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I start answering imaginary interview questions in my head... I do that quite a bit now.

"Oh yes, I think my experience as a volunteer really solidified my decision to pursue medicine.. blah blah"

and then I realize that there's possiblity I won't even get to do that interview.

damn you mcat score. get thyself released.

Yes, one moment I picture myself being all witty and successful at my interviews this fall, and another I'm contemplating driving my car into a brick wall at 140 mph.

Honestly when I think about it I wouldn't be too upset about a terrible score. Something that would weed me out of this year's app (say, a mid-20s) would be way below my practice scores, so I'd see it as an opportunity. If I did poorly I'll delay a year, build up my credentials and study the crap out of the MCAT all though the fall, then take the test in January and try to score 6-12 points higher. That difference in scores will definitely get ADCOM's attentions, and in interviews I can say "about that - my score improved because when I realized how difficult want I wanted to do was going to be I stepped up to the challenge, which is why you should save me a seat."

Obviously I hope I didn't bomb the test (4/7 taker) because I want to get in this cycle, but if there's consolation in knowing that if I did, it's a potential advantage.

I see where you are going with this, I'm kind of in a similar boat due to grades.

That's one of the reasons I've finally decided against applying DO this year - I'm Canadian, so for me DO is really the last resort, because they're limited to FM only in Canada, and while I'm interested in FM, I want options if at all possible. Instead, I'm doing a year post-bacc this fall. I have a low BCPM and took very few science courses, and yet the ones I took in the last 2 years I did well in (just 2 freshman year courses dragging my BCPM down). So I know if I don't get in this year, next year I'll be much more competitive. While my cumulative may not rise TOO much - I got a 3.5 now after 4 years, so even a full year of nothing but As will only give me a 3.6 (not exactly super-duper if you are an international applicant), but my BCPM can rise from 3.4 to 3.7, and that's a whole different story.

So considering that this one extra year can make me so much more competitive, I was able to resist the lure of DO (though I'm still finding out more about it in case I don't do as well as I'm hoping to.....or flunk the MCAT :mad: lol). But the temptation is sure there, especially since I will have been out of school for 2 years even if I do get in during this upcoming cycle, and not getting in will mean yet another year wasted.

Yes. It doesn't help that I was on a downward slope of my practice test scores when I took the exam. I put off the April 7th to April 16th due to class scheduling, and my practice test scores went down. Not horribly, but down.

My boyfriend will be in town on May 16, so I may need tlc when I get my scores. Or alcohol.

It doesn't help that I'm on the fence too due to my GPA...